• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,029 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 12:15 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
I'm for alternatives to destroying a viable cell.
0 Replies

crackface mcgee

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:21 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
FOR stem cell research (adult stem cells, umbilical chord stem cells)
AGAINST embryonic stem cell research (because the embryo is destroyed)

There is a BIG difference, and liberal politicians seem to conveniently omit the word "embryonic" when they talk about a conservative politician's opposition. Medical progress is good, and I think everybody wants to use the stem cells where there is no moral dilemma. But there is clearly a boundary being crossed with embryonic stem cell research. This cannot be ignored. I certainly do not want my tax dollars supporting this.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:33 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
Quote:
I certainly do not want my tax dollars supporting this.
Me either.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
As a woman who has had my own babies and also miscarried a few times I totally agree with crackface (boy that name gets me!).

Research should be done with private funding. Why should I work so dang hard to fund projects that I don't believe in? If I think it's a project with social redeeming value I will contribute my $$$. If not, my $$$ will stay in my checking account!
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:20 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
I'm for it through private funding from those that will ultimately profit from it.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:22 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
Until Abortion is OUTLAWED then Stem Cell research FTW... Its legal to kill an embryo as long as you throw it away, dont you dare use it for anything good.
crackface mcgee

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:31 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;31419 wrote:
Until Abortion is OUTLAWED then Stem Cell research FTW... Its legal to kill an embryo as long as you throw it away, dont you dare use it for anything good.

There is a difference here, although I understand the point you are making. But the idea of these proponents is not to collect their subjects from abortion clinics. The idea is to create the embryo (human life in my opinion) for the sole purpose of stem cell research. Create --> destroy, create --> destoy. Treat them like a crop of sorts. Sorry, cannot get onboard with this.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:35 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
then would a happy medium be, women choosing abortion MUST donate the embryo to Stem Cell research? NO compensation of course
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:55 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
Too cutting edge.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
I am for stem cell research but like most I do not agree with the create destroy cycle. It is to bad that either side cannot just pose the facts, options along with upsides and drawbacks. They are focusing more on the "They wana kill the babies" and "They want everyone to die because we do not have this option"
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:09 am
@scooby-doo cv,
Dead set against embryonic stem cell research.
0 Replies