Baptism: What's your take on it

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 02:55 pm
I was talking about this earlier and want to know what you think. I know some people who are quite concerned that I've no interest in getting Baptised. They see it as a requirement if you're truly one of "God's People"

But I see it differently. It's just water, jumping in it won't actually make me a better person, spiritually or otherwise. And if God can see into my heart, then it's certainly not a demonstration of faith, because he wouldn't need to see me do that to know where my loayalties are...

It is however a demonstration of faith to other people, namely those who want to see me do it in the first place. But again I have no interest, my path with god is personal, and doesn't required validity via some ancient aquatic ceremony...

what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,092 • Replies: 69
No top replies

mommamia

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 06:51 pm
@Silverchild79,
Quote:
It is however a demonstration of faith to other people, namely those who want to see me do it in the first place. But again I have no interest, my path with god is personal, and doesn't required validity via some ancient aquatic ceremony...

IMHO you should show your faith by how you live every day. You don't need to preach or pray at people, or jump in water. Live by the faith that works for you, and show that in every action, and who cares about those who would their own silly symbolism on you.
Adam Bing

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:22 pm
@mommamia,
mommamia;43312 wrote:
IMHO you should show your faith by how you live every day. You don't need to preach or pray at people, or jump in water. Live by the faith that works for you, and show that in every action, and who cares about those who would their own silly symbolism on you.

Bravo.

The Salvation clubs however require yoru adherence to these symbolisms as much if not more than your simply leading a good life.

Being a good person - loving others, looking after this planet, eschewing violence, lies, hurtful behavioir, helping the needy - is good enough if you are an atheist.

However if you are to be a good Christian or Muslim it is NOT good enough if in addtion you do not acknowledge Jesus as your lord and saviour or Allah as your only God with Mohammed as his Messenger. Just being good is no use in itself.

Please think about this.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:10 am
@Silverchild79,
penguin plunge - baptism for crazy adults Very Happy

i dunno... i'm pretty much "out" of the whole church thing. i'm baptized and even confirmed... and i really don't care.

when i get married, i want a JP, not a priest.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:44 pm
@briansol,
i'm an atheist so it doesn't make a difference to me either way, but my sister is getting baptised this weekend, which i normaly wouldn't care except that i know people are gonna ask me why i didn't get baptised!
Adam Bing

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:13 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44456 wrote:
i'm an atheist so it doesn't make a difference to me either way, but my sister is getting baptised this weekend, which i normaly wouldn't care except that i know people are gonna ask me why i didn't get baptised!

Baptism is the first step towards formal entry into the Salvation Club. There is nothing good to be said for it. It is exclusionary and only establishes a false superiorty in the mind of the baptized who then many a times, proceed to harvest souls of those who are yet to be inducted.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
@briansol,
briansol;43336 wrote:
penguin plunge - baptism for crazy adults Very Happy

i dunno... i'm pretty much "out" of the whole church thing. i'm baptized and even confirmed... and i really don't care.

when i get married, i want a JP, not a priest.

I see. Thanks. I always wondered about you.:scratchchin:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:16 pm
@Silverchild79,
WELL......***as I prepare to hold forth, massively***......as a Catholic, I believe in Baptism, and the infusion of the Holy Spirit upon that sacred occasion.
klyph

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;44494 wrote:
WELL......***as I prepare to hold forth, massively***......as a Catholic, I believe in Baptism, and the infusion of the Holy Spirit upon that sacred occasion.

I'd love to see you explain (Scripturally of course) how the sacrament of baptism invokes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
Adam Bing

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:59 am
@klyph,
klyph;44598 wrote:
I'd love to see you explain (Scripturally of course) how the sacrament of baptism invokes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The Sikhs have a baptism ceremony too that is supposed to infuse them with their verison of the holy spirit. So, why this one and not that one? Because one is born a Sikh or a Roman Catholic?
klyph

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44894 wrote:
The Sikhs have a baptism ceremony too that is supposed to infuse them with their verison of the holy spirit. So, why this one and not that one? Because one is born a Sikh or a Roman Catholic?

He's Catholic, so I would like to see him use the bible (his religion's key text) to show me where it says that that the sacrament of baptism invokes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
Adam Bing

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 06:16 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44950 wrote:
He's Catholic, so I would like to see him use the bible (his religion's key text) to show me where it says that that the sacrament of baptism invokes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Being an ardent catholic, I am sure he'll find it and show you.

Or are you trying to say that no where in the bible is there such a requirement? Are you trying to bring down the whole evangelist industry?
klyph

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 06:25 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44968 wrote:
Being an ardent catholic, I am sure he'll find it and show you.

Or are you trying to say that no where in the bible is there such a requirement? Are you trying to bring down the whole evangelist industry?

Catholicism requires it, the bible does not. Biblically it is a form of public testament and a symbolic acknowledgement to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not a biblical requirement to achieve salvation.

Quote:
8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:10 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44598 wrote:

Well, you're just going to have to keep loving what you'll never see. Get behind me, Satan.Very Happy:FU1::FU1:Very Happy
klyph

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:03 pm
@Pinochet73,
klyph;44598 wrote:

Pinochet73;44988 wrote:
Well, you're just going to have to keep loving what you'll never see. Get behind me, Satan.Very Happy:FU1::FU1:Very Happy

So I guess that's a "No, I believe it because they told me to"?
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:22 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43285 wrote:
I was talking about this earlier and want to know what you think. I know some people who are quite concerned that I've no interest in getting Baptised. They see it as a requirement if you're truly one of "God's People"

But I see it differently. It's just water, jumping in it won't actually make me a better person, spiritually or otherwise. And if God can see into my heart, then it's certainly not a demonstration of faith, because he wouldn't need to see me do that to know where my loayalties are...

what do you think?

Jesus got baptized and John the Baptist had a ministry of baptism. The scriptures do not say if the disciples ever got baptized, but we know that they baptized others. Baptism is symbolic of the old person being buried and the new person being born. One does not have to be baptized per say in order to receive the Holy Spirit, as the case was for some in the early Church, but once the evidence that the Holy Spirit was given to them, they were baptized. A person who has truly received the Holy Spirit from God before baptism, which is given by the laying on of hands will not refuse to be baptized.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:39 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44969 wrote:
Catholicism requires it, the bible does not. Biblically it is a form of public testament and a symbolic acknowledgement to Jesus' death and resurrection. It is not a biblical requirement to achieve salvation.

BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Ephesians 2:8-9;

The Christ himself said, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." (John 3:5).

Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." The word "and" makes both belief and baptism a requirement, it can not be Holy Spirit baptism because there are only two examples of such in the New Testament and at least 9 examples of other people gaining salvation....were there only two that were actually saved out of these 8 or 9 examples?

When the people asked Peter what they must do to be saved in
Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,and you shall receive the "gift" of the Holy Ghost, so one must be baptized to get the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:41, "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized; and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

If you want to know if it is a requirement, look for the biblical examples of people being saved and allowed into the kingdom of Christ/church. There are examples of people being saved in the scripts of the New Testament, They all were baptized as a requirement to enter the church, it is the same requirement today. Even at the House of Cornelius, the act of baptism had to be carried out for him to gain entrance into the kingdom, as it was the words of Peter that saved him, not the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.(Acts11:13-14), "And he showed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all they house shall be saved." And what were the words of Peter that lead to Corenlius' salvation? (Acts 10:44), "While Peter yet spake these words....." Peter had just began speaking when the Holy Spirit fell upon all those that head these words, yet Peter still said in (vs 47), "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost, as well as we?" For one to conclude that the Holy Spirit Baptism is the one in Mark 16:16, one would also have to conclude that sense Corenlius already had the Baptism of the Holy Spirit before he was baptized that one would have to be baptized by the Holy Spirit before he was baptized.....so in other words, one has to have the baptism of the Holy Spirit in order to get the Baptism of the Holy Spirit? As Acts 2:38 said...one must be baptized to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, thus the gift of the Holy Spirit can not be the baptism of the Holy Spirit, can it? Cornelius had the baptism of the Holy Ghost before he had the water baptism. If it is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost then someone is lying in one scripture or the other, or one could conclude and make all the scripture harmonize with the conclusion that it is "water baptism' that is required for salvation....I choose to stay Logical on this one, and not let the scriptures contradict one another. RD

There is not one Biblical example of someone being saved under the New Testament of grace without submitting to the physical act of water baptism. If there is, please someone point it out. The thief on the cross was saved by Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, who had the power on earth to forgive sin and the age of Christianity had not yet come, as the Christ had not yet died. Unless one expects the Christ to personally come down from heaven and directly forgive his sins we must follow the examples of the ones that were lead into all truth by the Spirit of truth in the great commission of the Christ in John 14:16-17...the apostles. And the apostles told the common man what he needs to do to be saved in Acts 2:38. RD
klyph

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:00 am
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;46556 wrote:
The Christ himself said, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." (John 3:5).

"Born of water" is a translation often interpreted to mean physical birth. Physical birth, then spiritual birth, then salvation.
Quote:

Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." The word "and" makes both belief and baptism a requirement, it can not be Holy Spirit baptism because there are only two examples of such in the New Testament and at least 9 examples of other people gaining salvation....were there only two that were actually saved out of these 8 or 9 examples?

Then why doesn't it say that he who is baptized not shall be damned? According to this, all you have to do to is believe to escape damnation. If you read the whole chapter, it is about evangelizing the gospel. Preaching and confessing your faith, which is the sole purpose of baptism. It's easy to pick out a verse and misinterpret it, but if you look at the larger context, it becomes obvious.
Quote:

When the people asked Peter what they must do to be saved in
Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,and you shall receive the "gift" of the Holy Ghost, so one must be baptized to get the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:41, "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized; and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

Yet another example of an Evangelical application of baptism. It is not for salvation, but for public testimony.
Quote:

If you want to know if it is a requirement, look for the biblical examples of people being saved and allowed into the kingdom of Christ/church. There are examples of people being saved in the scripts of the New Testament, They all were baptized as a requirement to enter the church, it is the same requirement today. Even at the House of Cornelius, the act of baptism had to be carried out for him to gain entrance into the kingdom, as it was the words of Peter that saved him, not the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.(Acts11:13-14), "And he showed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all they house shall be saved." And what were the words of Peter that lead to Corenlius' salvation? (Acts 10:44), "While Peter yet spake these words....." Peter had just began speaking when the Holy Spirit fell upon all those that head these words, yet Peter still said in (vs 47), "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost, as well as we?" For one to conclude that the Holy Spirit Baptism is the one in Mark 16:16, one would also have to conclude that sense Corenlius already had the Baptism of the Holy Spirit before he was baptized that one would have to be baptized by the Holy Spirit before he was baptized.....so in other words, one has to have the baptism of the Holy Spirit in order to get the Baptism of the Holy Spirit? As Acts 2:38 said...one must be baptized to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, thus the gift of the Holy Spirit can not be the baptism of the Holy Spirit, can it? Cornelius had the baptism of the Holy Ghost before he had the water baptism. If it is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost then someone is lying in one scripture or the other, or one could conclude and make all the scripture harmonize with the conclusion that it is "water baptism' that is required for salvation....I choose to stay Logical on this one, and not let the scriptures contradict one another. RD

Wow, honestly, I can't follow what you're saying here. Sounds very much like circular reasoning to me. Please elaborate.
Quote:

There is not one Biblical example of someone being saved under the New Testament of grace without submitting to the physical act of water baptism. If there is, please someone point it out. The thief on the cross was saved by Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, who had the power on earth to forgive sin and the age of Christianity had not yet come, as the Christ had not yet died. Unless one expects the Christ to personally come down from heaven and directly forgive his sins we must follow the examples of the ones that were lead into all truth by the Spirit of truth in the great commission of the Christ in John 14:16-17...the apostles. And the apostles told the common man what he needs to do to be saved in Acts 2:38. RD

The argument is not about what is "required for salvation". Although baptism is a command, it is not a requirement (Much like "thou shalt not steal" but it's not a requirement that you are never to steal in order to get into heaven)

The challenge was to provide scripture that proves definitively that water baptism is the moment at which the Holy Spirit indwells a human soul.

klyph;44598 wrote:
klyph

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
Wow, I'll never make those kind of decisions for my children. What a sad invasion of personal freedom. Talk about being brainwashed from an early age, wouldn't you want your children to discover the truth on their own?
RED DEVIL cv

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:05 am
@klyph,
klyph;47105 wrote:
"Born of water" is a translation often interpreted to mean physical birth. Physical birth, then spiritual birth, then salvation.

Then why doesn't it say that he who is baptized not shall be damned? According to this, all you have to do to is believe to escape damnation. If you read the whole chapter, it is about evangelizing the gospel. Preaching and confessing your faith, which is the sole purpose of baptism. It's easy to pick out a verse and misinterpret it, but if you look at the larger context, it becomes obvious.

Yet another example of an Evangelical application of baptism. It is not for salvation, but for public testimony.

Wow, honestly, I can't follow what you're saying here. Sounds very much like circular reasoning to me. Please elaborate.

The argument is not about what is "required for salvation". Although baptism is a command, it is not a requirement (Much like "thou shalt not steal" but it's not a requirement that you are never to steal in order to get into heaven)

The challenge was to provide scripture that proves definitively that water baptism is the moment at which the Holy Spirit indwells a human soul.

Your points, although interesting, are not how you would say "interpreted" by all as you would "assume". If you want to find out the need for baptism and and what it represents, you should take your position from one who was indeed "inspired" to explain the purpose of baptism. That person who takes the same position as myself by not "interpreting" the word but comprehending the word, would be none other than the Apostle Paul. Before we get into the Apostles' explanation, if the baptism of the Holy Spirit is intended for everyone, what is the "ONE" baptism mentioned by Paul in (Eph. 4:5)?

There is indeed more than "one" baptism mentioned in the New Testament. There is the baptism (immersion) of the Holy Spirit, fire, of suffering, the baptism of John, and water baptism (Acts1:5, Matt.3:11, 20:22, 21:25, Acts 10:47,48). However, by the year AD 62(the year of inscription for the book of Eph.) there was only one baptism (Eph.4:5). Subsequent to Paul's inspired statement regarding "one baptism" the apostle Peter wrote, "And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you...." (1Peter3:21, NASV). The baptism which Peter alludes is clearly water baptism (vs.20).

It is evident from the Great Commission that water baptism was to be an indispensable part of the preaching of the saving gospel (Matt. 28:18,19, Mark 16:15,16). The Book of Acts, the record of the fulfillment of the Great Commission contains the consistent examples of people being baptized in water as part of the coming to God (Acts 2:38,41, 8:12,13, 36-40, 9:18, 16:33, 18:8, etc.). It is also apparent that the baptism of the Great Commission (applicable to all men) was water baptism (Acts 8:38, 10:47). In spite of the simple presentation of water baptism found in the scriptures, there remains much confusion about baptism. The confusion can be removed by approaching baptism from the standpoint of how, who, why, and when should a person be baptized.

THE SCRIPTURES DESCRIBE HOW PEOPLE WERE BAPTIZED IN THE 1ST CENTURY......Anyone with intelligence can conclude that the water baptism of the New Testament was immersion (Acts 8:36-40, John3:23, Matt3:16). Baptism is a burial (Rom.6:4, Col.2:12). Sprinkling and/or pouring do not fulfill the requirements of baptism being a burial. In fact, the common Greek noun (baptisma) transliterated baptism means immersion, "baptism, consisting of the process of immersion, submersion, and emergence..." (W.E. Vine, Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words). The first recorded case of pouring was not until 251AD. The case of 251AD was considered the exception, even by its promoters. It was not until 1311AD that sprinkling and/or pouring were accepted by man (13 centuries too late for apostolie approved.

THE SCRIPTURES TELL WHO IS TO BE BAPTIZED.....The ones that are taught the gospel are the ones to be water baptized (John 6:44,45). Disciples are made by teaching and baptism (Matt.28:19,ASV). Baptism is for those who believe, are penitent, and confess that Jesus is the Son of God (Mark 16:15,16, Acts 2:38, 8:36,37, KJV, Romans 10:9,10). It is of no surprise then to read, "But when they believed Philip preaching...they were baptized, both men and women" (Acts8:12, also see 5:14). The practice of "baptizing" infants came after the writing of the New Testament and is without divine inspiration, authority, or approval of the scriptures (2John chapters 9-11).

THE SCRIPTURES TELL WHY ONE SHOULD BE BAPTIZED......Water baptism has multiple accomplishments. One should be baptized in order to obtain the "REMISSION" of sin (Acts 2:38, 22:16). All spiritual blessings and redemption are in Christ( Eph. 1:3,7). However, baptism is the act that gains entrance into Christ or places one in Jesus(Gal.3:26,27, 1Cor.12:13). And to be born again (John 3:5). Baptism is a command of God and is essential to obedience (Acts 10:47,48, obedience is necessary to being saved, Heb. 5:8,9).

Water baptism stands between the lost and spiritual washing in the blood of Jesus (Acts 22:16, Matt. 26:28, 1Peter 3:21). Furthermore, baptism stands between the sinner and being a new creature (2Cor.5:17, Gal.3:27, Rom.6:5,6), the promise of the Spirit (Acts 2:38, 3:19), and the death of Jesus (Rom.6:3-5). Moreover, one cannot partake of the blessings of the Kingdom of God and exercise a good conscience without water baptism (John 3:3-5, 1Peter 3:21).

THE SCRIPTURES BY EXAMPLE SHOWS WHEN INDEED A BELIEVER NEEDS TO BE BAPTIZED FOR THE REMISSION OF SIN.......Many religions practice periodical baptism (monthly, etc.). This practice reflects the lack of belief of the foregoing teaching of the scriptures. When the people asked what to do in order to be saved and Peter told them (and used the Keys to Kingdom, opening the door to the Kingdom/Church) to repent and be baptized for the remission of sin, we read, "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized...." (Acts 2:37, 38,41). When the man from Ethiopia had Jesus preached to him, his "IMMEDIATE" response was, "see, here is water, what doth hinder me to be baptized?" (Acts 8:36.) The Jailer heard the gospel at a very inopportune time (Acts 16:25). Notwithstanding, we read,".....and was baptized he and all his, STRAIGHTWAY" (Vs.33). It is obvious that the scriptures do not teach "water salvation" or "baptismal regeneration." However, the people were IMMEDIATELY baptized in apostolic times because baptism was a necessary part of preaching and accepting Christ, the people understood the urgent and essential nature of water baptism.
0 Replies