Comb-overs in the age of Rogaine

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:02 pm
Comb-overs in the age of Rogaine: WHY?

I know of a guy who does a comb-over (and even uses hairspray to keep it in place). I don't get it.

[Now, this is most definitely not my husband. His hair is thinning and he won't use Rogaine because he does not want to put 'weird chemicals' on his head. But he does not do a comb-over, he keeps his hair short and neat (actually a little shorter than I'd like, but it's his hair). I don't care; he has a handsome face and the hair doesn't matter much to me.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,473 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:06 pm
And that would explain it, yes? For some, they don't want to use Rogaine. For others, they've tried it, but it doesn't work (it's not a 100% success rate).

As for choosing a comb-over versus any other method of doing one's hair, that's just what some people choose. They think they look good or at least serviceable and that's that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:51 pm
Rogaine has a very low success rate.

If you regard a comb-over as a futile attempt at disguise, it is a bit silly. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. On the other hand, as Jespah pointed out, some men comb over because they have always combed over and combing over is their bag.

More objectively, why is a full head of hair more desirable than baldness? Because it is "more youthful"? Why is being youthful more charming than being mature?

The hairs of a man's head may be numbered, but there is no guarantee that high numbers of hairs correlate with character, charm, intelligence or wealth.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
Until you admit you have a problem........How can you ask for help?
Ceili
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
I am working on just letting my ear hairs grow out long enough to use in a comb-over.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:49 pm
Dys Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 01:53 pm
I have very little hair on the top of my head. I do not admit to having a problem.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:20 pm
One of the fellas at work has not too much hair on top of his head. He was doing some kind of interesting thing up there to try to distract people from the evidence in front of them. (hard to describe - not exactly a comb-over - more of a, errrrr, ummmmm, comb-around, with a swirl). He went and got his hair cut this weekend - short - and he looks FABULOUS! I think he's more than a little startled by the reaction - but honestly, he looks sooooo good now. We had no idea. I was on the phone when he came in and could hear the OOHing and ahhhhhhing over the call I was on.

I hope the v.p. who does a comb-over aided by blow-drying and mousse hears a bit of the rejoicing. He could only look better.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:27 pm
ehBeth - I think your story is a good one. I've seen plenty of attractive men with little to no hair, but I've never seen an attractive man with a comb-over. It just isn't flattering.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:44 pm
Old habits are hard to break. I love the story that ehBeth told. I had the same experience, but I was the one cutting the hair on a man that looked like cousin IT...after I was done with a short clipper cut, there appeared a man underneath that didn't resemble the one that come in. WOW....wish more men could have seen that!
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:57 am
Bald women . . .

are incredibly sexy.

As long as the guy doesn't implant mounting brackets for steel spikes into his skull, I think that
bald guys should take inspiration from the fairer sex.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 01:11 am
I remember one bald guy who drove me wild, hmmm, wonder where he is now? Anyway, I enjoyed ehbeth's description and entirely agree. On the other hand, I don't see many combovers anymore, and gee, am I nostalgic?
No, I'm not, but maybe a little softer in opinion than I was a few years ago.
0 Replies