where to sell a diamond ring?

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:52 pm
I have a diamond engagement ring I'd like to sell, but don't know where I can get a decent price on it.

If you're wondering, it is from my first marriage and I offered to give it back to my ex & he refused it. (Don't feel bad for him; he got to keep the Ethan Allan furniture, a fancy watch, nice camera, and tons of other stuff.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,221 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:00 pm
bromeliad--

Welcome to A2K.

Many jewelers buy "used" jewelery, just ask. Don't be shocked when you are offered about a tenth of the original price. Diamonds have an enormous markup.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:03 pm
That's what I was afraid of...

Thanks.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:34 pm
How about eBay?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:37 pm
Jewelers will weigh the ring and calculate the gold accordingly. A good jeweler will appraised the diamond. Most new jewelery has at least a 400% markup, but most likely you'll get less than wholesale. Why not save the ring and have it and any other excess gold you may have melted down and made into something more your style, a pendant or a new ring perhaps.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:28 pm
I agree with Celli- Make the ring into something else. Unless it is a "rock" you are not going to get what it's worth. That is, unless you need the money for something more important.

By the way, I sold my 1st husband's engagement ring, and spent it on my master's degree!
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
I dunno; I'd rather have the cash. I don't even like diamonds. I asked for a pearl engagement ring, but he convinced me that we needed to have something that looked like a 'real' engagement ring for the relatives. I should have realized then that we weren't compatible. It definitely *isn't* a rock. Maybe I can get $75.

~good for you, Phoenix!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
bromeliad, sometimes it isn't obvious... it's only later that you think, "I shoulda known!" At least you're out -- and some people don't even get a ring to sell. Smile
0 Replies

seancarlin

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 05:56 pm
sounds very materialistic
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 06:29 pm
Preference of one "material" to another doesn't indicate materialism. It indicates the preference.
0 Replies