President Bush Says Schools Should Teach 'Intelligent Design' Alongside Evolution

Brent cv

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
@KyleUSAF,
KyleUSAF wrote:
even so, does that mean it shouldn't be taught because of how rediculous you think it is. I think evolution is rediculous. Do you still think it shouldn't be taught?

Evolution should be presented as a theory with its scientific facts associated with it.

Please present the scientific facts that should be taught in science class if you wish to have Intelligent Design taught.
ndjs

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 02:09 pm
@Brent cv,
We DID NOT COME FROM APES. That's taught as a scientific fact. We are much closer to chimpanzees, our genomes are only 4% different. That is a scientific fact.

The rest of what I'm about to type is straight out of my Biology notes and book.
We share a common relative with great apes, about 5-6 million years ago. Humans evolved separately from chimps, probably due to the formation of the land, we got separated and evolved in our own way.

Then we started to walk upright, changed some bone formation, brains got bigger, then once Homo sapiens hit the scene, we killed all our other relatives. Smile At times there were about 4 or 5 different species of human-like characters on the planet, not all of which we are related to.
Brent cv

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:54 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
We DID NOT COME FROM APES. That's taught as a scientific fact. We are much closer to chimpanzees, our genomes are only 4% different. That is a scientific fact.

Never said it wasnt just never came across it myself. I still do not believe Intelligent Design should be taught... maybe instead of countering something wrong in the education system with something else wrong we should fix the first wrong to begin with?

Quote:

The rest of what I'm about to type is straight out of my Biology notes and book.
We share a common relative with great apes, about 5-6 million years ago. Humans evolved separately from chimps, probably due to the formation of the land, we got separated and evolved in our own way.

Then we started to walk upright, changed some bone formation, brains got bigger, then once Homo sapiens hit the scene, we killed all our other relatives. Smile At times there were about 4 or 5 different species of human-like characters on the planet, not all of which we are related to.

Exactly which to me points me in so many directions other than "Intelligent Design"
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:40 pm
@Brent cv,
Sounds like it could be creationary evolution to me, which is exactly what I believe.

You know me Brent, I'm not very religious, but I would rather believe in a God, which the human brain is wired for, than believe in some random ass explosion that over the course of millions of years put me here.

You put all the pieces of a Boeing 747 in a warehouse, and get back to me when the earthquake happens that puts it together for me to fly off in.
Brent cv

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Sounds like it could be creationary evolution to me, which is exactly what I believe.

You know me Brent, I'm not very religious, but I would rather believe in a God, which the human brain is wired for, than believe in some random ass explosion that over the course of millions of years put me here.

You put all the pieces of a Boeing 747 in a warehouse, and get back to me when the earthquake happens that puts it together for me to fly off in.

I agree but I cant see myself believing in either... I would def go with the creation theory over the evolution theory... but... neither really are believeable to me.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
@Brent cv,
Well don't believe one. :p: It's not like you have to take any biology classes or pass a test. Smile
Brent cv

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Well don't believe one. :p: It's not like you have to take any biology classes or pass a test. Smile

I have too take two biology classes to get my Associates degree.....

I dont care though, I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions and do not take one professors word on anything.

Other people however....
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:47 pm
@Brent cv,
I agree with what you said. I didn't know you had to take two biology classes... They are probably entry level bio classes anyhow, and won't get in-depth with evolution, if they touch it at all. But those can be the most mis-leading. If the professor just mentions evolution, some in the class may think he means evolution is correct, and it is not in the most commonly thought of context.

For example, this is what most people think of when thinking of the evolution of man:
http://www.learner.org/channel/courses/biology/images/archive/fullsize/1678_fs.jpg

It is dead wrong.
0 Replies

STEVE cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:15 pm
@Brent cv,
I would not mind if they taught kids the history behind all religions.
But to teach them the christian theorys, i dont like. There is no proof for any of it, and a childs mind should not be cluttered by schools with such non-sense. If a childs parents brain wash their children with the exstance of god then so be it, but it has no place in a public school.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:25 pm
@Brent cv,
I wouldn't mind having religion taught equally in some classes anyways, because all I ever hear about is Indian religions here. For some reason they always wanna talk about that, but nobody can say the "God" word.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:52 pm
@Brent cv,
I can't believe the vote here - 11 for and 5 against.

America really is getting DUMB.
We may as well be in the Middle Ages when the Vatican told us the world was flat and that the sun was the center of the universe.

The fact that Georgie Boy wants Intelligent Design in school shows how dumb George is.

Should we also teach the theory of the UFO Spaghetti Monster?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:58 pm
@Brent cv,
Hello zozo.

Welcome aboard.:cool:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:12 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;8463 wrote:
I can't believe the vote here - 11 for and 5 against.

America really is getting DUMB.
We may as well be in the Middle Ages when the Vatican told us the world was flat and that the sun was the center of the universe.

The fact that Georgie Boy wants Intelligent Design in school shows how dumb George is.

Should we also teach the theory of the UFO Spaghetti Monster?
Quote:
Should we also teach the theory of the UFO Spaghetti Monster

The universe as we know it came to be from a Caused or Uncaused/cause event?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 07:51 am
@Brent cv,
We need answers to the unexplainable. We attribute issues we have no answers for to "God".

If God does exist then why would he not give the same "message" to all people about how to worship him. Why would he give us wrong answers - such as the Sun being the center of the universe. This leads me to believe that God does not exist and that God is a creation of man and that man is not a creation of God. God is a delusion created to give us meaning in life.

If God is a delusion then why further teach delusion in place of facts?

Had we accepted the word of "God" that the Sun was the center of the universe and that the Earth is flat would we today have satellites in geostationary orbit and plasma TVs in our homes?

Note: I was born into a Catholic family and understand the faith. When I grew up I realized that it just did not make sense. There is value in the morality of the religion but religion should stay out of the science class.
Gaius

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:21 pm
@Brent cv,
We should teach our children that evolution explains the formation of complicated life forms on this planet (which it does flawlessly) and that the creation account in Genesis is what it was- an allegorical and mythical attempt at explaining the Lords forging of a relationship with us. Its poetry and art, not science. The Bible is not a scientific textbook. It would have done the Lord no good to lecture a wandering desert tribe of 3000 years ago about the intircacies of evolution and allopatric speciation.
0 Replies

Gaius

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:26 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8472 wrote:
We need answers to the unexplainable. We attribute issues we have no answers for to "God".

If God does exist then why would he not give the same "message" to all people about how to worship him. Why would he give us wrong answers - such as the Sun being the center of the universe. This leads me to believe that God does not exist and that God is a creation of man and that man is not a creation of God. God is a delusion created to give us meaning in life.

If God is a delusion then why further teach delusion in place of facts?

Had we accepted the word of "God" that the Sun was the center of the universe and that the Earth is flat would we today have satellites in geostationary orbit and plasma TVs in our homes?

Note: I was born into a Catholic family and understand the faith. When I grew up I realized that it just did not make sense. There is value in the morality of the religion but religion should stay out of the science class.

That man was considered the center fo the universe in the Bible is based on a combination of wishfull thinking and bad interpretation. Besides, the Bible was spiritually inspired by God by way of revelation or the preponderance of queer divine dreams. It was written by man and as Ive said before is not to be taken as a scientific textbook. God doesnt care a bunch for science, cetainly not as He does for spiritual matters. Myth and allegory are works of art which are spiritually inspiring, very meaningfull to every culture exept ours where our science has made us exteremely unreasonable on the demands which we place on Gods proof and His ways of inspiration. We are becoming more and more debased everyday.
0 Replies

Ann cv

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 06:24 pm
@Brent cv,
There's a missing link between apes and man - even if we share some Genes it does not explain why some apes stayed apes, and others so called evolved into humans, none of that makes scientific sense.

A BALANCE - which sadly the world seems unable to gain for itself, would be that Creationism and Darwinism, along with many other 'theories' are taught side by side, as purely theoretical subjects allowing the pupil(s) to form their own opinions.

Ann
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 07:20 am
@Brent cv,
Pupils forming there own opinion's Why i never, LOL. Welcome Ann. I don't think the education system in this country will allow that.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 10:30 am
@Brent cv,
The Facts:
-The more we learn, the more we realize just how little we know.
-Most Religions explanation for creation was written at a time when science did not exist.
- Science has proven the earth is alot older then religion says it is.
- Dinosaurs did in fact exist, religions refuse to acknowledge them.
- There is more evidence (more being found every year) supporting the theory of evolution then any other theory yet proposed.

Intelligent design is a clever attempt by Christians to modify their creation theory, to better match undeniable scientific facts. As Science continues their research into evolution, I'm sure the theory will under go changes, but it will fundamentally remain the same. I'm afraid creationism will not be able to do the same.

Honestly,
How many God fearing christians believe the earth is only 6000 years old?
How many christians believe the Dinosaurs are made up?
How many christians believe that even though our DNA is 99.9% similar to some apes, we have no connection to them?
How many christians believe that the entire genetic make up of the human race, and all of its variations came from just two people (Adam and Eve)?
0 Replies

Ann cv

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 11:02 am
@Brent cv,
Well, this Christian thinks for herself, and doesn't go along with any of that:cool: apart from the fact there is scientific evidence that a missing link between apes and men is still that - Missing:p And I doubt we evolved from apes. A new theory suggests our DNA is linked to cosmic dust. And the theories roll on!

Hi Drnaline, well, they, our children, are not allowed to think for themselves here either :frown: It was a dream I guess, just hoping that one day we will get it right and allow our kids access to all information and encourage them to learn and consider it all before making a judgement. Then allow them to go their own way.

Ann
0 Replies