Life Jim, but not as we know it!

Numpty

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 09:08 am
Scientists believe they have found the first planet orbiting a star.

Planet 'found orbiting another sun' - Latest News - MSN Tech & Gadgets UK

Hopefully the first of Billions, but what does it really mean to us and what can we learn from this?

For me it further demonstrates that the chances of life, 'but not as we know it' on other planets around the universe become more and more a probability each day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 851 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:01 pm
@Numpty,
To say the life does not exist elsewhere because we have not yet found it, is the equivalent of looking outside your window, seeing no one, and concluding you are the only person on the planet.

the universe is so expansive it is a bit ridiculous to expect to find life so close to earth.

I don't think we will ever find intelligent life but i do think we will find life (even if microscopic) elsewhere within my lifetime.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:49 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;59986 wrote:
Scientists believe they have found the first planet orbiting a star.

Planet 'found orbiting another sun' - Latest News - MSN Tech & Gadgets UK

Hopefully the first of Billions, but what does it really mean to us and what can we learn from this?

For me it further demonstrates that the chances of life, 'but not as we know it' on other planets around the universe become more and more a probability each day.

A tad of correction...

This is not the first planet discovered orbiting another star. This is the first planet orbiting another "sun-like" star, i.e. a G-Class star (like our own). Whereas we've found literally hundreds of planets around other stars, their position and the star class usually knock them out of the running for being able to support human life (Upsilon Andromedae has a planet orbiting closer than Mercury with a year lasting all of five Earth days)

List of stars with confirmed extrasolar planets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also for additional reference and reading enjoyment:

Stellar classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies