Thanksgiving

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:25 am
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Question: Why are most US citizens feasting today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:33 am
@Volunteer,
Happy thanksgiving...

I could be a smart ass in my response.... so I will.... We are celebrating the time where we nearly committed mass genocide of the indigenous people of this country by gorging ourselves and raising the obesity rate a full percentage point in ONE day
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:34 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;46480 wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Question: Why are most US citizens feasting today?

Traditional reason: It is a celebration of the friendship between native Americans and the Europeans who traveled here.

Modern Reason: Black Friday is tomorrow. Eating tomorrow cuts into valuable shopping time, therefore we must fuel up enough to make it through the entire day nonstop.
Volunteer

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:57 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;46486 wrote:
Traditional reason: It is a celebration of the friendship between native Americans and the Europeans who traveled here.

From the web page poilgrims.net:
THE FIRST THANKSGIVING

"This is the way the feast was described in a first-hand account presumably by a leader of the colony, Edward Winslow, as it appears in Mourt's Relation:

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, Many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest King Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.""
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:14 pm
@Volunteer,
"If the indians had killed a cat instead of a turkey, we would all be eating pussy for Thanksgiving."
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:00 am
@Volunteer,
First of all, thank you very much for your salutations. The answer to your question is, we are celebrating a historical traditional holiday due to the grace of God and the many blessings that have been bestowed upon our nation and our families. There are many peoples across the globe that are far less fortunate. I personally give thanks, to the many soldiers, sailors, and airmen, that are serving overseas and at home in defense of our freedoms that allow us this opportunity.....even the opportunity to speak our minds about the many mistakes of our history, on this day. Blessings to everyone and I hope that everyone that reads my words has indeed enjoyed this "turkeyday"....I know that I have, perhaps over enjoyed. That is why I am probably typing to myself at almost one in the morning, again Thanks for the thought of the salutations, good nite to all. RD
Volunteer

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 10:29 am
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;46538 wrote:
First of all, thank you very much for your salutations. The answer to your question is, we are celebrating a historical traditional holiday due to the grace of God and the many blessings that have been bestowed upon our nation and our families. There are many peoples across the globe that are far less fortunate. I personally give thanks, to the many soldiers, sailors, and airmen, that are serving overseas and at home in defense of our freedoms that allow us this opportunity.....even the opportunity to speak our minds about the many mistakes of our history, on this day. Blessings to everyone and I hope that everyone that reads my words has indeed enjoyed this "turkeyday"....I know that I have, perhaps over enjoyed. That is why I am probably typing to myself at almost one in the morning, again Thanks for the thought of the salutations, good nite to all. RD

...............Amen
0 Replies