Is rodeo cruel to animals?

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:52 pm
Let's get some discussion going! What do you think? Is it cruel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,685 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Red cv

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:42 pm
@westernmom,
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo, for heavens sake these Townies (City People) think beef and pork grow on trees and the package they see at Sobeys is the first and last step in the processing of meat.

Getting a dog and tying it to a tree without exercise, water and shade is cruelty. A rodeo is geared to show case our history in farming communities, the odd cow gets hurt but so do those who ride bulls. Are we going to ban bulls now? Damn tree huggers need to have a bath and get a REAL hobby.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:17 pm
@Red cv,
Red;32319 wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo, for heavens sake these Townies (City People) think beef and pork grow on trees and the package they see at Sobeys is the first and last step in the processing of meat.

Getting a dog and tying it to a tree without exercise, water and shade is cruelty. A rodeo is geared to show case our history in farming communities, the odd cow gets hurt but so do those who ride bulls. Are we going to ban bulls now? Damn tree huggers need to have a bath and get a REAL hobby.

I was a 'townie' in Montana for a while. Loved it.

I'm concerned about the spur-strikes. They look painful and I've seen blood drawn. I makes me angry to see it.:no:
Drnaline

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:24 pm
@westernmom,
Some kind of cruelty goes on, if a human wants to live, there are some things that need to die to accomodate us, period. Even vegans are not exempt.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:44 pm
@westernmom,
if you don't propose testing things on animals, volunteer yourself to put XYZ shampoo in your eyes and see if it hurts/makes you go blind.

Animal testing is necessary, because no whiny bastard is going to step up and be the first one. It's a necessary part of product development for things that we humans use every day.
We are smarter than them, thus we use them.

All those peta retards should go become test dummies
westernmom

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 09:24 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;32341 wrote:
I was a 'townie' in Montana for a while. Loved it.

I'm concerned about the spur-strikes. They look painful and I've seen blood drawn. I makes me angry to see it.:no:

Raking with the spurs is covered extensively in the rules by the different rodeo associations. Animal hides are much thicker than ours. Human skin is 1mm-2mm thick, horse hide is 5mm thick, and bull hide is 7mm thick.

Spurs used by bareback and saddle bronc riders are dull and blunt with free-rolling rowels so that their showy style of leg movement is not harmful to the horse. The rowel, which is the star-shaped wheel on a spur, is loosely locked in bull riding to allow the cowboy a better hold on the loose-hided animals.

Use of any other type of spur is grounds for disqualification. But, there are some cowboys that will break these rules but then they have to deal with the contractor that owns the animals. These animals cost big bucks and they do everything they can to protect them. And, when a contractor gets down on a cowboy he can make it pretty miserable for him. Contractors in this business are "king."
westernmom

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:03 am
@briansol,
briansol;32364 wrote:
All those peta retards should go become test dummies

With their 600,000 members they could do some serious testing!

PetA - Don't even get me started. My daughter has held quite a few rodeo queen titles and these wacko's target these girls. They don't have the cohonie's to go after the cowboys so at almost every rodeo they will attack the queens.

When Brandi DeJong was crowned Miss Rodeo America one of these freaks hit her in the face with a chocolate pie. Oh, if that would have been my daughter that freak wouldn't be walking the earth today! These girls spend thousands on their leather dresses, not to mention the $500 hats!

Here's a photo of my daugher in Oklahoma City modeling at a mall. It's at places like this that they will have these activists try to get to the girls. That's why we have to have them so well chaperoned.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:59 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;32399 wrote:
Raking with the spurs is covered extensively in the rules by the different rodeo associations. Animal hides are much thicker than ours. Human skin is 1mm-2mm thick, horse hide is 5mm thick, and bull hide is 7mm thick.

Spurs used by bareback and saddle bronc riders are dull and blunt with free-rolling rowels so that their showy style of leg movement is not harmful to the horse. The rowel, which is the star-shaped wheel on a spur, is loosely locked in bull riding to allow the cowboy a better hold on the loose-hided animals.

Use of any other type of spur is grounds for disqualification. But, there are some cowboys that will break these rules but then they have to deal with the contractor that owns the animals. These animals cost big bucks and they do everything they can to protect them. And, when a contractor gets down on a cowboy he can make it pretty miserable for him. Contractors in this business are "king."

Mama, you sound as though you know what you're talking about. In a weird sorta way, you remind me of my first girlfriend, who lived in Montana. Strange.....but true.
0 Replies

tvsej

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:25 am
@westernmom,
I know a guy who was a rodeo star in Montana 1998 I think, he is in a wheel chair after being gored by the Bull he was riding. A sad story, real nice guy, now he is wasting away in a little Bar in Roy Montana. The Bull is fine. No I don't think it is cruel. We always had alot of fun at the Rodeo with the our oldest daughter. In winter we went to the Ski Joring competition, thats cruel to the humans, self inflicted:cavt-126-asard: .
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:45 am
@westernmom,
It's cruel to the audience

dumbest activity ever IMO, if Bin Laden started nuking rodeo's the average IQ in this country would go up 10% in a year tops
westernmom

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:29 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;32526 wrote:

dumbest activity ever IMO, if Bin Laden started nuking rodeo's the average IQ in this country would go up 10% in a year tops

That's the great thing about this country. You don't have to go!

Dumbest activity??? It's ranks right up there with NASCAR or Ultimate Fighting, right! Or how about chasing a little ball around a lawn? Or what about jumping out of an airplane with a piece of fabric attached? Or jumping in the ocean with a heavy tank on your back? Or watching big guys grunt and shove each other around for 100 yards? Or sitting with a little "joystick" in your hand staring at a screen for hours? Or throwing a string in a creek and hope you get something for supper? Or sitting around punching keys on a keyboard all day? To each his own.

At least in the sport of rodeo the person learns responsibility by taking care of the animals; learns great sportsmanship by helping and cheering for his competitors; is physically fit by not sitting around on his butt all day; is involved in an activity that can include the whole family; teaches others about our western heritage; etc...

As you can probably tell my family not only watches rodeo we participate! And as far as being dumb....... My daughter graduated from college Summa Cum Laude, was the student of the year, was a 4 year member of the dance team ranked 2nd in the nation, was an National All American Collegiate dancer, vice president of her service club, on the student athlete advisory committee, owned her own studio, volunteered for several community organizations such as Make A Wish and Idaho Drug Free Youth, and all the while she was rodeoing! My son and husband, who team ropes, owns and runs an extremely successful construction business. I guess by your standard we are "dumb."
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:49 pm
@westernmom,
Fukking animals. If an Animal is more important than a person. then I dont like you.
westernmom

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:55 pm
@westernmom,
Animals have a purpose on this earth. They are here for the use of mankind. We have a stewardship over them but they are for our use.

Abuse of animals shouldn't be tolerated but they definately do not have "rights". I believe in animal welfare not animal rights!
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 05:55 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;32591 wrote:
Animals have a purpose on this earth. They are here for the use of mankind. We have a stewardship over them but they are for our use.

Abuse of animals shouldn't be tolerated but they definately do not have "rights". I believe in animal welfare not animal rights!

Gotta disagree. You're thinking as a farmer/rancher, and you sound very responsible. If you were a 'townie', as Red refers to urbanites, and could see the commonplace sadism of pet-ownership in towns and cities, you'd change your mind. Nope....anybody who would torture and execute dogs for not winning in the fighting-pit, is one sick MF whom we can't trust in society, at large. If he can do something like that to animals, watch out. :no:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;32588 wrote:
Fukking animals. If an Animal is more important than a person. then I dont like you.

Rug, you do have an unhealthy attitude toward animals. I was raised to believe anyone who is cruel to animals is sick in the head, and can't be trusted around people, either. Seriously....it's basic morality. Anyone who can be cruel to another living creature has issues. Cruelty is totally unacceptable. AND....before you and Mom hand-deliver some big, fancy ideology about animals only existing to serve Man, just remember -- HITLER spun some of the most convincing hate-thought imaginable, such that his modern, previously Christian, European nation committed hideously sadistic genocide under its spell. Cruelty cannot be rationalized, period.
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:39 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;32526 wrote:

Wow, something we agree on....the Earth is going to stop turning.
And that's supposed to be "entertainment"....excuse me, but give me the Discovery Channel.
And it never ceases to amaze me how someone can talk about Hitler, and his abuses one minute, and the next about smashing the terrorists, and waging war against a populace that never did us anything, but hearsay. Hypocrites, or zanies...or both.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:37 am
@westernmom,
Waging war against the populace, where? We only go after terrorists. It is you who are the hypocrite.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:33 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;32610 wrote:
Gotta disagree. You're thinking as a farmer/rancher, and you sound very responsible. If you were a 'townie', as Red refers to urbanites, and could see the commonplace sadism of pet-ownership in towns and cities, you'd change your mind. Nope....anybody who would torture and execute dogs for not winning in the fighting-pit, is one sick MF whom we can't trust in society, at large. If he can do something like that to animals, watch out. :no:

We moved off the ranch in February and moved into "town". This is the first time in our lives that we haven't had pets or animals to care for. We don't agree with the fact that a person should own a dog just to have him penned up in the backyard on a leash all day. To me that's cruelty.

Like I said abuse of animals should never be tolerated. As ranchers we have always taken good care of our animals. A couple of years ago on Christmas morning it was close to 25 below and the power went out during a storm. We had the house full of our kids and grandkids. My husband and the guys headed right out to the make sure the livestock would have water, feed and shelter. To heck with doing anything in the house for us!
rugonnacry

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:33 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;32611 wrote:
Rug, you do have an unhealthy attitude toward animals. I was raised to believe anyone who is cruel to animals is sick in the head, and can't be trusted around people, either. Seriously....it's basic morality. Anyone who can be cruel to another living creature has issues. Cruelty is totally unacceptable. AND....before you and Mom hand-deliver some big, fancy ideology about animals only existing to serve Man, just remember -- HITLER spun some of the most convincing hate-thought imaginable, such that his modern, previously Christian, European nation committed hideously sadistic genocide under its spell. Cruelty cannot be rationalized, period.

Not everyone that doesnt give a sh!t about an animal has become hitler.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:26 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;32655 wrote:
Not everyone that doesnt give a sh!t about an animal has become hitler.

That's the mark of cruelty, and cruelty carries over to everything living. :no:
0 Replies