Dan Rather Vs. Cbs

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 01:15 am
@aaronssongs,
Aaron , we might even be able to get along IRL. I am open-minded enough to think we could even meet some day and have a drink,coffee,tea or whatever. I have friends who do not agree with me politically and we get along fine. Generally we don't discuss politics, though.
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 01:46 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38922 wrote:
Aaron , we might even be able to get along IRL. I am open-minded enough to think we could even meet some day and have a drink,coffee,tea or whatever. I have friends who do not agree with me politically and we get along fine. Generally we don't discuss politics, though.

I love coffee.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:49 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38911 wrote:
If he wins in court ( discounting a pay-off by CBS to appease him ) , I will admit I am wrong in my assessmant of the case.

It would be far out of character for me to claim to be perfect. My past is checkered enough and can be sought out if need be. I have repented of many of my own wrongdoings of the past.

Why not count the money? he says he will donate much toward the advancement of truth i the news.
I believe him. Did so for many years like so many others. I think he has his facts right. Bush, was a player being a a skull and bones man he was far to much a player. he never wanted to risk his Machiavellian life that is for the the little people to do. Didn't you know flying fighter jets is dangerous?!
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:07 pm
@aaronssongs,
I mean that if there is a settlement out of court, the issue is not resolved as to guilt or innocence on the part of either party, thus I would not change my thoughts on culpability.
mlurp

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:21 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Well stated and holding on to what you think is right and that all events were as they played out.
But what I heard Dan say on Larry King is that if we want free speech then get the corporate exes. and lawyers out of the news planning business.
Celerity

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:31 pm
@aaronssongs,
"False but Accurate" Dan doesn't just read from a teleprompt. He's an editor at the newsroom.

He knows quite well what he's reporting. Blaming Bush for all the problems in the world, and then NOT blaming Blather for his flat-out admitted lies is further PROOF of the insanity that is the Liberal mind.
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
@Celerity,
Celerity;43103 wrote:
"False but Accurate" Dan doesn't just read from a teleprompt. He's an editor at the newsroom.

He knows quite well what he's reporting. Blaming Bush for all the problems in the world, and then NOT blaming Blather for his flat-out admitted lies is further PROOF of the insanity that is the Liberal mind.

Your ravings are proof that conservatives are an abberation, and need to be exiled to an island, where they all can "back-slap" each other, and tell each other what upstanding and righteous human beings they are...."out of the earshot of regular, reasonable human beings".
Who are you, anyway?
mlurp

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:46 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;39036 wrote:
Well stated and holding on to what you think is right and that all events were as they played out.
But what I heard Dan say on Larry King is that if we want free speech then get the corporate exes. and lawyers out of the news planning business.

No matter the lawsuit. What dan says about the lawyers and big wigs deciding what is reported is true. Let the news people mainly those on the ground report the issues as they are right on the spot. I listen to CNN's Michael Weird (sorry if mis spelled) and he knows what is going on as he has been there about 5-6 years and talks to the people. Same as other news reporters.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:10 pm
@aaronssongs,
Dan is a dork, and he knows it. Bye, Danny Boy. Bush did you in, dude. Ha.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:29 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43107 wrote:
Your ravings are proof that conservatives are an abberation, and need to be exiled to an island, where they all can "back-slap" each other, and tell each other what upstanding and righteous human beings they are...."out of the earshot of regular, reasonable human beings".
Who are you, anyway?
The more important question is who are you?
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:37 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;43154 wrote:
The more important question is who are you?

Yeah, Aaron. Who the heck are you, anyway? Is that you, John Wayne? Is that me?:eek:
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:15 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;43160 wrote:
Yeah, Aaron. Who the heck are you, anyway? Is that you, John Wayne? Is that me?:eek:

I'm the one who precipitated you getting yourselves "banned'...looks like you didn't learn anything while you were on self induced vacation...no surprise.
Thin ice has a way of breaking.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 06:33 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43206 wrote:
I'm the one who precipitated you getting yourselves "banned'...looks like you didn't learn anything while you were on self induced vacation...no surprise.
Thin ice has a way of breaking.

Yeah....you've got some real clout around here. Way to go. BTW, do you have a job, yet?
Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:58 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38595 wrote:
Dan Rather Won't Take any "Bullshine"

Katrina vanden Heuvel Thu Sep 20, 11:38 PM ET

The Nation -- It was riveting television. There was former CBS news anchor Dan Rather, sitting across from CNN's Larry King, railing against the threat powerful media corporations pose to freedom and journalistic integrity. "You can't have freedom if you're going to have large corporations and government intruding on investigative reporting," Dan told a none-too-happy King. Dan's championing of independent media got me thinking about The Nation's first centerfold. Published twelve years ago on glossy paper, this wasn't your typical centerfold. It was a pull out four- page silky spread depicting the media multinational giants which determined so much of what we saw and heard. There were GE, Disney/Cap Cities, Westinghouse (later Viacom/ CBS) and Time-Warner as octopi.... At that time, the threat media consolidation, hyper-conglomeratization posed to our democracy was not an issue on the national radar for debate, let alone televised conversation. But in these last years, as the line between news and entertainment has been forever obliterated--a media and democracy movement has emerged to challenge corporate control of our publicly-owned airwaves. In 2003, three million citizens, in a transpartisan alliance, petitioned the FCC to halt the repeal of cross-ownership rules restricting how many tv or radio stations, newspapers one company could own in one town. Today, media consolidation is the subject of conferences, tv shows, Charlie Rose chatfests, books, legislation and FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has emerged as one of the country's most eloquent champions of more localism and diversity of media ownership and content. And it now appears that Dan Rather will join the hearty and growing band of media reformers as another strong voice on this issue. Certainly, Rather, judging from tonight's CNN interview, views his lawsuit against Viacom, CBS and three of its corporate employees as an attempt to expose--using subpoena power-- how big media conglomerates are more interested in pacifying the powers-that-be than supporting public interest investigative journalism. The trial, if it goes to trial, will put corporate executives like Sumner Redstone under oath--allowing questions about what role the Bush White House may have played in Rather's fate at CBS. Just last April, Rather---perhaps prefiguring the lawsuit he would file-- spoke of the political pressures people working in corporate newsrooms face. In Bill Moyers' superb PBS documentary reporting on how the media--with a few exceptions-- failed to do its job in the runup to war, Rather spoke of how: " Fear is in every newsroom in the country. And fear of what? Well, a combination of : If you don't go along to get along, you're going to get the reputation of being a troublemaker. There's also the fear, particularly in networks. They've become huge, international conglomerates. They have big needs. Legislative needs, in Washington. Nobody has ot send a memo to tell you that that's the case...and that puts a seed in your mind. Well, if you stick your neck out, if you take the risk of going against the grain with your reporting is anybody going to back you up? " Dan Rather was never a newsman who went along " to get along." But now, as songwriter Kris Kristofferson might have put it, Rather seems like a man who understands that freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. And he's decided he's going to use his freedom to fight for the future of free and independent media.
WBAI, New York - 99.5 FM Pacifica Radio - Home There are others but this one is very good.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:02 am
@Brian764,
Brian@764;43371 wrote:
WBAI, New York - 99.5 FM Pacifica Radio - Home There are others but this one is very good.

I agree with you...Dan Rather, maverick and honest journalist that he was, "played the game", as long as he could, and got away with as much as he could, by attempting to hold those in power accountable, until he was scapegoated , and had nothing else to protect or to lose. Better late, than never.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:05 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;43305 wrote:
Yeah....you've got some real clout around here. Way to go. BTW, do you have a job, yet?

I'm a free lance writer, contributing to several magazines, local and national, as well as a performance artist, and producer, working on my sophomore music cd, and a spoken word effort. My new company, will be doing web design, graphics, and photo restoration. Thanks for asking.
0 Replies