Scholoarship for white, hetersexual males draws heat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
FOXNews.com - University of Rhode Island Student Groups Duel Over Free Speech - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

obviously it was a joke, but in all fairness if one race can do something and another cannot isn't that by definition racism?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,408 • Replies: 15
No top replies

B A N A N A S

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:43 pm
@Silverchild79,
Nope.

Its life kiddo - life just aint fair.

Some systems are more or less fair (to certain groups) than others.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:53 pm
@Silverchild79,
Damn straight is racism. By any definition of the word.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:54 pm
@Silverchild79,
Why can't you try to change something if it's not fair? Do you just sit there when some unfair system disadvantages you in some way and say "Oh well, life's not fair."?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
Are you referring to me?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:17 pm
@Silverchild79,
No, the guy above you.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 02:19 pm
@Silverchild79,
Cool.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 10:11 pm
@Silverchild79,
I have never understood the double stander in regards to race. But really that is what a lot of people do faced with a broken system. They sit back and say life is not fair. Some people cannot be bothered by asking for a real explanation to why things are the way they are.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 01:38 am
@Silverchild79,
I won't argue that there isn't a need for the united negro college fund or anything, but for one good example of this kind of need you can find two examples (usually) of people making claims that "the man be holding me down". I was watching Spike TV, have you seen "Bullrun"? Episode three the two black doods from Cali got pulled over for what they called "driving while black"

The reality
They were in a hopped up civic with a roll cage visible from the back window and an illegally displayed licence. I don't care if they were white with a Yale bumper sticker, in that car you're getting pulled over...
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:11 am
@Silverchild79,
I saw that episode, i laughed my ass off about that one. What the hell did they think driving through Oregon in a lowered honda with grafitti all over it. I would guess they didn't think they stuck out? Oh wait, it was because they were black! MY ASS!!!
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:34 am
@Silverchild79,
400 year's of learning blacks denyed by the CHRIST FOLLOWINGAmerican government. Is it not fair to grant 400 year's free education to blacks?

But what is more shameful than denying one the ability of reading the Bible if it really is the word of God? Some GENUINE white christians seen this and did the right thing perhaps that is why a portion of blacks hold on to white Jesus
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
@Silverchild79,
I doubt Jesus was white, at least not like american white. He lived in a very sunny area, near the equator, even if he was white, his skin was at least much darker than what is normally depicted.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:38 am
@Silverchild79,
The civil war was a fight for equality, which would be taken away if this happened.

Jesus probably looked Mediterannean, which would be technically white.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:43 am
@Silverchild79,
I find it funny how much importance people put in their genetic heritage, here in Brazil maybe 1% of the population has no black heritage. White brazilians are actually more genetically similar to africans than europeans.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:46 am
@Silverchild79,
Geneticists are still unsure about this. There's some who think people like Italians and Greeks might have some black genes, so Jesus could have been partially black too, but who knows.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:16 am
@Silverchild79,
When America, as a "free speech" society condemns satire, be careful. When we sometimes fail to see humor in the highly charged racism topics, we are taking ourselves too seriously.

However, the conflict comes from the students themselves, the student senators not the Administration. Perhaps, they should simply have a pro/con debate concerning the article on the campus with no threat of reprisal, just free opinions.

"400 year's of learning blacks denyed by the CHRIST FOLLOWINGAmerican government. Is it not fair to grant 400 year's free education to blacks?"

No it I do not believe it is. The 200+ year old American government was not solely responsible for educating "blacks" in our society. Nor were they wholly as a people denied education throughout all of America. If we touch on the issue of "black" American history, should we fail to mention American history through the eyes of the Native population.

I believe the instution of slavery - it's world and specific American history, socio-econ history, and how it shapes public opinion today in America should be taught in our school text books.

"The civil war was a fight for equality, which would be taken away if this happened."

I disagree.

I would argue the Lincoln Administration's primary goal at the outset of the Civil War was to reunite the nation.

As the war progressed, slavery and equal rights for "blacks" were claimed as the cause, both because it gave the North a rallying cry and I think, in Lincoln's view, was the "right" moral thing to do. And although the 1865 Northern victory in the American Civil War claimed to provide equal rights for said "blacks", amendments were needed in the 1960s to provide those rights.

But yes, equality should be given to student organizations especially as part of an American educational institution.

Free thinking organizations have been an integral part of American society. Those organizations, despite view, should be able to express their views provided it adheres to our civic laws. In my humble opinion, that is one aspect which makes my America great.
0 Replies