President Bush Says Schools Should Teach 'Intelligent Design' Alongside Evolution

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:55 am
Do you agree or disagree with this view?
Discuss Smile
I don't honestly. Religon has no place in school, the theory of evolution is scientific, Intelligent Design is not.
It is up to the parents to teach their kids about Religon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,408 • Replies: 79
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:11 pm
@Brent cv,
School is a place to learn. I've heard plenty about Islam and all the other religions in school, why not teach the ideas behind the most prevalent religion(s) in the U.S.?
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
@Brent cv,
^ Well I dont have a problem if you are going to include everything equally.

But as we know that never happens
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:20 pm
@Brent cv,
Of course not. But I'm tired of learning the fool out of some other religion and people ignoring ours like the plague.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:22 pm
@Brent cv,
I think all creationism theories should be taught equally. It's not fair to just teach from one side and not introduce the children to other sides as well. Not only should we teach evolutionism and creationism, but we should also teach the theories behind the big bang and the others if we teach this at all. This is a very touchy subject and I am an avid southern baptist, but if we're gonna teach one, we need to teach all of them, period.
NaterG

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:09 pm
@lowflyn,
lowflyn wrote:
I think all creationism theories should be taught equally. It's not fair to just teach from one side and not introduce the children to other sides as well. Not only should we teach evolutionism and creationism, but we should also teach the theories behind the big bang and the others if we teach this at all. This is a very touchy subject and I am an avid southern baptist, but if we're gonna teach one, we need to teach all of them, period.

I agree 100% with what is said here, I couldn't have said it better myself Brad.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:37 am
@Brent cv,
i have to agree with brent here, i dont believe Religion has much of a place in schools. i have no issue with religion classes but they must obviously be elective. but other then that what must be taught has to be solid theory or proven fact.
ndjs

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:52 pm
@Brent cv,
well I'm not believing in a random "big bang" that just happened to line something up just perfect a couple billion years ago and put me here right now.

Show me some rock hard proof then.

Until then, I just may decide it doesn't belong in schools.
0 Replies

lowflyn

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
@Brent cv,
I'm just saying that they cannot teach the evolutionism theory based on scientific proof and not teach creationism, big bang theory, etc etc. It's just the same as a school only teaching just the creationism theory and no others. Ppl would get all up in arms about that, but no, they can teach just evolutionism. That's just wrong, teach them all equally, or teach none, period.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:02 pm
@Brent cv,
Technically could you call anti-Intelligent Design proponents Neo-Darwinists? LOL.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
@Brent cv,
:rolleyes:
0 Replies

Neeto

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:14 am
@Brent cv,
Evolution is a theory. Until it's actually proven, it's a technically a theory just like everyone else's religious beliefs. The difference being that people who don't believe in a "god" can't stomach a god theory.
Surprise, surprise! People who believe in a god can't stomach a god-less theory. So as outlandish as creationism seems to some people (and possibly you reading this right now), it is likely just as ridiculous to someone else that everything happened by chance and without the hand of God the creator.

Evolutionism sounds like a religion to me personally. I say we need to stop teaching this THEORY as fact, since it ISN'T a proven fact.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:15 am
@Neeto,
Neeto wrote:
Evolution is a theory. Until it's actually proven, it's a technically a theory just like everyone else's religious beliefs. The difference being that people who don't believe in a "god" can't stomach a god theory.
Surprise, surprise! People who believe in a god can't stomach a god-less theory. So as outlandish as creationism seems to some people (and possibly you reading this right now), it is likely just as ridiculous to someone else that everything happened by chance and without the hand of God the creator.

Evolutionism sounds like a religion to me personally. I say we need to stop teaching this THEORY as fact, since it ISN'T a proven fact.

They do not teach Evolution as fact they teach it as a theory but support it with facts.

I honestly can't see Intelligent Design being backed by many facts...
Neeto

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:30 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
They do not teach Evolution as fact they teach it as a theory but support it with facts.

I honestly can't see Intelligent Design being backed by many facts...

Please. Maybe I was going to a different school than you, and maybe I talk to different people than you do...ok, both of these statements are true...but this was not the case at my school. Evolution was accepted as fact. Are any alternative theories even PRESENTED?
Brent cv

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
@Neeto,
Neeto wrote:
Please. Maybe I was going to a different school than you, and maybe I talk to different people than you do...ok, both of these statements are true...but this was not the case at my school. Evolution was accepted as fact. Are any alternative theories even PRESENTED?

In my Science class it was... I have a feeling it just depends on the teacher you get.

It was not taught as fact, although I had a excellent Astronomy teacher that did not push his views on anyone, just taught it like it was.

I am not saying it doesnt happen but from my experience it is not taught as fact and if it is then there is something wrong
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:59 pm
@Brent cv,
I am a Biology major, and well into Biology classes at probably the best school in the state. I have not heard one mention of anything other than evolution in any science class. Evolution here is taught as a fact.
0 Replies

oaktonarcher

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:26 pm
@Brent cv,
Well I never had either taught to me as fact, and that’s all I know. But evolution is pushed harder in our schools, but I live in a fairly liberal area
0 Replies

KyleUSAF

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 05:04 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Do you agree or disagree with this view?
Discuss Smile
I don't honestly. Religon has no place in school, the theory of evolution is scientific, Intelligent Design is not.
It is up to the parents to teach their kids about Religon

i donno about you guys but i see apes at the zoo, and i see humans. I don't see any in-betweens. If it takes a billion years for us to evolve from apes to humans, how could we be humans right now with such a huge gap of the apes not producing any offspring, then producing again for us to see the current apes in zoos today.

i guess we weren't debating evolution though. I think creation should definitely be presented in schools. Presenting one theory is rediculous. Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of the universe, as is whatever else they teach. It is not like they are teaching them the whole Bible or something.
Brent cv

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:38 pm
@KyleUSAF,
KyleUSAF wrote:
i donno about you guys but i see apes at the zoo, and i see humans. I don't see any in-betweens. If it takes a billion years for us to evolve from apes to humans, how could we be humans right now with such a huge gap of the apes not producing any offspring, then producing again for us to see the current apes in zoos today.

i guess we weren't debating evolution though. I think creation should definitely be presented in schools. Presenting one theory is rediculous. Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of the universe, as is whatever else they teach. It is not like they are teaching them the whole Bible or something.

I dont think we can from apes but to me believing that we came from a supernatural being is even more crazier....
0 Replies

KyleUSAF

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:21 am
@Brent cv,
even so, does that mean it shouldn't be taught because of how rediculous you think it is. I think evolution is rediculous. Do you still think it shouldn't be taught?