Trio Of Super-Earths: Harvest Of Low-mass Exoplanets Discovered With HARPS

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:03 am
Trio Of Super-Earths: Harvest Of Low-mass Exoplanets Discovered With HARPS

European astronomers have announced a remarkable breakthrough in the field of extra-solar planets. Using the HARPS instrument at the ESO La Silla Observatory, they have found a triple system of super-Earths around the star HD 40307. Moreover, looking at their entire sample studied with HARPS, the astronomers count a total of 45 candidate planets with a mass below 30 Earth masses and an orbital period shorter than 50 days. This implies that one solar-like star out of three harbours such planets.

Since the discovery in 1995 of a planet around the star 51 Pegasi by Mayor and Didier Queloz, more than 270 exoplanets have been found, mostly around solar-like stars. Most of these planets are giants, such as Jupiter or Saturn, and current statistics show that about 1 out of 14 stars harbours this kind of planet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 839 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 03:43 pm
@Sabz5150,
I think we might find life on other planets sometime within my lifetime.

also note that the observatory is called "La Silla" which in spanish literally translates to "The Chair".
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:30 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57989 wrote:
I think we might find life on other planets sometime within my lifetime.

also note that the observatory is called "La Silla" which in spanish literally translates to "The Chair".

The chances of that are increasing, although it may be a matter of "them finding us" first. Either way, the chances are rather up there. If you take the approximate number of stars in the galaxy (100 billion) and divide that by thirteen (~1 in 13 stars in the MWG are G-class, like our sun), then divide that by three (~1 in 3 "solar like stars" containing such planets)...

The result is 2,564,102,564. This only includes stars with planets that could potentially harbor life "as we know it".

Whole lotta real estate.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:48 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57991 wrote:
The chances of that are increasing, although it may be a matter of "them finding us" first.

I doubt it, i'm sure we'll run into microscopic lifeforms before we ever see intelligent life out there.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:22 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57994 wrote:
I doubt it, i'm sure we'll run into microscopic lifeforms before we ever see intelligent life out there.

That is true. I'm thinking that it will be found on one of Jupiter's or Saturn's moons, personally. It wouldn't surprise me if microbes (or their remains) were found on Mars, but IMHO we're barking up the wrong tree.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:21 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;57995 wrote:
That is true. I'm thinking that it will be found on one of Jupiter's or Saturn's moons, personally. It wouldn't surprise me if microbes (or their remains) were found on Mars, but IMHO we're barking up the wrong tree.

that's probably because it's easier to go to mars than it is to distant moons.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:31 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Mars lander finds bits of ice, scientists say - CNN.com

Well, how about that.
0 Replies