Hybrid Theory not factual?

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:01 am
Consumer reports just tested the new Civic Hybrid. The EPA estimates 46MPG city, 47MPG highway

what did CR find?

26MPG in the city

Hybrid Gas Mileage Falls Short, Varying Estimates Lead To Confusion About Cars' Actual MPG - CBS News

Now you won't catch me buying a copy of Gore's new movie, but I'm huge on the idea of getting away from oil. Simply from the fact that the money goes to support the countries we're in ideological struggle with.

If we did that with the Soviet Union during the cold war they would have probably won. Even knowing that we can't get a straight answer from the EPA on fuel economy.

We all know the technology is there, Ford released an EV Ranger in 1998 that traveled 130 miles a charge with normal power output and a cost of just $2 a tank!

Ford Ranger EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a less convenient option will (finally) be available in 2010 as Subaru will be releasing an EV. Unfortunately it seems as if Technology has went backwards because they can't only get 70 miles out of it and it's a unappealing (how convenient) micro car.

Subaru R1e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 1
No top replies

briansol

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 03:58 pm
@Silverchild79,
gore's movie was actually very factual and not a whinning fest as most make it out to be. its worth the watch IMO.

having a friend who had a honda insight (esolsi), i;ve seen first hand what it is capable of. he averaged about 55 mpg, and had a high of 77mpg on his best tank.

the civic is less aerodynamic, is heavier, and has a larger motor, so i can surely seeing it being less fuel efficient.

While the need to get off foreign oil is important, the problem is not with honda civics or any hibrids.

its the pickups that get 8mpg, the suv's that get 12 on a good day, and the lack of a better option besides driving.

I live in the 4th largest city in my state, 70,000 people. There is 1 cab company with 3 cabs. you have to call 4 hours a head of time to get one.
there are 2 buses. each have their own route and pretty much just circle downtown, which makes it useless for anyone on the outskirts to get into downtown.
there is no train or subway service for 30 miles.

you HAVE to drive if you live here. or, take 4 hours out of your life to walk to get a jug of milk. who has time for that?

A monorail/train from bristol to Hartford would cut at least 30,000 cars on the road daily, as most people who do commute, commute to Hartford for work every day.

But, it costs money that no one has to spend.

Ike made the move with the interstates in the 50s
our next president should set up some suburb-to-city transit lines (that don't suck and are convenient)

bristol->hartford
PA outskirts -> jersey
insert your town here -> insert larger city here
0 Replies