Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

hingehead

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 09:32 pm
@Builder,
I got the joke Builder, I was being ironic - I'm a little sick of the 'everything is fucked' idea. I'm rather fond of our indies too.

My great grandfather owned a blacksmith and farrier shop on the south coast of NSW. He went out of business when cars got popular. I demand compensation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:12 am
@hingehead,
Hi hinge

No I didn't watch it on Monday night but just read the transcript & watched the video link you posted.

So Channel 7 is muscling in on Andrew Bolt/Fox News/Murdoch territory now?
What a nasty, poxy little report that one was!

All I can say is thank heavens for the ABC. Our last bit if Oz media with some integrity intact.

Which makes me wonder when the next right wing attack on ABC "bias" will be. Can't be long off, surely?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 02:25 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Little Hodiaki said quietly, 'The Australian people, 2011 When Julia Gillard was elected.'

(I know you say you were joking, but...)
Nah, it was 1996 when you-know-who was elected, Builder.
And I think there's still quite a way to go, before we bounce back to vaguely where we were before those interminable Howard years.

Builder

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 03:45 am
@msolga,
Msolga, I shudder to think what things could be like under the mad monk, but I'm currently of the opinion that it really doesn't matter who, or what party is "in control". It's an oxymoron.

Like the protesters in OWS, it's becoming clearer to me by the day that politics is like our faux news; just a front for what is happening behind the scenes.

And I'm not a radical at all. Been trying not to think negative, but what I've been reading and seeing these last few months has chilled me to the bone. Starting to think about heading back into the wilds of the west Kimberley, and hoping the fallout from all this doesn't affect my lifestyle there.

Cowardice, I know, but I'm heading for retirement years. Could handle an AK-47, or an M-16. Pretty handy with an axe or machete too, but what I'm seeing is quite simply scaring me shitless.
msolga

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:14 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Msolga, I shudder to think what things could be like under the mad monk, but I'm currently of the opinion that it really doesn't matter who, or what party is "in control". It's an oxymoron.

I disagree with you, Builder.
I didn't vote Labor last time & I will most likely vote for the Greens again at the next election, but to say that there is no difference to the impact of Labor & the Liberals on this country is ... well, simply off the mark.
Things will definitely be much tougher for ordinary Australians under a Liberal government led by Abbott. Surely you can see that?

Quote:
Like the protesters in OWS, it's becoming clearer to me by the day that politics is like our faux news; just a front for what is happening behind the scene

Well yes, certainly.
I have followed the Wiklileaks reports closely for quite some time & I am fully supportive of the "occupy" movements all over the world. Including in my own city.
I am not alone in that, I'm certain, in understanding that global corporal interests are running the show right now.
BUT this is not the time to bury your head in in the sand, because it seems too hard, this is the time for ordinary people to make their voices heard.

And we can make our voices heard, if there are enough of us, on so many levels. It is so important that we do!

Hang in there, Builder!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:52 pm
This week's Clarke & Dawe. Smile :
(First link on the right)

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 12:08 am
Senator Ian MacDonald's reference to GetUp supporters being the 'Hitler Youth of the Green movement' is getting a bit of attention. Here's GetUp's response:
http://getup-production.s3.amazonaws.com/189-GetUp%20calls%20for%20apology%20for%20'Hitler%20Youth'%20comments.pdf

What I find interesting is that the undercurrent to what MacDonald is saying is 'Don't be in involved in the politics of your country and resist participatory democracy - it annoys me.' I can almost hear Joh Bjelke-Petersen saying 'Don't you worry about that.'
tenderfoot

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 11:42 pm
@hingehead,
My problem is the power of the few.. the handful of voters for independents and greens that are dictating the direction and altering the future of this country in a way that is contrary to the many millions that voted for ideas other than what the independents -greens thinks and wants.
hingehead

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 01:31 am
@tenderfoot,
With respect, that's bollocks.

If it was few they would be ignored.

The greens indies couldn't stop anything that the ALP and LNP wanted to push through. They can't start anything without the complete support of one of those parties - they don't dictate ****. They negotiate where they can for outcomes they desire. It's called politics.

The mere fact that the parliament is 'controlled' by a few independents highlights that the entire country is either divided (half ALP/half LNP) or that a substantial number are unimpressed by the choice of either the major parties.

Many millions didn't vote for Tony Abbott, many millions didn't vote for Julia Gillard - which many millions do you think we should ignore?

The thing that really pissed me off about McDonald's claim is the idea that GetUp is like a political party mobilising hordes of drones. GetUp is issues-based.

If they push an issue that few people care about or agree with - then it has no support. They have a huge mailing list (I'm on it) they post notice of an intended campaign or call for funding to get airtime for an ad that contradicts the ad the rich mining conglomerates fund (for example) .

If I don't agree I just delete the email. If I agree I sign a petition or send an email to my MP or donate funds. I'm not a party member and I have no obligation to support their position. Hitler ******* youth indeed. It's probably the only decent move we've made toward participatory democracy in the last couple of decades.

Look at the swings in the last election. The lib vote didn't change so much as labor votes switched to the greens. Think about what that means. Tony didn't almost win that election because swinging voters wanted him - he got that close because a large part of the electorate thought the ALP had reneged on promises it made that they thought the greens and indies would to keep.

Why is GetUp bad but the Convoy of whatever the **** it was good? Aren't they both people saying this is something we care enough about to actually do something?

I'm just glad our indies are thoughtful intelligent guys - but why wouldn't they be? After all the majority of their electorates voted for them and they didn't have the resources of a political party behind them.
msolga

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 02:18 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
“These comments are abhorrent and offensive and Tony Abbott as leader should clarify whether the Senator’s opinion reflects that of his Party, or demand Senator McDonald apologise to the hundreds of thousands of GetUp members across Australia who he insulted by comparing them with a movement of unparalleled hatred,” GetUp National Director Simon Sheikh said.

“GetUp members are active participants in our democracy and they are more than half a million people who don’t accept that leaving everything to our politicians to deal with is enough, a point proven by Senator McDonald today.”

Indeed. Does Abbott actually accept this sort of comment from within LNP ranks?
Or is it just another a case of anything goes/whatever it takes? Bugger the realities. Neutral
Whatever ... comments from the Liberal side of politics are getting nastier by the minute, say nothing of more & more stupid & far-fetched ....
It has been really heartening to see the number of Jewish GetUp members who have taken deep offense at these comments from Senator McDonald & have publicly stood up for their own participation in the organization as a positive force in Oz politics.
Good for them!

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:14 pm
@hingehead,
Dirty government dealings in Victoria.
Pretty incredible, after police received a higher than requested pay-rise but a few days ago .... not so other Victorian public servants, though. Police are different, apparently.
This is going to create quite a stir, I'm certain.
Can't trust these Liberal governments ... sneaky little buggers!

Quote:
Revealed: secret plan to cut nurse numbers
Michael Bachelard
November 6, 2011/Sunday AGE

THE Baillieu government has developed a secret plan to goad the state's nurses into industrial action so it can force them into arbitration, cut nurse numbers and replace them at hospital bedsides with low-skilled ''health assistants''.

....Negotiations for the new agreement began in September, and on Friday nurses voted to give themselves the ability to take legally protected industrial action from Thursday. ...

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/11/05/2754674/art-353-cabinet%27s-strategy-200x0.jpg

The secret government document outlines an aggressive approach to achieving its policy - by deliberately frustrating pay negotiations - prompting claims from the nurses' union secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick of ''duplicity''....

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/revealed-secret-plan-to-cut-nurse-numbers-20111105-1n1f9.html
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:30 pm
@msolga,
According to Insiders Bob Katter's 'Australia Party' - has a good chance of upsetting the LNP apple cart in both the state and federal elections (along the lines of the Joh for PM destruction of Howards 1987 campaign) but splitting conservative votes. Damn shame that.
msolga

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:31 pm
@hingehead,
It is, isn't it? Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
@hingehead,
Still, it's scary that he appeals to so many....just as Hanson's support was depressing in terms of how many people with those views we still have.

Better out than in I guess.

At least Katter is funny sometimes.
msolga

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:25 pm
@dlowan,
It is indeed scary, Deb ... but he has had more than a little help from Rupert's Oz media outlets ( it is not entirely as a result of his persuasive arguments. Wink ), say nothing of "political commentators" like Bolt ("Blot") & Alan Jones, etc ....
... our very own home-grown versions of the Tea Party!
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 12:08 am
@hingehead,
Quote --- The mere fact that the parliament is 'controlled' by a few independents highlights that the entire country is either divided (half ALP/half LNP) or that a substantial number are unimpressed by the choice of either the major parties. Unquote
Your above statement is all I'm getting at. Your following "bollocks" is only your particular " I can see it clearly " bollocks " is only your "political" beliefs.... I have none and democracy is a bloody joke, but it's all we got.

hingehead

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:49 am
@tenderfoot,
So you missed the first three paragraphs where I explained the greens and indies don't control anything? You read the Murdoch press don't you TF?

Let's not forget you were replying to my post about Senator McDonald's accusation that GetUp is the Hitler Youth. I was telling you why they aren't. Clearly you disagree. What state are you in? Tell me and I'll tell you what paper you read and what radio station you listen to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:51 am
The Australian government has suspended the Ausnet contract, because it says the process has been "compromised" by leaks & police have been called in to investigate.

It sounds very much like Sky News (Rupert Murdoch) was set to win the contract & become "the voice of Australia" overseas, replacing the ABC. What a thought! Shocked

What I'm intrigued about is Kevin Rudd's role in what's occurred to date. Can anyone enlighten me? Why was he replaced by Stephen Conroy?
I think I'll now have to read some News Ltd papers to discover more details about the leaks ....

Anyway, absolutely delighted (& hugely relieved!) that the ABC has survived & will continue with its fine work for the next six months .... hang in there, Auntie!

Quote:
Govt terminates Ausnet contract and police called in over leaks
Updated November 07, 2011 19:00:00/Radio interview/PM, ABC radio

After months of speculation about who will get the contract to be the voice of Australia overseas, the Communications Minister has announced the tender process has been terminated. The ABC currently holds the contract, but Sky News has been bidding strongly for it. News Corporation papers have published a series of leaks about the tender. Now the Communications Minister Stephen Conroy says the Government has received legal advice that leaks have compromised the process.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-07/govt-terminates-ausnet-contract-and-police-called/3650882

Quote:
Australia Network tender delayed
November 7, 2011 - 6:05PM/the AGE

THE ABC will keep hold of its overseas television network service into 2012, with the Gillard Government moving to cancel a leak-prone $223 million tender hotly contested by Sky News.

The government is poised tonight to cancel the Australia Network contract, effectively reserving the service for the national broadcaster until August 2012.

A formal announcement is expected shortly.

The Age understands Cabinet has resolved to make a final decision on who will run the service — the ABC, or Sky News — by the first quarter of 2012.

The ABC and pay television broadcaster Sky News, part owned by Rupert Murdoch, have been locked in a vigorous competition to run the international television service.

The decision — or lack thereof — has heightened sensitivities in the government's already strained relationship with Mr Murdoch's company, News Limited.

The Australia Network tender has been plagued by leaks, exposing a fault-line of internal tension between Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd and several of his Cabinet colleagues.

Mr Rudd — the original designated decision-maker for the tender — was sidelined by his colleagues in June.

The government resolved the final decision should be taken by Communications Minister Stephen Conroy, and the Cabinet.

The cancellation of the tender imposes yet another delay in the process, which is unlikely to be welcomed by the players.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-network-tender-delayed-20111107-1n3le.html
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:26 am
@msolga,
Ah.
Some background information from Crikey!, from July of this year. :

Quote:
......It is partly about a battle between Foreign Affairs Minister Kevin Rudd, who is once again cosying up to News Limited powerbrokers, and Minister for Communications Stephen Conroy, a street-fighter in the ABC’s corner. But as well, the battle over the 10-year, $223 million contract has framed a great deal of the debate over the role of the public broadcaster and pay television over the last five years. That is an important debate in itself, and the political shenanigans are stuffing it up.

Today’s Fairfax broadsheets carry a story clearly based on a leak out of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade — and insiders suspect Rudd himself — alleging the Gillard government has interfered in the tender process for the Australia Network because it didn’t like the probable result, which was to take the gig away from the ABC and give it to Sky News.

Rudd announced the contract would be up for competitive tender in November last year. That was no surprise; Sky News had been lobbying for a competitive process for years. A panel of public servants was meant to make a recommendation, that would be signed off on by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade chief Denis Richardson.

But late last month it was announced the decision would be made by Cabinet instead — meaning, effectively, Stephen Conroy. Strange enough.

Not that the idea of having the process decided within Conroy’s portfolio is in itself stupid. Historically, DFAT has shown little interest and less enthusiasm for Australia Network. And the funding for Radio Australia used to reside with the Communications portfolio, before being rolled into ABC recurrent funding. So why should TV be different?

Because now, someone in DFAT — perhaps Rudd himself — apparently cares. That’s new. ......

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/07/04/cabinet-in-the-dark-on-shambolic-australia-network-bidding/
Builder

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 07:36 am
@msolga,
Thanks MsOlga.

Canny reporting.

I've had a whiff of nooz that Kevin07 is trying to buy himself a seat on the UN council. Any clues there?

Just a whiff, mind you. ;-)