Moses and Judaism, Inspired by God or Egypt?

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:01 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17615 wrote:

Rape is Okay-

These citations will take more time to discuss. I don't have that time right now, I will later this weekend. OK, so you are not a liar. You are misinterpreting The Bible based on your predjudice.
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:04 am
@Silverchild79,
Vol... I truly look forward to your response.

Its memorial weekend, wait to respond untill your at work (Like i usually do LOL)
Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:46 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17626 wrote:
The inner room. Could quite litterally mean a room inside your house. Or it could me in your mind.

You ain't in my mind.
Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:47 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17631 wrote:
Vol... I truly look forward to your response.

Its memorial weekend, wait to respond untill your at work (Like i usually do LOL)

Sorry, I try to work every day like I am working for Christ since he gave me the job I have and sustains me every day. I'll just answer it here.
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:51 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;17680 wrote:
You ain't in my mind.

ME was a typo... should have been BE
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:51 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;17682 wrote:
Sorry, I try to work every day like I am working for Christ since he gave me the job I have and sustains me every day. I'll just answer it here.

Answer however you see fit
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:59 pm
@Volunteer,
Quote:
Originally stated by rugonnacry
Rape is Okay-

Volunteer;17629 wrote:
These citations will take more time to discuss. I don't have that time right now, I will later this weekend. OK, so you are not a liar. You are misinterpreting The Bible based on your predjudice.

The first mistake you make in your interpretation is to think that God condones rape because rape is chronicled in The Bible. Accounts of rape in the Bible are accounts of bad behavior.

Murder, rape, and pillage at Jabesh-gilead (Judges 21:10-24 NLT)
In the citation above, there is no indication that God approved of the actions of the Israelites. You also left off the last line:"25 In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes." This terminology is a standard for condemnation of the subject behavior.

Does that seem like God condones kiddnapping, rape, murder, or enslavery? If it does to you, you are choosing to ignore the context. You are also choosing to ignore what God did to the tribe of Benjamin. If you go back further, to first Samuel 8, you will find that God did not approve of the children of Israel having human kings in the first place, let alone doing whatever was right in their own eyes.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:05 pm
@Silverchild79,
Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'

I guess I only needed to post one.
Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:12 pm
@Volunteer,
Quote:
Rape is Okay-

Volunteer;17629 wrote:
This will prevent the people of the land from teaching you to imitate their detestable customs in the worship of their gods, which would cause you to sin deeply against the Lord your God."

The fact that the children of Israel were directed to kill the inhabitants of the land they were entering was not approval of murder since murder is the killing of an innocent and as the passage you cite and others in the same book state, these people were not innocent in the eyes of God.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:13 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17690 wrote:
Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'

I guess I only needed to post one.

I'll address this after I finish with your first lot. Also, you didn't acknowledge what I stated in my reply.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:15 pm
@Silverchild79,
I did not add or change wording to any of the quotes. I made comments after some of them though
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:16 pm
@Silverchild79,
I am not interested in you adressing other than that one... Your first attempt at discredited the passages in YOUR OWN bible, was Those are stories not Gods word.

So just adress the last one I just reposted.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:18 pm
@Silverchild79,
Not innocent in the eyes of god? If god says to kill a group of people its okay? You know Sadam Hussein's god said the same thing.

You have lost any credibility to your argument. But go ahead contine I am sure you will come up with something.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:21 pm
@Volunteer,
Quote:
Rape is Okay-

Volunteer;17629 wrote:

The next passage you cite as justifying rape is not a quote from the passage, but your own words. DT 22 deals with maintaining sexual purity and identifies what is improper sexual conduct and, in the old testament context, what should be done about that conduct. This section follows a section concerning caring for your brother's property and preserving natural distinctions.

The passage speaks for itself. Here is the entire passage concerning sexual misconduct from the translation you quote: 13 “Suppose a man marries a woman, but after sleeping with her, he turns against her 14 and publicly accuses her of shameful conduct, saying, ‘When I married this woman, I discovered she was not a virgin.’ 15 Then the woman’s father and mother must bring the proof of her virginity to the elders as they hold court at the town gate. 16 Her father must say to them, ‘I gave my daughter to this man to be his wife, and now he has turned against her. 17 He has accused her of shameful conduct, saying, “I discovered that your daughter was not a virgin.” But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.’ Then they must spread her bed sheet before the elders. 18 The elders must then take the man and punish him. 19 They must also fine him 100 pieces of silver, which he must pay to the woman’s father because he publicly accused a virgin of Israel of shameful conduct. The woman will then remain the man’s wife, and he may never divorce her.
20 “But suppose the man’s accusations are true, and he can show that she was not a virgin. 21 The woman must be taken to the door of her father’s home, and there the men of the town must stone her to death, for she has committed a disgraceful crime in Israel by being promiscuous while living in her parents’ home. In this way, you will purge this evil from among you.

22 “If a man is discovered committing adultery, both he and the woman must die. In this way, you will purge Israel of such evil.

23 “Suppose a man meets a young woman, a virgin who is engaged to be married, and he has sexual intercourse with her. If this happens within a town, 24 you must take both of them to the gates of that town and stone them to death. The woman is guilty because she did not scream for help. The man must die because he violated another man’s wife. In this way, you will purge this evil from among you.

25 “But if the man meets the engaged woman out in the country, and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.

28 “Suppose a man has intercourse with a young woman who is a virgin but is not engaged to be married. If they are discovered, 29 he must pay her father fifty pieces of silver. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

30 “A man must not marry his father’s former wife, for this would violate his father.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:29 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17698 wrote:
I did not add or change wording to any of the quotes. I made comments after some of them though

Failing to include the full context or leaving critical portions out of a quote to change the meaning is a form of lying. I take back what I said about you not lying.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:31 pm
@Silverchild79,
Okay I am a liar. and you live your life based on a lie. which is worse?
Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:44 pm
@Volunteer,
Quote:
Rape is Okay-

Volunteer;17629 wrote:
These citations will take more time to discuss. I don't have that time right now, I will later this weekend. You are misinterpreting The Bible based on your predjudice.

2 Samuel 12 recounts the encounter between God's prophet, Nathan, and King David after David murdered one of his men (brothers) to cover up his sins and then married that man's wife. David initially had anger that he was discovered and that his sin was condemned. God did not condone anything David did, quite the opposite.

David reaped what he sowed and some of that punishment fell upon his child. According to the Bible, God's view is that children are innocent and innocents may be removed from bad situations by death. God does the removing, not man. Absent from the body, present with The Lord. Once to die, and then, the judgement.

The key after this passage is that David repented of his sin and asked for God's forgiveness. Even then, God did not restrain his punnishment of David.

9'Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon.

10'Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.'

11"Thus says the LORD, 'Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight.

12'Indeed you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, and under the sun.'"

13Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD " And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has taken away your sin; you shall not die.

14"However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born to you shall surely die."

15So Nathan went to his house.

16David therefore inquired of God for the child; and David fasted and went and lay all night on the ground.
17The elders of his household stood beside him in order to raise him up from the ground, but he was unwilling and would not eat food with them.

18Then it happened on the seventh day that the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they said, "Behold, while the child was still alive, we spoke to him and he did not listen to our voice. How then can we tell him that the child is dead, since he might do himself harm!"

19But when David saw that his servants were whispering together, David perceived that the child was dead; so David said to his servants, "Is the child dead?" And they said, "He is dead."

20So David arose from the ground, washed, anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he came into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he came to his own house, and when he requested, they set food before him and he ate.

21Then his servants said to him, "What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food."

22He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, 'Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.'

23"But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:46 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17708 wrote:
Okay I am a liar. and you live your life based on a lie. which is worse?

You say the Bible is a lie, but you're a liar by your own admission.

You state the Bible is a lie. My belief is the Bible is The Word of God. God does not lie.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:46 pm
@Silverchild79,
Your boring me now.

I have shown where even YOUR GOD says rape is okay, and all you have done is given me MORE fodder as to why your god is a crock of sh!t. IE its okay to commit genocide, as long as God says to do it.
Volunteer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:50 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;17715 wrote:
Your boring me now.

I have shown where even YOUR GOD says rape is okay, and all you have done is given me MORE fodder as to why your god is a crock of sh!t. IE its okay to commit genocide, as long as God says to do it.

You get bored easily when someone is able to show you are lying.
0 Replies