XP or 2000 pro?

music2myear

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
BillW wrote:
I would think that it would be both "Pro" and "Home". The only thing I am referring to is MS revamping there software and only supporting recent previous versions so that they can stay away from upgrade discounts as much as possible.

I've worked extensively with both Pro and Home and there is no comparison. Home is a cheap alternative with a pretty interface (if all you want is a pretty interface, go with Apple). It has best been likened to a simple update of the worst MS OS of all time, ME. Do not buy Home even if your life depends on it, death is sweeter and more peaceful.
Pro is a totally different OS, with real stability, security, and usability.

Also, speaking of support. Compared to the other major desktop OS maker, Apple, MS is doing a great job of supporting its old Oses. Windows update just stopped supporting Win95 in the late spring of this year (2003) and still maintains a page with all the critical and recommended updates for the OS. And that OS is over 8 years old now, archaic by even the most lenient standards. With the advent of much better OSes (Win2K, XP, 2K3) MS has shortened its support cycle while (apparently) lengthening its development cycle. Rumor has it that Win98 with cease being supported sometime early next year as that OS enters it's 6th year. And MS still maintains it's complete Knowledge Base (KB) articles on OSes 95 and later (with a few articles for 3.1).

Apple on the other hand has stopped supporting OS 9, which is only 3-4 years old by my reckoning (correct me if I'm wrong). And on the Apple site you are hard pressed to find a page which contains even the slightest support (KB) information on OS 8 (5 years).

Just some thoughts that may help...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:38 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Craven, I am curious.

What is the reason for such a strong dislike of Google?

I love Google. I just want the playing field in terms of search leveled. The more competition there is, the better off we are.

Microsoft is an 800 pound Gorilla but in terms of search they are a knat compared to Google.

For example, this site's search engine traffic is usually around 70% Google and 4% MSN Search.

The more competitive search engines there are out there, the better we will be served. Google has a commanding and deserved lead. I want to see some competition for them to keep them on their toes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:40 pm
music2myear wrote:

what about Longhorn has the possibility of destroying google?

unless MS incorporates some web crawler into each OS that creates it's own, on the box, search engine Smile

What it might do is integrate websearch into the Longhorn operating system more extensively than MSN search is currently bundled with IE.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:31 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Craven, I am curious.

What is the reason for such a strong dislike of Google?

I love Google. I just want the playing field in terms of search leveled. The more competition there is, the better off we are.

Microsoft is an 800 pound Gorilla but in terms of search they are a knat compared to Google.

For example, this site's search engine traffic is usually around 70% Google and 4% MSN Search.

The more competitive search engines there are out there, the better we will be served. Google has a commanding and deserved lead. I want to see some competition for them to keep them on their toes.

CDK where can this Longhorn be tried out?
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:53 pm
What are some concrete differences between WinXP Home and Pro? I've used both and I can't seem to see a major difference for an average user. More effective network administration is the only thing I've noticed.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:39 pm
xp home is just a crippled pro. same exact OS with just some features removed. the average joe would not be affected.

i also don't see how longhorn would directly affect google's dominance. it's just an OS. they'll probably integrate a search engine but knowing microsoft that shouldn't be news to anyone.

longhorn will have much greater search capabilites for files on your hard drive or network. this is due to the new file system dubbed winfs. it basically stores everything as a huge database making it much more flexible. now i guess the next version of windows server would incorporate this so that websites hosted on those servers can make longhorn users utilize the ability to search those web servers like they would search a database. but most web servers on the internet are unix/linux based.

as for linux, i dual-boot windows xp pro and mandrake linux. both are great. but there's just some things i can't do in linux like some advanced video editing. some of linux's benefits are security and almost unlimited customability. it's as easy to install as windows and almost as easy to use and can be made to look much better. but the lack of some important software (ie. macromedia development tools) and difficulty to install certain things (ie. drivers) are serious disadvantages for novices.

for the average user that just surfs the web, does some wordprocessing, and chats online, linux is perfectly fine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:45 pm
ye110man wrote:

longhorn will have much greater search capabilites for files on your hard drive or network. this is due to the new file system dubbed winfs. it basically stores everything as a huge database making it much more flexible. now i guess the next version of windows server would incorporate this so that websites hosted on those servers can make longhorn users utilize the ability to search those web servers like they would search a database. but most web servers on the internet are unix/linux based.

Longhorn will probably bundle said system with their own version of a search engine. E.g. a user would be able to searchhis/her files, the net etc from one integrated system.

It probably won't be better than Google, but it might be made to be more convenient for the novice user (a part of their very operating system) and that can help erode Google's market share.

Combine this will Yahoo dumping Google and going with one of their purchased engines the se market is about to get interesting.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:53 pm
i want to learn about longhorn anyone? so you are you saying it going to be better then everything out there?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:09 pm
I don't know if it will be any better than XP. And nobody knows yet. Including the people making it.

The proof is in the pudding.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:54 pm
I'm dreaming of the day when I have enough time to go back to my roots academically, and learn enough about systems to get every microsoft product out of my life.

Since I've procrastinated this long, I'm finally going to have to cave and upgrade from 98 within the world of windows, and it's really annoying. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:11 pm
haha i see i want to get linux.
0 Replies