Inter-species Clones

Skye cv

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:47 am
Hmmmm this might explain some posters I've met along my journey through fora

British body backs inter-species clones - Yahoo! News

British body backs inter-species clones
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor Sat Jun 16, 8:10 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Making human-animal embryos for scientific experiments should be allowed because of the benefits to science and medicine, British experts said in a report released for Sunday.

Such embryos should never, however, be implanted into either a woman or an animal, said the Academy of Medical Sciences.

The combinations would include animal eggs and the nucleus, containing the genetic material, of a human being, or human embryos that carry the genetic material of an animal, the independent advisory body said.

A cloning technique called somatic cell nuclear transfer, or SCNT for short, involves removing the nucleus from an egg cell and replacing it with the nucleus of a cell from the animal to be cloned -- perhaps a skin cell, for instance.

Scientists have tried this using, for example, an egg cell from a cow and a human nucleus.

There are no laws against it in either Britain or the United states and the independent Academy said it should remain legal.

"Provided good laboratory practice is rigorously followed, research involving cytoplasmic hybrids or other inter-species embryos offers no significant safety risks over and above regular cell culture research," said Martin Bobrow of Britain's Wellcome Trust, who chaired the panel making the recommendations.

CONTENTIOUS SOURCE

"UK legislation permits research on human embryos under license from the HFEA (Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority) up to 14 days in the laboratory," Bobrow added in a statement.

"Re-implanting human embryos into a woman or animal is not permitted. There are no substantive ethical or moral reasons not to proceed with research on human embryos containing animal material under the same framework of regulatory control," he said.

Researchers want to make clones for a variety of reasons, but one of the most contentious is as a source of embryonic stem cells.

These powerful stem cells can give rise to any cell or tissue type in the human body and the hope is some day they may be used to tailor medical treatments for injuries or diseases such as Parkinson's or diabetes.

In some countries, such as Britain, their use is not controversial and is actively funded and encouraged. In the United States, their use is legal but federal funding of the work is strictly limited by Congress and by President George W. Bush, who has vetoed legislation that would broaden it.

Researchers also routinely make chimeras -- animals that contain the genetic material from more than one individual. These include animals that carry human genes, most commonly mice engineered with human genes that are used to study disease.

"We found no current scientific reasons to generate 'true' hybrid embryos by mixing human and animal gametes (eggs and sperm). However, given the speed of this field of research, the working group could not rule out the emergence of scientifically valid reasons in the future," Bobrow said.

Hmmm my question is the age-old: "Why?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 11:54 am
@Skye cv,
Skye;21645 wrote:

Hmmm my question is the age-old: "Why?"

The age old answer: because they can. They (the scientists) have been taught to do certain things. They need to do those things to make a living. If ligitimate fields of science are filled with people who got there before them, and they have a need to be at the forefront of their work, they need to find (or create) a new product line. This ensures they have a more secure place in the profession. There is always someone willing to invest in scientific research to develop things for which there is no need. This is how companies change paradigmes of an industry.

Then, there is always the age old adage: stuf will multiply to fill the available space. If someone has invested in a technology, they need a return on investment. They will dream up a need and sell that need to everyone else for the profit.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 04:17 pm
@Skye cv,
I'm not sure why anybody would want a Hippo-man

now if you could take photosynthesis and insert it into human DNA

or give human life the resiliency to stay alive that some microbes have that would be okay

but other then that I'll take my humanity in it's non tentacle laden simplicity, even if a bit boring
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 04:20 pm
@Skye cv,
This is way out there

but this reminds me of the Order of the Ebon Hand

they were able to create great intelligent beasts that they enslaved, placing them in the lap of luxury. Their every need was catered to, the Thralls even fought their wars.

Then the Thralls got bored of being oppressed and slaughtered their weaker masters en masse
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:37 pm
@Skye cv,
I am all for genetic engineering and cloning. RNA interference is a HUGE breakthrough with the ability to turn of certain genes like a switch.. This could cure many diseases and stop the suffering of millions. People need to start investing in biotech and nanotech industries if they were smart.
0 Replies