Oz Election Thread #4 - Gillard's Labor

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:08 pm
Another AGE "exclusive" on the mining tax negotiations.
I'm on the run & haven't had the time to read the details anything like carefully ...
(I note there are 95 AGE readers' comments already, though! Must be a lot to discuss!)

So, feedback, anyone?

Is this a reasonable outcome, do you think?

And can we expect to know the election date this afternoon?:

Quote:
Gillard cuts mining tax deal
July 2, 2010 - 8:44AM/the AGE

* New tax will apply only to iron ore and coal
* Tax to be capped at 30 per cent
* Key promise of lifting super will be kept
* Plans to cut company taxes will be halved
* Budget still to return to surplus by 2013

Update Prime Minister Julia Gillard has slashed the mining tax rate and cut the types of resources affected in order to secure an agreement with mining companies - lopping $1.5 billion from expected revenues in the process.

The announcement indicates the new PM has taken just over a week to resolve a bitter two-month fight with major miners over the new tax, and removes a key obstacle to her calling an early election.

Initially introduced by former PM Kevin Rudd as the "Resources Super Profits Tax", the new tax sparked a public relations war with the mining industry and contributed to depleting his popularity, particularly in resource-rich Western Australia and Queensland.

"There will be no resources super profits tax," Prime Minister Julia Gillard said in announcing the new resources tax regime in Canberra.

Tax cut halved

Ms Gillard said the reforms would maintain Australia's attractiveness as an investment target and bolster the economy. Key promises of raising compulsory superannuation payments and bringing the budget back into surplus by 2013 will be kept - but plans to cut company taxes will be halved to pay for the concessions. ....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/business/gillard-cuts-mining-tax-deal-20100702-zr62.html?autostart=1
hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:46 pm
Sorry Olgs can't digest all this, but has anyone mentioned that pushing out of Rudd might have cost the lib party machine millions? They would have already geared up their advertising for imminent election with video grabs of Rudd promising this and that and now they have to change everything to attack the 'cleanskin'.

More power to the intentionally barren. And sack frigging Mark Habib - only appointed to pay off a debt to the NSW right, and he's useless as an abbott in the lodge.
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:49 pm
@hingehead,
HINGE!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Welcome back!!!

So pleased to see you!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:51 pm
@msolga,
HINGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 06:54 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Sorry Olgs can't digest all this

No <sigh> neither can I. Neutral

But I haven't the time to try properly at the moment. I may wait till the likes of Kenneth Davidson (the AGE) or other "trusted" commentators have a go.

Quote:
... but has anyone mentioned that pushing out of Rudd might have cost the lib party machine millions? They would have already geared up their advertising for imminent election with video grabs of Rudd promising this and that and now they have to change everything to attack the 'cleanskin'.

No they haven't.
Ha!

Quote:
... And sack frigging Mark Habib - only appointed to pay off a debt to the NSW right, and he's useless as an abbott in the lodge.

Tell us more, when you have a minute, hinge. I'd appreciate that.
You obviously know more about this beast than I do.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@msolga,
Hmmmm ...

OK, the picture is becoming a bit clearer now...

What do you folk think?

(Gotta run.):

Quote:
Gillard seals mining tax deal
By online political correspondent Emma Rodgers
Updated 9 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201007/r594104_3822263.jpg
Deal: Prime Minister Julia Gillard (AAP/ABC: Wolf Cocklin/Alan Porritt)

The Federal Government has agreed major concessions with the mining industry in a redesign of its controversial super profits tax.

The changes, announced by Prime Minister Julia Gillard this morning, include reducing the headline rate of the tax from 40 per cent to 30 per cent.

* Tax renamed the Minerals Resources Rent Tax
* Will only apply to iron ore and coal
* Iron ore and coal will now be subject to a new tax at a rate of 30pc instead of the original 40pc
* Tax will kick in at the government bond rate plus 7 per cent, which would be around 12 per cent
* Oil and coal seam gas to be rolled into the existing Petroleum Resources Rent Tax and taxed at 40pc
* Changes mean the Government loses $1.5 billion of expected revenue

"We've been stuck on this question as a nation for too long," Ms Gillard told a press conference in Canberra this morning.

"Today we're moving forward together... It's also essential we have a stable and a coherent Government and a positive basis for trust, and I believe we have established that this week."

Today's agreement, after intensive discussions with Rio Tinto, Xstrata and BHP Billiton in Canberra this week, ends a two-month brawl with the resources sector which contributed to Kevin Rudd's ousting as prime minister.

Ms Gillard was keen to distance the rebranded tax regime from the old resources super profits tax.

"There will be a Government profit-based tax regime, but there will be no resources super profit tax," she said.

"It will maintain Australia's standing as a competitive and attractive destination for investment."

Treasurer Wayne Swan was quick to heap praise on Ms Gillard for securing the deal.

"I think it's fair to say that her intervention changed the tone of this debate and has led to this breakthrough," he said. "It is a better tax for the consultation, it is a better tax for the negotiation."

The revamped tax will now only apply to a few hundred companies instead of the thousands that would have been liable under its predecessor.

Former BHP chair Don Argus will head a consultation panel with Resources Minister Martin Ferguson to hammer out the final details of the deal.

BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto have issued statements welcoming the new tax proposal, but they say there is still much work to be done on its design before it takes effect.

Minerals Council of Australia chief executive Mitch Hooke called a the deal "a positive outcome for Australia and the Australian minerals industry" but said there was still unfinished business" to be worked through.

The CFMEU mining union has applauded the deal, with national president Tony Maher calling it a "huge win" for the community.

The Government says the price of iron ore has increased by 400 per cent and black coal by 200 per cent since the beginning of the mining boom.

The exploration rebate has been scrapped, as has the measure that would have seen the Government share 40 per cent of the risk of projects.

Companies can also use the market value for their assets in assessing their taxable income, an area which was a key concern for the miners.

The tax was supposed to fund a 2 per cent cut in the company tax rate, but the changes now mean there will only be a 1 per cent cut.

However the boost in compulsory superannuation contribution from 9 to 12 per cent will remain.

The resolution of the stand-off with the big miners is likely to increase speculation that an election will be called soon.

The legislation for the tax still needs to go through Parliament but will not be introduced until after the election, and the tax is not due to start until 2012.

The Federal Opposition has vowed to block the tax but the deal with the industry is likely to put it under pressure to state whether it would repeal the tax if it came to office.

Deputy Opposition Leader Julie Bishop has accused the Government of a backflip.

"What was most disturbing about that press conference was seeing the co-authors of the original bad tax policy still spinning the same lines about getting the balance right and consulting further," she told ABC2 News Breakfast.

"This just adds to the uncertainty. Nothing has been achieved at all other than the Government's backflipped on a number of core issues."

Queensland mining magnate Clive Palmer was unmoved by the change to a 30 per cent tax rate and urged the opposition to stand firm in its opposition to the tax.

"These people just don't seem to learn, that's not how you grow the economy," he told Sky News. "A tax never created any jobs or provided an income for any family."

Greens Leader Bob Brown says the Government has made a "monumental backdown" which has served the interests of the big miners.

"In the future this is going to strip billions out of budgets, which would be going to the welfare of all Australians," he said.

Senator Brown says the Greens will scrutinise the legislation when it comes before Parliament.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/02/2942840.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:16 am
@msolga,
She's given up a fair whack of money.

I don't know....as I understand it she's known as a good negotiator...though I suppose there was a a lot of pressure on her to get an outcome so that she can go to election.

The big companies are still whingeing, so it might be a fair deal.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 02:17 am
@hingehead,
Hinge, you big galumphing hairy dog, you!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:40 am
G'day hinge.

Mining tax.
Looks to be less than what was desirable to me.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:42 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
Mining tax.
Looks to be less than what was desirable to me.

Yes, I agree, dp.
Quite a bit less.
You were very polite in the way you said that. Smile
jeeprs

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:52 am
@msolga,
"politics is the art of compromise". Better a small horse than a dead horse. You can always go out and find another horse to put with it. I reckon the performance of the ALP in the last 10 days must be putting the fear of God in to the Libs. "Hang on, better change the PM and sort this mess out".

Right. Done.

Next?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:58 am
@jeeprs,
Quote:
"politics is the art of compromise". Better a small horse than a dead horse.

You're in a very obliging, pragmatic frame of mind tonight, jeeprs! Wink

um ... there will be few consequences as a result this compromise, ya know.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:01 am
@msolga,
well I know. I guess I'm an optimist. But you have to be impressed by the ruthless efficiency of the labour party machine don't you? One of the columnists was comparing the way they dispatched Rudd with the way the Libs failed to persuade Johnnie to retire in 2006. This episode will be in political science textbooks in years to come.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:21 am
@jeeprs,
I think I'll wait for the rest of the fall-out before I decide how wise this compromise actually was, jeeprs. Like from a lot of the smaller mining companies & also small businesses stuck with higher superannuation payments, but with no concessions. Plus whatever else presents itself in the wash-up.
However, in the short-term, it's cleared the deck for a very quick election. Which is most certainly in Julia's best interests.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:25 am
@msolga,
yes I am commenting more on the whole picture of the Gillard ascendancy, not just the mining tax, which was the proximate cause. From my limited reading, the original form of the tax was much better from the viewpoint of the budget and the taxpayer, but a tax you don't get to collect on account of being defeated at the next election, is worth nothing whatever. The fact that a compromise has been reached will have a lot of commentators saying that it was a backdown, the big guys won, and so on, but from the viewpoint of Opposition strategy, it is a total loss.

Abbott has announced that he will fight this tax, and Hockey has pledged 'no new taxes'. So my guess is that they will be scrambling to come up with policies they can realistically fund, that have any electoral appeal. It will make it an incredibly hard campaign for them, if Rudd had stayed in power, it might have been a walkover for them.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:32 am
@jeeprs,
It does sound rather like the big mining companies have a deal that really suits them, but the majority (the smaller ones) haven't. By "fall-out" that's what I meant. But we'll see. I'm not familiar with all the details yet, either, jeeprs.

Yes, I see that Abbott says this election will be fought on taxation issues. Sounds pretty exciting, hey? Neutral
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:53 pm
Far be it from me to judge, but it seems to me that the 30% is a decent deal. Rudd's 40% was probably a shot across the bow to get the mining companies attention.
Smaller firms are exempt.
It seems to me that Labor will now call an election sooner rather than later to try to ride the wave of this. When might that be?
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Far be it from me to judge, but it seems to me that the 30% is a decent deal. Rudd's 40% was probably a shot across the bow to get the mining companies attention.

Oh I think Rudd (plus the caucus, including Julia G, Wayne Swan, etc ..) was deadly serious, RJB.
Many Labor reforms depended on the anticipated mining tax revenue. (The trouble was, it wasn't sold at all well to the Oz electorate by Rudd & Swan. And also, there was a humongous "scare campaign" run by the mining companies. Which severely undermined Labor's chances at the coming election.) Adjustments will now have to be made.

Quote:
Smaller firms are exempt.

The big companies have looked after their own interests in the very recent negations. Smaller companies have (apparently) copped a deal they may not be at all happy with. There has already been something of a backlash from the smaller companies. (which are by far the majority.) I'm not too clear on the details, but will check them out as they are made clearer.

Quote:
It seems to me that Labor will now call an election sooner rather than later to try to ride the wave of this. When might that be?

Absolutely. Labor's best chance is an election ASAP! (It was necessary to clear the "mining tax" issue before the campaign, to avoid any further undermining influence from the extremely powerful mining interests. Now that they have a deal, Labor will announce an election for the soonest possible date. There is much talk of late August. I'd be surprised it we didn't have the election date before the weekend is over.

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:25 pm
@msolga,
This is how Fairfax cartoonist (SMH/the AGE), Moir, saw the outcome of the talks between the Labor government & the big mining interests. Very funny, but also pretty accurate, I think.:

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/07/03/1672397/moir-_sat3july2010jpg-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:47 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
There has already been something of a backlash from the smaller companies. (which are by far the majority.) I'm not too clear on the details, but will check them out as they are made clearer.

Ah. Here we go, RJB. Haven't had the chance to read this carefully yet, though. The question is, how will much these concerns impact on the electorate & peoples' votes? (Me, I suspect people are becoming quite weary of the ongoing saga. And the details are pretty complicated. ) But I'm certain the Liberal Party will attempt to make as big a deal as possible from the situation. In any case, this newly-negotiated deal will not come into effect till 2012, I believe. Plus they will have to be approved by the senate. (The Greens have already expressed their disapproval.) So quite a ways to go before the details are finalized & actually become policy.:

Tax deal fails to win over small miners:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/03/2943908.htm