Masters & slaves & their pets ..

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 05:09 am
A quote from a vet on radio this morning:

"Dogs have masters & cats have slaves."

Does this accurately describe YOUR relationship with the critter in your life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,989 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 06:15 am
msolga- Can't speak for myself right now, because I don't have any animals now. Have had dogs in the past. But I can speak about my son.

He has three cats, each one different from the other. One is a "scaredy cat", and hides under furniture most of the time. The second is the typical "princess" cat, who looks down upon her throne with regal disdain. I would suppose that she is what you would say is the master (mistress) cat, with my son doing her bidding.

The third cat, and my son's favorite, I have named the "dog-cat". If you watch his behavior, and ignored his looks, you would think that he was a lap dog.

In the wild, most cats (except for lions) are solitary creatures, and it is believed that is why most common house cats behave in an aloof manner.
Canines, on the other hand, are pack animals, and look to the alpha male (in this case, the master) for direction and guidance.

The only thing that I can say about my son's dog-cat, is somewhere in its lineage, an ancestor had a "thing" for a puppy dog! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 02:55 pm
There's been a study on dog behavior and lineage put out recently. Says that all domestic dogs did descend from wolves (it had been contended) quite some time ago. Native in the americas had domesticated dogs pre-columbus. Dogs can read tiny little bits of human body language (even, I think, if it's not 'their' human). Wolves can't read humans at all.

I wish they'd do a study on cats.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 03:42 pm
Trust me, k. Cats read body language like a book. Even 6 or 8 week old Leto can read the difference between "I'm going to get held" and "I'm getting stuffed into the carrier and going to the vet again."

But you already knew that.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 07:21 pm
I think the relationship between my doggy and us is more like the parent/child relationship -- and I certainly don't think that is a master/slave relationship at all.

Jenny listens when she thinks it is to her advantage (and when it is absolutely demanded of her), but she feels she must continuously 'test'. And she can be downright demanding when she feels a need for some petting. When she is hurting, we are her comforters; and when she is afraid, we are her protectors. But we are not ever really her masters.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 07:23 pm
Anyone who owns a poodle knows that the dog is the master and the owner is the slave! Mr. Green
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:52 pm
roger, my cat doesn't know the difference unless the crate is in his field of vision. He's inbred from NM......
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:55 pm
Lemme think on that a little while.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:56 pm
take your time
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:57 pm
And you think I'm picking on you, roger?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 10:01 pm
<snicker>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:58 am
My dog was bred for his job, and sometimes I am his job, which works out.
But sometimes his job develops sidelines that I don't find applicable to the main job, ahem.

Iam not his slave or he mine. Well, let us call us very friendly associates.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:46 am
As long as I see to it there is food, water, shelter, and playthings available, and follow the "Romping Schedule", my dogs let me do just about anything I want. They are very kind to me in that way. They will, however, kibutz and offer suggestions of varying degrees of helpfulness at times I am occupied with matters outside their direct sphere of interest.

timber
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:27 am
I am the alpha-female in our pack - which makes me top dog. Thank goodness. I am however, a very very very very benevolant top dog. Ask any small dog requiring love and treats. I'm there for them.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:08 pm
I think of myself more as staff rather than Possum's slave.

I have a clear job description, and clear guidelines. As long as I adhere to those guidelines, I am allowed to do pretty much as I want. Mind you, step outside those guidelines, or pay insufficient attention to the task in hand, and there's hell to pay.

I was found watching the cricket on TV yesterday at a time when food should have been prepared. Dis-satisfaction was expressed strongly, and I won't do that again! (and I only bled a little bit Confused )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:37 pm
The basic question, it seems to me, is who picks up who's pooh?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 03:16 pm
That's a fairly definitive test.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 04:30 pm
Glad to see that most of you have more democratic relationships with your critter/s than what exists here!
The "pooh" question is an interesting one .... Luckily for me, mine do it in the garden, so we're not forced to test the pecking order on that one. Just as well!
I try to convince myself that my menagerie & I are like a family, doing what we can for each other & taking SOME responsibilities for our own chores, etc. .... but to be honest I feel like I'm running a cts' holiday resort!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 06:02 pm
Master/slave I think my relationship with Carlotta and Bean is both. When it is time to eat I am the master but when it is time to clean the cat box and pick up the pooh, I am the slave. But the rewards far out weight a little bit of cleaning up after them.

Bean definitely would have been and alpha bitch if she had not been abused which makes her very difficult at times. Some times I suspect that is why she was abused she. So she ends up being both bossy and needy.

Carlotta, chose me, and well we have a working agreement.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:45 pm
I wouldn't call me the cats' slave - but they do tell me what they expect me to do. So we test who has more power from time to time. But they are also so cuddly and sweet - so of course I will clean the litter box and feed them. I guess we just love each other.
0 Replies