Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 07:30 pm
@dlowan,
This is sounding like very familiar territory, isn't it?
Any thoughts about whether you'd consider Weatherall a better chance than Rann?
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 10:31 pm
@msolga,
Um....well, he seriously betrayed a friend of mine, so I don't like him personally any more....used to think he was quite a sweet man in the days before he entered Parliament.

He's smart (as isRann, but Mike was always best as an apparatchik for Dunstan, I think). I also used to like Rann...his first wife was a friend...but have increasingly come to hate his government and Rann's public manner

I briefly had Weatherill as a minister and he was a nightmare, because he'd just taken over that portfolio and was full of ideas that he knew how to fixthingswithout having a clue what he was doing....I hear he improved, though.

I think he's the only real publicly accepted or known heir, and I think he is generally an ok person despite some factional ruthlessness

I have no idea how he'll go leading one of the most awful and ideologically compromised and clueless Labor governments I have seen

Theyre an embarrassment.

Governments always seem to get worse after the first rush though, don't they?

This mob generally hate the public sector which makes most of them bastards to work with, and are certainly ill served by the politicization of the top echelons of the various departments, a truly evil and destructive process that has been going on for some time under all parties and all governments.

The days of getting true but unpalatable opinions from departments are pretty well over, I think.

I hope hell inject a bit of something into a dying government.

All I know is the Libs usually ARE worse....though it's generally hard to believe that whenLabor is actually in!
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 12:50 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think he's the only real publicly accepted or known heir, and I think he is generally an ok person despite some factional ruthlessness

I have no idea how he'll go leading one of the most awful and ideologically compromised and clueless Labor governments I have seen

This "compromised & clueless" description is the first time I've heard such such things said about the SA Labor government.
I'd assumed it was a stable & competent state government & that voters were comfortable with them running the state.
Amazing, isn't it, just how little we know about the goings-on in the politics of other states?

Quote:
Governments always seem to get worse after the first rush though, don't they?

Yup.
At least that's what happened with Labor in Victoria.
Labor were so on the nose & out of touch with ordinary voters when they were voted out last year ...
...and now we are dealing the a newish Liberal government (pretty much an unknown quantity, policy-wise, prior to the election last year). And guess what? They are are not quite the squeaky clean, principled alternative that many Victorians expected. Election promises were broken almost immediately & some pretty unsavoury hidden agendas are now surfacing.
How does the saying go?: It doesn't matter which party you vote in, you still end up with the government. (or something along those lines.) Neutral Rolling Eyes

Quote:
This mob generally hate the public sector which makes most of them bastards to work with, and are certainly ill served by the politicization of the top echelons of the various departments, a truly evil and destructive process that has been going on for some time under all parties and all governments.

The days of getting true but unpalatable opinions from departments are pretty well over, I think.

That is truly depressing from a Labor government.
It's almost encouraging their traditional voters to desert them, isn't it?

Good luck!
I sincerely hope an injection of new blood at the top makes a real difference.
Seriously, the Liberal alternative is far worse.
But you don't need me to tell you that, do you?
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:01 am
@msolga,
Rather faster than expected, Deb?

Quote:
In a shock move, South Australian Premier Mike Rann has ended 48 hours of speculation on a leadership coup by announcing he will step down as the state Labor Party leader.

Mr Rann has agreed to step aside in favour of Education Minister Jay Weatherill, a former lawyer, who has held the Adelaide seat of Cheltenham since 2002.

The premier, who is in India on a seven-day trade mission, says he has told his colleagues he will hand over the leadership, but only after a smooth mentoring transition period.

"I have always believed it is for the parliamentary party to choose the leader," Mr Rann said in a statement on Sunday. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sa-premier-steps-down-20110731-1i63c.html
dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@msolga,
Good on him.

It's sad.....they almost never know when to go gracefully....it's usually a horrible process moving a leader.

I think the Rann government did a lot early, but have become creatures of spin (Rann began as a spin doctor), populism, lack of talent and vision. They certainly have tried hard on the economy.

I feel sad for Mike himself.

The business of government is tough and soul destroying.

This is an example of why and how.
msolga

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:25 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Good on him.

It's sad.....they almost never know when to go gracefully....it's usually a horrible process moving a leader.

Yes, this is so much better & saner than the unedifying spectacle of both leaders publicly lobbying for the top position.

It sounds like he knew he didn't have the party's support any longer & chose to depart gracefully.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 06:54 am
Peter Dutton on Q and A tonight blamed Obama for US debt. #qanda tweetstream quick to provide him a dummies guide
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/07/25/Blogs/ezra-klein/StandingArt/debt%20changes%20under%20bush%20obama.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/28/us/20110728_defaultqa_graphic/20110728_defaultqa_graphic-popup.jpg
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 03:12 pm
@hingehead,
Love that graph.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 03:31 am
@hingehead,
It was a pretty good Q&A, I thought.
Good panel & lots of interesting stuff discussed with plenty of vigour & vim.
That was the fairest hearing I've seen (former Victorian police commissioner) Christine Nixon receive in the media in recent days. She's right. The "Hun" has run a relentless campaign against her.
I love how ("shareholder activist") Stephen Mayne has all those Murdoch fact & figures at his fingertips & all times! Smile

If you missed i:
Scroll down till you come to it, dowward the bottom, on the far right.
Series 4 ... episode 25.
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/recent
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:05 am
Tough time for Oz newspapers.

I just had a door knock visit from a man selling "Age" subscriptions at an unbelievably cheap rate. $3 a week for 3 months.

That is rather remarkable compared to the Age subscription I'd kept up for years & years. Till I couldn't afford it any more.

I accepted the offer. Not because I needed a daily newspaper delivered to my home any more. And not because the offer was a bargain. I receive most of my news via the internet these days.

It was because I realized that such an offer meant that the local newspaper of my choice was in real trouble, financially. And if it went under there would be nothing but the Murdoch news (the Herald Sun) left.

Very, very worrying.
(And I didn't really want to spend any extra $$$ from my limited budget, anyway.)
tenderfoot

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:01 pm
@msolga,
Stopped having newspaper delivered once I was able to use puter.... years and years ago, I mean, why would you even bother to try and decipher the real truth from newspapers, when you have all the news and independent sources to double check, with videos to be able to actually see what is really happening in nearly every part of the world . The only paper I now get now is our local newspaper purely for local news. Eventually I think these will be the only one's left.
msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:56 pm
@tenderfoot,
Habit I guess, tenderfoot.
Also brand loyalty. I really appreciate my (not Murdoch) state newspaper of choice. I want to do my bit to make sure it survives these tough times.
The morning paper was delivered to my home for years & years & years.
And yes, as I said before, I've been accessing my news from various internet sources for quite a few years now, too.
But (especially at this bargain price!) why not enjoy reading lengthier analysis & commentary at my leisure?

As for our local (Leader) newspaper, it's already online, as well as being home delivered.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 05:45 pm
Hello?
Hello!
Anyone home?

This thread seems to have gone rather quiet. Though I sort of don't blame us. Neutral

I would have posted about the "Malaysia Solution". But I haven't the heart, or the stomach for it, right now. Sigh. A can of worms. I am rather disgusted with both major parties on this issue. Sighing again.

But here's something: some information of the Coalition's planned "savings" cuts, should they be successful at the next election.
At last! Some actual detail!

A nice change from the Libs going for the government's jugular, non-stop. Or just chanting "no big tax". Total negativity with no clear indication of what the Liberal alternative would actually be. I can't believe the media has let the Libs off so lightly. (well yes, I can, in the case of the Murdoch press ... but what about the rest?)

Details, what we want is the actual details of the coalition's funding policies!
Then we can have a proper discussion!

Quote:
Leak reveals Coalition cut targets
Michelle Grattan
August 13, 2011

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/12/2554829/hockey-200x0.jpg
Joe Hockey said he made 'no apologies' for the savings exercise. Photo: Jim Rice

ADVERTISING, travel, hospitality and consultancies will be among the areas of government spending targeted in the opposition's quest for $70 billion in savings, a leaked Coalition document indicates.

Shadow ministers have been asked to give the opposition ''razor gang'' details of these costs in their portfolio areas.

Also picked out for special mention in the questionnaire, reported by the Seven Network last night, are information communications technology; staff training; external accounting, auditing and legal services; and membership and grants paid to affiliated organisations. The questionnaire asked about the departments, agencies, staff and boards in the shadow minister's area, as well as office leases and the value of owned buildings. Shadow ministers have been told to produce details of ''recent waste and/or mismanagement in your portfolio'', and list all potential program cuts.

The leaking of its expenditure review documents, which showed $37 billion in promises from the last election, have embarrassed the opposition and given the government ammunition. Shadow treasurer Joe Hockey said he made ''no apologies'' for the savings exercise, while playing down the amount compared with total government spending. ''We are going through the budget line by line and item by item.''

The federal government would spend $1500 billion over the next four years. ''It's a massive amount of money. Therefore finding $50, $60 or $70 billion is about identifying waste and identifying areas where you do not need to proceed with programs.''

But Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the opposition's black hole was huge. She said $70 billion was ''the same as not paying out any Medicare money for four years … Or it's the same as not paying the age pensions or any other payment to senior Australians for two years''.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/leak-reveals-coalition-cut-targets-20110812-1ir16.html
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:05 pm
@msolga,
Kath Wilcox's (Sydney Morning Herald) analysis of the current political spectrum in the Liberal Party.
Apart from Malcolm things look pretty cosy! Wink :

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/08/11/2550332/562835239.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:47 pm
What exactly is the matter with some people?

Talk about hatred & opportunism getting in the way of one's sense of proportion!

Just think, hinge, this fellow could have been your state member! Shocked

Quote:
A Liberal National Party candidate has stepped aside as his party investigates an email in which he allegedly said he hopes Prime Minister Julia Gillard "follows the history" of assassinated US president John F Kennedy.

LNP state director Michael O'Dwyer on Friday evening confirmed the party's candidate for the state seat of Cairns, Paul Freebody, had voluntarily stepped aside while the party conducts an investigation into the email.

Mr Freebody denied writing the reference to president Kennedy, who was assassinated in 1963, and claimed the email - which has been circulating in far north Queensland - had been doctored.

An email obtained by AAP shows Mr Freebody also labelled Ms Gillard "evil".

"I see Gillard and Brown as the most evil people we have ever had in power in our country," the email states.

"We can only hope that she follows the history of JFK." .....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-12/lnp-hopeful-stands-aside-over-gillard-email/2837414
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:34 pm
Vaguely proud that on Penny and Sophie's announcement they are expecting a child that the only ruffles are from the usual loons (Fred Nile and Miranda Devine for example) and even the LibNats showed good grace.
hingehead

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:35 pm
@hingehead,
Except of course Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 03:53 am
@hingehead,
Penny Wong, you mean, hinge?
Oh my goodness! Surprised
hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:46 pm
@msolga,
Penny Wong: Australia's non-story of the week
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:40 pm
@hingehead,
Oh wow! Smile
Congratulations to Penny & her partner!
um ... this is going to make it rather hard for her to toe the (Labor) party line on same sex marriage, etc, isn't it?