Chuck one up for the good guys! SCOTUS

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:04 am
Heard on fox news a little while ago. Just came in in a 5 to 4 vote. US citizens do not have the right to challenge the administrations policy's. With reference to helping religious entities with federal funds. Couldn't find a link online.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,724 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:55 am
@Drnaline,
so now we have government back churches that people aren't allowed to challenge in a free country?

how exactly is this good?
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:39 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;23479 wrote:
so now we have government back churches that people aren't allowed to challenge in a free country?

You know we don't. You guys are pining about nothing. You're just paranoic about Christianity in politics, culture and society. Sorry, but the West, in general, is rooted in Christian culture. :headbang:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:41 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;23479 wrote:

EVery one else can receive federal assistance why not Churchs?
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:41 am
@Drnaline,
the fact remains that as a free country everything should be subject to popular support, at least when it comes to government dollars being used for financial aid.

the first time the government gives money to an Islamic church (which should take six months tops), I'll save you the trouble of hearing me say "I told you so"
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:42 am
@Drnaline,
let churches live and die by their supporters I say, if a church is failing why prop it up with government $? This just screams of porkbarrel
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
@Drnaline,
There not proping them up, they are helping them in assisting people in strife. Shelter, food kichens and the like. Who more then Churchs flocked to aid in New Orleans?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:49 am
@Drnaline,
I dunno, ever since I delivered food to a Baptist Minister with a brand new Corvette in Abilene Texas I've had concerns about churches

local political ads were also paid for by Pioneer Drive Baptist Church as well
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:03 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;23511 wrote:
EVery one else can receive federal assistance why not Churchs?

Than they can pay some ******* taxes too. Leeches just like illegal immigrants, want freebies and not have to cough up to the kitty, **** that.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
@Drnaline,
that is true, they aren't taxed because they're given special status because they're separate from the government, but yet they can get funding from taxes they don't pay?

Any real Republican should reject this, this goes against the doctrine of small government
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:16 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;23524 wrote:
Than they can pay some ******* taxes too. Leeches just like illegal immigrants, want freebies and not have to cough up to the kitty, **** that.
so you don't think charity should be taxfree?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:26 pm
@Drnaline,
charity should be but churches aren't charities by design

they are agenda driven institutions that also are involved in charities, by that measure McDonald's is a charity
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:28 pm
@Drnaline,
If i paid taxes on the money i give to the Church, should it be taxed again?
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:36 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;23544 wrote:
If i paid taxes on the money i give to the Church, should it be taxed again?

it's not your income it's their's

if you want to talk taxes there's 4646464644 different taxes which I can't stand, but you're leading me away from the argument

the problem here is that government officials can now give granted money to churches and the public has no legal right to challenge them. The fact that the government needs this protection should tell you something. This is another gateway to pork barrel spending, churches has very loyal voters...

Churches already get away with stuff the United Way couldn't, if the United Way spent the kind of marketing dollars the churches do (mission work) the IRS would take quite a bit more interest in them.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:44 pm
@Drnaline,
Quote:
The fact that the government needs this protection should tell you something.
Government wasn't asking for protection.
Quote:
This is another gateway to pork barrel spending, churches has very loyal voters...

Time will tell.
Quote:
Churches already get away with stuff the United Way couldn't, if the United Way spent the kind of marketing dollars the churches do (mission work) the IRS would take quite a bit more interest in them.
I don't think voluntary mission work can be constituted as marketing dollars?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:51 pm
@Drnaline,
what other physical mortal purpose does it serve?

If this were oil companies, private schools, political parties, or any other privately controlled entity that this protection was passed for you'd throw a fit. But you give it a pass because "this one is really the word of god", and that's no different then the Taliban ruling their country with their rule of god. It's a "we're the only ones right" kind of system that perpetuates the cycle of religious violence in the world.

time to write DeFazio
Reagaknight

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:53 pm
@Drnaline,
You have to admit that without churches, we'd have a whole lot more of messed up people. I think churches provide a plethora of public services that could qualify them to be funded by the government.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:07 pm
@Drnaline,
I think it's a useful institution for many people but we can also thank religion for Holy War, persecution, allot of Child Molestation, and some Dirty Politics.

I think I said it before but rationally society at large should view Christianity as the uncle that paid your way through college, but molested you.

and again, you're leading away from the debate, the fact of the matter is the American taxpayer has no right to challenge how their tax dollars are spent. How does that effect freedom of Religion, does a Buddhist want their tax dollars going to XYZ church? And you talk about charity, where's the conditional verbage here that states if said dollars are being used for charitable works?

It doesn't, the Churches can use the money for whatever they want. I personally witnessed a political election ad on TV that was paid for by Pioneer Drive Baptist Church in Abilene Texas. So potentially a politician can funnel monies into their church which can then be saved for a contribution for re-election.

boy that's just a great idea
One Man Clan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:36 pm
@Drnaline,
How is this a good thing?

Give the money back to the taxpayers, where it belongs.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:53 pm
@Drnaline,
There are giving it back, as aid.