'Big Bang' Machine begins operation

Numpty

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:23 am
So it begins, 'unlocking the secrets of the universe' the scientists say. 'End of the World' all the doubters say.

Well at 08.30 (GMT) the worlds bigest science experiment took place under ground in Switzerland, (and we are still here)

Quote:

The Large Hadron Collider | Special report | MSN UK News - news & weather

The Large Hadron Collider | Interactive graphic | MSN UK News - news & weather

The Large Hadron Collider | Explained by Professor Frank Close | Special report | MSN UK News - news & weather

Big bang machine 'absolutely safe' - | MSN News UK - news & weather

The Talking Point

Introducing the Big Bang machine - Tech and Gadget Features | Articles ? MSN Tech and Gadgets UK

Europe Pulls Ahead of U.S. in Physics - Newsweek articles on MSN UK News - news & weather

The Large Hadron Collider | In pictures| MSN UK News - news & weather

European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) - MSN Encarta

So what are your thoughts, did you even know this was taking place?

What do you hope this experiment will show us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:25 am
@Numpty,
I've been watching the LHC for quite some time. What will it show us? Hopefully the Higgs Boson.

I can tell you this, it won't be destroying the Earth or universe. Put the tinfoil hats and LSD down all you end-of-the-worlders.
Numpty

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:49 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;59412 wrote:
I've been watching the LHC for quite some time. What will it show us? Hopefully the Higgs Boson.

I can tell you this, it won't be destroying the Earth or universe. Put the tinfoil hats and LSD down all you end-of-the-worlders.

WOW, interesting stuff on the Higgs Boson.

Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC - Horizon - The Six Billion Dollar Experiment

So esentially if we see this 'God Particle' it will explain how we 'appear to get 'something from nothing'?

Or am I missunderstanding it?
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:19 am
@Numpty,
Another neat aspect of the LHC is its computing grid.

LHC Computing Grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The project is expected to generate 27 TB of raw data per day, plus 10 TB of "event summary data", which represents the output of calculations done by the CPU farm at the CERN data center... The LHC is expected to produce 10-15 petabytes of data each year.

That is a MASSIVE amount of data. I have 3TB of server storage at home for my personal needs, and this thing could fill it in minutes. Insane. We will be going through the data from the LHC for decades.
0 Replies