Does The Punishment Fit The Crime?

Skye cv

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:13 pm
The guy has demonstrated complete irresponsibility with his loaded and possibly fatal 'gun' .... I have to agree he should be taken out of mainstream life.

HIV-Positive Man Gets Life Term For Sex
The Indy Channel
June 13, 2007

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- A Kansas City, Mo., man who spent five years in jail for exposing sexual partners to HIV was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison for knowingly exposing another woman to the virus.

Sean L. Sykes, 33, was found guilty of having unprotected sex with a St. Joseph woman without telling her he was HIV-positive. Testimony at his trial -- which was closed to the public to protect witnesses -- indicated that he had exposed at least eight women to HIV. At least three have tested positive.

"I think it's fairly clear he is a very dangerous individual," Buchanan County Prosecutor Dwight Scroggins said after the sentencing. "If he is not in prison, he would likely continue to spread HIV."

Sykes was convicted in 1997 under a 1988 Missouri law that made it a felony to knowingly expose someone to HIV. He was given the maximum sentence of 10 years, but was paroled in 2003.

Scroggins said Sykes has had "numerous" other unknown sexual contacts since he first tested positive 16 years ago.

"It's not an immediate death sentence," said assistant prosecutor Kathleen Fisher, "but that's what he's done to these people, his victims."

A 29-year-old woman who contracted HIV in the mid-1990s after having sex with Sykes testified at the sentencing hearing that her life had been destroyed by the virus.

The mother of two children -- neither of whom has tested positive for the disease -- said doctors have given her about two years to live.

"My family has left me -- they're scared of me," she said. "When I found out that Sean was on trial again for this, it drove me crazy. The main question is why? Why is he doing this?"

Prosecutors said Sykes began having a sexual relationship with a St. Joseph woman in 2004, never telling her that he had HIV.

Sykes contended at his trial that the woman knew he was HIV-positive. He apologized Tuesday for his behavior.

"I will admit my behavior in the early '90s, and up until my first conviction, was not appropriate," he said. "Even though (the St. Joseph woman) was aware of my status, I should have seen nothing good would come as far as a sexual relationship."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,073 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:12 pm
@Skye cv,
I just don't understand how someone could willingly give another person a fatal desease. He's a narcassist who cares nothing for other human beings, I hope his death is painful and it's lenghty. There is no excuse for passing on aides when you know you have it. NONE.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
@Skye cv,
Damn, what keeps people from showing the slightest bit of personal responsability?
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:34 am
@Skye cv,
Many people afflicted with HIV/Aids suffer from "s/he gave it to me - I'll pass it along" syndrome. Ugly and unfair - but so is the disease. Usually a life sentence. The medics only treat the physical illness - rarely the mental.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:53 am
@Skye cv,
It's very, very common. I have worked in various capacities with this kind of problem. I think some HIV/AIDS victims actually feel better about themselves by seeing others contract the disease as well. It makes them feel less isolated and doomed. Just my two AIRBORNE cents. Hoooaaahhh, as always.
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:04 pm
@Skye cv,
I think a public hanging would fit the crime, not a free living.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
@Skye cv,
Jail in isolation with no possibility of parole is the only justifiable sentence. Isolation - to keep him away from other prisoners, lest they be infected also.
One Man Clan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;21184 wrote:
Jail in isolation with no possibility of parole is the only justifiable sentence. Isolation - to keep him away from other prisoners, lest they be infected also.

No, that doesn't fit the crime.
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:47 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;21207 wrote:

I'll bite - what does fit the crime? Or, do you feel any crime was committed in the first place?

Sorry, I re-read your post previous. Public hanging would work also, I agree.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:00 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;21207 wrote:

Listen Butter Cup this man sentenced women to their death when all he had to do was wear a condom or speak the truth. You are correct the sentence didn't fit the crime he should have his hoo hoo removed to prevent him taking any more innocent lives. Do these innocent women mean nothing to you? It's okay to sentence a sexual partner to death because he didn't care. He's no better than a seriel killer.
One Man Clan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
@Red cv,
Red;21249 wrote:
Listen Butter Cup this man sentenced women to their death when all he had to do was wear a condom or speak the truth. You are correct the sentence didn't fit the crime he should have his hoo hoo removed to prevent him taking any more innocent lives. Do these innocent women mean nothing to you? It's okay to sentence a sexual partner to death because he didn't care. He's no better than a seriel killer.

Listen Detective Dipshit, I gave a harsher sentence than you, so maybe you can read the rest of the post and STFU?
socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:54 am
@Skye cv,
Temper, temper there, young man...
One Man Clan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:21 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;21320 wrote:
Temper, temper there, young man...

Maybe.

So?
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:08 pm
@Skye cv,
Worked Adult Probation for a while. Had a defendant with full-blown AIDS. My office was a converted closet, which meant I sat 15 inches from my defendants. When the guy came in, which was once a week, I got nervous. Yeah....I know how it's transmitted. Still, it spooked me.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:25 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;21251 wrote:
Listen Detective Dipshit, I gave a harsher sentence than you, so maybe you can read the rest of the post and STFU?

Be a little more respectful. Or you will force me to shut you up. Don't think so, try me. You have be warned.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:27 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;21399 wrote:
Maybe.

So?

You find out what "so" is if you keep it up.
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:43 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;21997 wrote:
Be a little more respectful. Or you will force me to shut you up. Don't think so, try me. You have be warned.

Maybe they shouldn't post based on misconceptions all the while insulting me, eh?
Drnaline

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;22028 wrote:
Maybe they shouldn't post based on misconceptions all the while insulting me, eh?

Insults are relative. Personal attacks are not. How is she to know what may be insulting to you? We allow quite a bit here but not that. Sorry it's not up to you to decide. That's where i come in, and it tends to be permanent.
No personal attacks.
One Man Clan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:42 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;22033 wrote:
Insults are relative. Personal attacks are not. How is she to know what may be insulting to you? We allow quite a bit here but not that. Sorry it's not up to you to decide. That's where i come in, and it tends to be permanent.
No personal attacks.

Oh?

Listen (condescending bullshit) Butter Cup (insult) this man sentenced women to their death when all he had to do was wear a condom or speak the truth. (something I already knew) You are correct (of course) the sentence didn't fit the crime he should have his hoo hoo removed to prevent him taking any more innocent lives. (way too light of a punishment) Do these innocent women mean nothing to you? (accusation of apathy) It's okay to sentence a sexual partner to death because he didn't care. He's no better than a seriel killer. (blahblah)

Personally, I found that post insulting.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 02:10 pm
@Skye cv,
Personally, I will exercise my libertarian rights and ignore your posts from this point on. That's all. No more banter, no more retorts. Finito.