Questions on importing goods from China

Sat 22 Nov, 2003 04:38 pm
Hello All-

I was hoping that some of you may have some knowledge on importing goods from China.

We are considering importing optic crystal awards and gifts directly from the manufacturers. We are currently buying them from distributors here in the USA at a substantial mark up.

I hesitate to ask the factory I am dealing with, as their English isn't very good and it takes a day to get a reply.

So...

We will be buying in less than container quantities. We are looking for something faster than container ship, but slower and less expensive than Air (UPS runs around $3 per pound). Does anyone know of any options? Also what should we expect to pay? 2-3 week delivery would be perfect if we could find a logical pricing relationship.

Also, most of the suppliers want to be paid via T/T. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I can only assume that it is some type of transfer. I am a little bit familiar with L/C's, but that isn't what they want.

Last, is there any way to protect myself from being ripped off? If we pay first because the supplier doesn't trust "unknowns," what says we won't be ripped off by them?

Thanks in advance,

Guy Kass
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,960 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:25 pm
Insist on the L/C. This is standard and I pay for my Chinese and Malaysian imports this way. An L/C ensures that they get paid, there is no reasonable reason for them to reject it.

Also, I don't get the opposition to containers and shipments.

The peak season is almost over, and 3 week delivery times are not unreasonable.

I import full containers from China all the time and the ocean usually takes me 10-15 days.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:45 am
Craven,

Just out of curiosity, what are you importing from China and Malaysia by the container? I kinda imagine you spend 24/7 on your computer.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:51 am
a T/T is a telegraphic transfer also known as money transfer. This is usually used when they are not sure of the clients. This means they get your money first before they ship out the items.

If you are importing a substantial amount. It is worth visiting China during their many scheduled trade fairs. The Quandong (Guandong) Province usually host a lot of them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:55 am
Ricardo_Tizon wrote:
Craven,

Just out of curiosity, what are you importing from China and Malaysia by the container? I kinda imagine you spend 24/7 on your computer.

I import medical gloves. But my company isn't doing well and I do indeed work more at my computer than my job.

Mainly because my work on computers pays better. ;-)
jazzyjones

Mon 9 Jul, 2012 03:16 am
@Craven de Kere,
importing from china is very easy it can be done by contacting to the comanies which provide supply facilities.
china takes raw material from differnt countries and then sell that making processed good.
0 Replies