Tool use is just a trick of the mind

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:22 am
Tool Use Is Just a Trick of the Mind -- Balter 2008 (128): 2 -- ScienceNOW

Scientists have discovered what gives us the ability to use tools. Apparently the brain treats the tool as a part of the body. Neat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 805 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:23 pm
@Sabz5150,
there used to be a time when people thought only humans were capable of tool use.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;52242 wrote:
Tool Use Is Just a Trick of the Mind -- Balter 2008 (128): 2 -- ScienceNOW

Scientists have discovered what gives us the ability to use tools. Apparently the brain treats the tool as a part of the body. Neat.

Judging by some people I know, that applies to cell phones as well, but in a more permanent sense.

That's pretty interesting, though.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:07 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52312 wrote:
Judging by some people I know, that applies to cell phones as well, but in a more permanent sense.

That's pretty interesting, though.

It does, absolutely.

That's part of the concept. When you first use something such as a writing instrument or a mobile phone, your brain creates new pathways and instructions to treat this tool as just another part of your body. Given enough time and enough strengthening of these new pathways, things become "second nature". Typing is an excellent example.

Also, scientists now have a very good idea where to look for the mutation that caused our ancestors to develop the capacity for tool use. It is a simple, yet extraordinary change.

Another interesting effect is demonstrated by a post I read over at Slashy.

This is the example I was taught in psych class. Use your finger to apply pressure to your table. You feel pressure in the tip of your finger. Now use a pencil to apply pressure to your table. You then feel pressure at the tip of the pencil, and not in your fingers where you hold the pencil.

Note that, if you make an effort, you can feel the pressure on your fingers from the pencil. But the natural experience is to feel pressure in the pencil, as if it were part of your body. What this in fact proves is that the brain can make you 'feel' sensations anywhere, and not just in your body.

I tried it. Gave me the heebie jeebies for about a half a second when I tried to focus on where it was coming from Very Happy
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:01 am
@Sabz5150,
I tried it with the pencil, I found nothing, save the pressure of my fingers on the pencil...
Reagaknight

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:01 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;52372 wrote:
I tried it with the pencil, I found nothing, save the pressure of my fingers on the pencil...

I suppose you aren't a human, then.
0 Replies