Medicare

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:53 pm
This is a serious thread, I hope it doesn't attract the type of response often seen on this board. I don't want to argue the merits or demerits of Social Security, the insurance business, or politics related to these.

I will be 65 in December and am in the process of making sure I do everything right about Social Security and Medicare. I don't need them yet, but I think I am supposed to sign up for Medicare now.
I am still working full time and intend to continue for several more years.
I get lots of stuff in the mail offering Medicare plans, and advice from insurance companies, usually trying to convince me to buy their products. I am currently well insured by insurance from my job. I have sent a request to my insurance provider asking them for info. I think it might be worthwhile to stay with them if they offer a plan. It is Aetna, by the way.
Does anyone here have any experience and expertise in this regard?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 6
No top replies

briansol

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:42 am
@Curmudgeon,
Give AARP a holler. They specialize in Senior plans for everything from auto to health

AARP Health Care Options
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:01 am
@Curmudgeon,
AARP is on my list since I am a member, but I need more info from more sources. AARP, despite their stated mission is really a business and I often take issue with their stances on political matters.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:24 am
@Curmudgeon,
There are penalties built in to the program if you do not sign up and later get sick and need benefits that you should be aware of.

As Brian said AARP is a good place to start . Often senior citizens centers (at least large active ones) have a senior citizens advocate that can really help you. Or at least steer you to the people that can. Walmarts have supplement representatives with little booths in front of the pharmacy's that you should give a hearing to to get a idea of what you are up against. Those people at walmart are usually representing one company so listen don't buy till you research it well with other companies. Because once you buy you are stuck there for a year.
As far as what I know from being the power of attorney for several folks in nursing homes. You have a 18 month window to sign up on Medicare and the prescription drug program . If you do not sign up you can actually be denied medicare in the event you get a chronic illness, such as cancer or diabetes.
So its to your benefit to get signed up ASAP when you are eligible. And with the Medicare supplement policy you will be getting also , you will not need further insurance . Every thing will be covered.

The prescription drug plan is a huge problem in my opinion. But look for a medicare supplement policy that will cover both your medicare and prescription drugs under both plans. They are out there and vary per state.

Most people I know here in WV and Ohio for that matter have blue cross blue shield as supplement plans and they cover both programs for a low monthly fee of about $80

If you do not sign up for the drug program and later need it , they access a permanent penalty of a percentage of the drug cost that you will pay forever. Those penalties are low right now , but sure to increase as time goes on.

Good luck to you crumudgeon, let us know what you find out as its a interesting topic .
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:27 am
@Curmudgeon,
I will be making a decision and some choices this week.
I don't plan to retire yet, so I am unsure about what to sign up for. Still gathering info to make a good choice.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:15 am
@Curmudgeon,
Well I am on medicare,with aarp, and it is useless,I still have to pay when i see a doctor, and i only see a doctor once a year, I still have to pay $100 a month, this sucks.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 07:04 am
@Curmudgeon,
Well, it IS insurance, something we hope we don't need, but what if you do get sick? You will be covered. My contribution for insurance at my job is under $100 a month, but if I had to pay it all, I would not like it.
5 years ago, I paid into COBRA for 3 months, to the tune of $300 a month while between employers.
0 Replies