Barack Obama's $3 Million 'Overhead Projector' Actually Pretty Cool

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:02 am
Gadget Politics: Barack Obama's $3 Million 'Overhead Projector' Actually Pretty Cool

I'm already tired of hearing these guys talk, but that caught my ear. A $3 million projector? What does that even look like?

UNIVERSARIUM Looks a bit like that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 791 • Replies: 10
No top replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:58 am
@Sabz5150,
Cool as it may be, this type of luxury spending - like that of AIG's recent $400K boondogle, creates more public relation problems than it solves.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:04 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;60973 wrote:
Cool as it may be, this type of luxury spending - like that of AIG's recent $400K boondogle, creates more public relation problems than it solves.

It's an educational tool.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:15 am
@Sabz5150,
OK, but somehow we managed to get along without it thus far. This pet project should have been put off until after "the recovery" whatever that means and whenever that happens.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:37 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;60976 wrote:
OK, but somehow we managed to get along without it thus far. This pet project should have been put off until after "the recovery" whatever that means and whenever that happens.

What they have is horribly outdated. Also, I do not call our children's education a "pet project".
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:41 am
@Sabz5150,
Outdated..? Aren't the stars pretty much in the same position..? And a cool $3 mill - yes, sir, that is a pet project. If they took the same money and threw it at the classrooms in Chicago (where the grad rates are now at 50%) it would have been better spent - in my humble opinion.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:06 am
@socalgolfguy,
I have to agree with socal on this. I don't really think this is the time to be spending that kind of money on those kind of things.

I think the money would be better spent by creating public works projects, that would stimulate the economy.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:09 am
@Sabz5150,
To each their own, I suppose.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:31 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;61037 wrote:
To each their own, I suppose.

sabz - I appreciate that you're a science guy. I share your zeal for study. But, do not be blinded by your advocacy. There are immediate needs that deserve priority.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:12 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;61059 wrote:
sabz - I appreciate that you're a science guy. I share your zeal for study. But, do not be blinded by your advocacy. There are immediate needs that deserve priority.

Alright, I'll give you that. I will admit that there are many things more important than a planetarium. However you've gotta admit that this isn't just some "overhead projector" and that it actually serves a beneficial, educational purpose. It's not wasted money, it's money better spent elsewhere at the time, but it's not a waste.

As an aside, the device this thing was supposed to replace (they didn't get the funding, BTW) is 40 years old, starting to fail and no longer supported by its manufacturer. You asked if it was outdated... the answer is "Yes, very."

To get an idea of why this thing costs three-large, download a copy of a program called Celestia (it's open-source) and check that out. Imagine that up on a planetarium dome. That's why.

Celestia: Home
socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;61274 wrote:
Alright, I'll give you that. I will admit that there are many things more important than a planetarium. However you've gotta admit that this isn't just some "overhead projector" and that it actually serves a beneficial, educational purpose. It's not wasted money, it's money better spent elsewhere at the time, but it's not a waste.

As an aside, the device this thing was supposed to replace (they didn't get the funding, BTW) is 40 years old, starting to fail and no longer supported by its manufacturer. You asked if it was outdated... the answer is "Yes, very."

To get an idea of why this thing costs three-large, download a copy of a program called Celestia (it's open-source) and check that out. Imagine that up on a planetarium dome. That's why.

Celestia: Home

I love the idea of this great projector, truly. I think it's awe inspiring. I plan to visit it, if possible, on my next visit to the midwest. It just that this country needs other attention right now. It's like giving your drunk brother $1000 to pay his rent and he goes on vacation with it.
0 Replies