Polygamy Raises an Even Uglier Head

Skye cv

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:48 am
Fumarase Deficiency Disorder

By Jason Szep
COLORADO CITY, Arizona (Reuters)

In a dusty neighborhood under sheer sandstone cliffs studded with juniper on the Arizona-Utah border, a rare genetic disorder is spreading through polygamous families on a wave of inbreeding.
The twin border communities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona, have the world's highest known prevalence of fumarase deficiency, an enzyme irregularity that causes severe mental retardation brought on by cousin marriage, doctors say.
"Arizona has about half the world's population of known fumarase deficiency patients," said Dr. Theodore Tarby, a pediatric neurologist who has treated many of the children at Arizona clinics under contracts with the state.
"It exists in a certain percentage of the broader population but once you get a tendency to inbreed you're inbreeding people who have the gene there, so you markedly increase the risk of developing the condition," he said.
The community of about 10,000 people, who shun outsiders and are taught to avoid newspapers, television and the Internet, is home to the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS), a sect that broke from the mainstream Mormon church 72 years ago over polygamy.
The group, who wear conservative 19th-century clothing, is led by Warren Jeffs, who was arrested in August and charged as an accomplice to rape for using his authority to order a 14-year-old girl against her wishes to marry and have sex with her 19-year-old cousin.
Doctors in the area declined requests for interviews and families refuse to talk to reporters. But former FLDS members, independent doctors and authorities say the disorder appears to have struck at least 20 children in the past 15 years.
"The disease itself is very rare in the rest of the world," said Dr. Vinodh Narayanan of Arizona's St. Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center and Barrow Neurological Institute. Doctors worldwide had only studied about 10 cases just a decade ago.
"Once you get people within in the same community marrying, then the chances grow of having two people carrying the exact same mutation."

'CLOSED DOOR'
Local historian Benjamin Bistline said 75 to 80 percent of people in the area are blood relatives of two men -- John Y. Barlow and Joseph Smith Jessop -- who founded the sect on the remote desert plateau in the early 1930s.
"There aren't any new people coming in. It's a closed door and that gene just keeps getting passed around," said Bruce Wisan, a court-appointed accountant overseeing a trust of the sect's assets.

Dr. Leslie Biesecker, chief of the Genetic Disease Research Branch at the National Institutes of Health, said the bad gene could have been introduced after the original founding families settled there. "Any person who joined that community could have brought that mutation with them," he said.
Tarby, who has recently retired, said he first observed the problem when an FLDS couple came to a Phoenix clinic about 15 years ago with a 10-year-old boy suffering from a degenerative condition. He sent a urine sample to a lab in Colorado for analysis and was stunned by the diagnosis.
Since then, increasing numbers of children in the community have been stricken with the disease, which causes unusual facial features, frequent epileptic seizures, episodes of coma and possibly early death.
In the disorder, brain cells fail to receive enough fuel to grow, multiply and function properly because of a missing enzyme needed to generate energy from food, causing severe mental retardation and muscle control problems.
Tarby met with about 150 FLDS members in November, explaining that the disorder was not caused by tainted drinking water as rumored but by cousin marriage.
But even with that knowledge, it is still hard for people to leave the sect, said Brenda Jensen, 55, who fled the FLDS several years ago and now works for the Utah-based HOPE Organization, which helps women leave.
"If they are willing to marry their cousin, or unwilling but do it anyway, or even in a relationship that is closer than that, it can be very hard for them," Jensen said.
And local habits, are deeply ingrained, authorities say.
"They will tell you if that's what God wants for you than that's what you will get," said Gary Engels, an investigator assigned to Colorado City by the Mohave County attorney's office. "They don't think too much about marrying cousins and things like that."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,101 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:48 am
@Skye cv,
It's perverted. The Mormon Church, because it tolerates this madness, cannot be trusted by Christian patriots.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:24 am
@Skye cv,
"Keeping it in the family" takes on a whole new meaning.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 01:07 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;21328 wrote:
"Keeping it in the family" takes on a whole new meaning.

the royal families in europe have been doing it for centuries.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 01:29 pm
@Skye cv,
Hemophilia was called "The Royal Disease"....
passed on for generations.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:28 pm
@Skye cv,
Talk about a religious group reading the bible to litteral eh?

Mulitpiple wives, Uner age.... whew to think that some how god fearing people read the bible "out of context" too
Red cv

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:54 pm
@Skye cv,
We had a family called the Grolliers in my Province that gave new meaning to the word incest. The father and brothers, uncles etc raped almost all the females in their family. It didn't matter how young either, an entire family of pedophiles. The females gave birth to children that were their brothers, cousins etc. Few of the children went to school but one who did reported the abuse. A very public trial ensued and holy hanna, this family had been doing this for generation. Several went to jail for rape, but the sad thing is the children didn't have a problem with the rape and incest because they were raised to accept it as the norm. Poor kids ended up in foster care never understanding why the family dynamics had been distroyed.

Locally, after the trial a adage arose about the North Mountain (area it occured): If you ain't good enough for your kin you ain't good enough for mine. Ouch.
Reagaknight

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:37 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;21592 wrote:
Talk about a religious group reading the bible to litteral eh?

Mulitpiple wives, Uner age.... whew to think that some how god fearing people read the bible "out of context" too

Trying to provoke people again? Royal intermarriage had nothing to do with the Bible.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:49 pm
@Skye cv,
I grew up in Colorado and Montana (yes.......Montana, dammit. People do live there and it's a cool place.). Utah was nearby, so Mormons surrounded us. While many of them are great citizens (strong patriots and morally good folks), their theology and its many practices are a bit crazy. But, I knew so many I liked, I'm confused on the issue. I don't like the religion, however, in all truthfulness.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:16 pm
@Red cv,
Red;23583 wrote:
We had a family called the Grolliers in my Province that gave new meaning to the word incest. The father and brothers, uncles etc raped almost all the females in their family. It didn't matter how young either, an entire family of pedophiles. The females gave birth to children that were their brothers, cousins etc. Few of the children went to school but one who did reported the abuse. A very public trial ensued and holy hanna, this family had been doing this for generation. Several went to jail for rape, but the sad thing is the children didn't have a problem with the rape and incest because they were raised to accept it as the norm. Poor kids ended up in foster care never understanding why the family dynamics had been distroyed.

Locally, after the trial a adage arose about the North Mountain (area it occured): If you ain't good enough for your kin you ain't good enough for mine. Ouch.

Seriously, I think I saw an X-Files episode based on them.
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
@Skye cv,
What's wrong with polygamy? If they all consent to it, they should be free to practice it, no? Isn't that what you'd expect in the "land of the free"?
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
@Skye cv,
Polygamy is just another way for small dicked males to control females whilst using Religion as the reason. If males were equal victims I wouldn't have a issue with it, but it's never the males always the females and little girls who suffer. It's not a practice for a civilized society, our culture is based on "Values" and "Morals" leave the caveman practice of several wives in the cave merci sa va.

LOL it was made into a movie Socal.
Arterion

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:19 pm
@Red cv,
Red;27016 wrote:
Polygamy is just another way for small dicked males to control females...

Some people are into being controlled. Again, if everyone party to it is consenting, I don't see why anyone else should have a problem with it.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:26 pm
@Skye cv,
General observation - Arterion sounds like our old friend, One Man Clan, the pissed libertarian.....
Anyone else picking that up..?
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:09 pm
@Skye cv,
No, most of them genuinely get bored and leave. I've been around here long enough to see lots of that.
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:09 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27029 wrote:
General observation - Arterion sounds like our old friend, One Man Clan, the pissed libertarian.....
Anyone else picking that up..?

I just signed up, and I've never been here before under any alias. Is it that hard to believe that there might be at least TWO people in the country who think consenting adults ought to be able to do whatever the feel like? Very Happy
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:17 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27054 wrote:
I just signed up, and I've never been here before under any alias. Is it that hard to believe that there might be at least TWO people in the country who think consenting adults ought to be able to do whatever the feel like? Very Happy

Agreed, but with conditions. History has shown that personal freedom without discipline results in anarchy.
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
@Skye cv,
In what sense of the word anarchy?
Red cv

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
@Arterion,
Arterion;27098 wrote:
In what sense of the word anarchy?

Well in a Christian based society polygamy is a form of anarchy is it not. We believe in monogomous relationships not plural. Polygamist also enforce their backward idiology on their children. An adult decides what religion it wants to follow it's enforced on a child against his/her will. Frankly I can image the world wide out cry if women even attempted to have plural marrages, it's all about the men in most cases pedophiles using religion to sexually abuse little girls visa vie multiple marrages. Tis not a path I want to see our civilized societies embark upon.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:43 am
@Skye cv,
Not all the women and children are consenting participants, and when they rebel, the males in charge persecute them, sometimes to death. It is very hard for a Mormon woman to get herself out of that society when she realizes that she is being demeaned and dishonored by the practice of polygamy.
0 Replies