14 greatest engineering challenges of the 21st century

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:38 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
It's yield is quite low... more of a big kaboom rather than a small nuke.

A big kaboom still sucks and I don't think anyone would be very consoled by that fact.

Quote:
Given the latest advancements in technology, a sub-kiloton nuke could be fit inside a briefcase, but "the terrorists" (and 90% of the world) doesn't have that capability.

I thought you liked to refer to them as 'the terrorists.'
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:24 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;54021 wrote:
A big kaboom still sucks and I don't think anyone would be very consoled by that fact.

One which can be done cheaper, quicker and more effectively than a nuke. Aircraft for example, make excellent missiles with large explosions from what we've found out.

Honestly, can you tell me where a terrorist would acquire such an extremely high tech piece of weaponry? Have we ever made or seen one ourselves? Who in the world do we know who could make such a thing? Briefcase nukes are not a concern.

Quote:
I thought you liked to refer to them as 'the terrorists.'

"The terrorists", "Them" or "They" work nicely.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:03 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
Honestly, can you tell me where a terrorist would acquire such an extremely high tech piece of weaponry? Have we ever made or seen one ourselves? Who in the world do we know who could make such a thing? Briefcase nukes are not a concern.

See 'remote possibility.'
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:26 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;54051 wrote:
See 'remote possibility.'

Mountains out of molehills, then.
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:34 pm
@Sabz5150,
I am all for intergrating the gene from the cochroach that can survive radiation into our genetic code.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:28 pm
@I Understand,
I Understand;54121 wrote:
I am all for intergrating the gene from the cochroach that can survive radiation into our genetic code.

as long as we're at it we might as well geneticly engineer our skin to produce glucose from the sunlight just as plants do....
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 06:23 am
@I Understand,
I Understand;54121 wrote:

We've been around for a hundred million years and we'll be here long after you!

I'm sure if the world goes post-apocalyptic that what's left of us will evolve in that general direction.
0 Replies

politically-wrong

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:03 am
@Sabz5150,
are all former soviet nuke heads accounted for ? NO
where are they ? God only knows , and those who have it , or may be even they dont know it !!

drugs are sneaked in every day of the week , also how can u be sure that the iranian ambassador will not sneak in the first small iranian nuke through a "diplomatic bag" or whatever its called , and then Washington Kaboom !! , and u will never be able to prove how it came in , you would not even have an inclination how it happened!!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:05 pm
@politically-wrong,
politically-wrong;54136 wrote:
are all former soviet nuke heads accounted for ? NO
where are they ? God only knows , and those who have it , or may be even they dont know it !!

drugs are sneaked in every day of the week , also how can u be sure that the iranian ambassador will not sneak in the first small iranian nuke through a "diplomatic bag" or whatever its called , and then Washington Kaboom !! , and u will never be able to prove how it came in , you would not even have an inclination how it happened!!

Nothing but irrational fear-mongering. Russian nukes cannot fit in a hand bag or breifcase.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:08 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
[SIZE="4"]Unless you think this could fit in a hand bag...[/SIZE]

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/icmun/images/stories/russiannuke.jpg
politically-wrong

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:51 am
@Sabz5150,
Tell me again , who reports to you on the latest most secretive nuclear technology the whole world reached ?!!
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:44 am
@politically-wrong,
politically-wrong;54173 wrote:
Tell me again , who reports to you on the latest most secretive nuclear technology the whole world reached ?!!

That'd basically be us. We're on top of that game. If anyone's gonna make a itty-bitty nuke, it's gonna be us. The Soviets made a version of ol Davey up there a few posts back, but that's about as small as a nuke comes.

If such technology exists, only two countries could currently possess it: the USA and Israel.
0 Replies

politically-wrong

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 08:10 am
@Sabz5150,
check this out

Russian Claims Chechens Have Nuclear Device
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:07 am
@politically-wrong,
politically-wrong;54183 wrote:

There isn't much detail there. Also it claims that the weapon cannot be detonated.

Again, the yield of such a weapon and its difficulty to procure, activate and use make it a less desirable choice for actual usage, then it is to say "OOOOH! LOOK! WE HAS A NUKE!" I'm sure it's total output upon detonation doesn't hit half a kiloton.

Davey's output was usually 10 to 20 tons. Hardly true "nuke power". There's a steep cliff of diminishing returns when you miniaturize a nuclear weapon... a point where you don't get enough bang for your buck, excuse the pun. Of course, when people hear the word "nuke", they automatically think of the mushroom cloud making 20 megaton multiple warhead harbingers of death that couldn't fit on the back of a truck, much less in a suitcase.
politically-wrong

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:16 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;54186 wrote:
There isn't much detail there. Also it claims that the weapon cannot be detonated.

Again, the yield of such a weapon and its difficulty to procure, activate and use make it a less desirable choice for actual usage, then it is to say "OOOOH! LOOK! WE HAS A NUKE!" I'm sure it's total output upon detonation doesn't hit half a kiloton.

Davey's output was usually 10 to 20 tons. Hardly true "nuke power". There's a steep cliff of diminishing returns when you miniaturize a nuclear weapon... a point where you don't get enough bang for your buck, excuse the pun. Of course, when people hear the word "nuke", they automatically think of the mushroom cloud making 20 megaton multiple warhead harbingers of death that couldn't fit on the back of a truck, much less in a suitcase.

Granted , still what am trying to say is that there are small size nukes ( not neccessarily hand bag size but still small and easy to smuggle) secondly its not about how much detonation power it has , but about being able to actually smugle and activate a nuclear device inside the US , even if its explosive power is as big as a firecracker , those technical difficulties they mentioned were a few years ago , no body knows what happened since then!!
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:55 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;54151 wrote:
[SIZE="4"]Unless you think this could fit in a hand bag...[/SIZE]

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/icmun/images/stories/russiannuke.jpg

I don't know, women can fit some pretty crazy **** in their purses.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:29 am
@politically-wrong,
politically-wrong;54215 wrote:
Granted , still what am trying to say is that there are small size nukes ( not neccessarily hand bag size but still small and easy to smuggle) secondly its not about how much detonation power it has , but about being able to actually smugle and activate a nuclear device inside the US , even if its explosive power is as big as a firecracker , those technical difficulties they mentioned were a few years ago , no body knows what happened since then!!

If you made a firecracker nuke, Spencers would be calling you Very Happy

I'd buy one, too.

The usual idea behind a nuke is to get such an immense and unbelievable amount of kaboom versus actual delivered package size. Fifty million tons of TNT worth the kaboom in a package the size of a Greyhound is a bang to buck ratio you can't beat. Ten to twenty tons however, perfectly deliverable by nuclear device, can be better acquired and delivered via a modified van or panel truck. All of what you would need to concoct an equivalent explosion can be found domestically, assembled cheaper, acquired easier, and delivered quieter. Again, as we have recently learned, aircraft are excellent candidates for this and can be had for the low low price of a coach ticket and a few boxcutters.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:04 pm
@politically-wrong,
politically-wrong;54173 wrote:

Russian Cold war nukes could hardly be deemed as "The latest nuclear technology"!

The nukes from the cold war were big and unwieldly, not something you could fit in a briefcase.
0 Replies