Cryptic message when starting computer

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 09:52 am
When I turn on my computer, and all the chirrings and churnings that go with dial-up are over, and my desktop appears all shiny and neat, I get the following message: "ccRegVfy cannot start because ccTrust.dll cannot be found." Then it tells me that uninstalling and reinstalling the program may be the answer.

But what program? Confused

This message only started to appear after I installed the latest Norton SystemWorks which includes Norton Password Manager. I did set up Password Manager during the installation process, and the word "Trust" in the message makes me wonder if there is a connection.

However: everything seems to be in order; all the Norton stuff appears to be working fine, and although I haven't used the Password Manager yet, it pops up when called for with no difficulty.

Of course, I may be misled by the word "Trust". Perhaps this doesn't refer to Password Manager at all. But how can I find out what it does refer to?

How can I get rid of this message which seems to be nothing but a nuisance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 820 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Monger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 10:08 am
Hi TK,

I believe cctrust.dll is related to Norton Internet Security and possibly Norton Antivirus as well, not Password Manager.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:13 pm
Cryptic message
Uh-oh!

But everything with Norton seems to be working properly.

Maybe I should contact Symantec. . .
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:24 pm
Cryptic message
I contacted Symantec, and from the response it appears that this is a known problem with NSW (although it never happened with earlier versions).

But contacting Symantec tech support! ohmigod!!! They make it as difficult as they can short of not providing it at all; I only stumbled on the correct location by sheer good luck.

It seems to me that every time I have to contact them it gets more complicated. What a nuisance! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

johnn1949

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:15 pm
symantec
re: sym help

I not the most computer literate but I have been able to solve lots of problems using there on line library support system. Just search for subjects , I was really surprized at how well it works. Trying to get a person to help is almost impossible..
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:38 pm
Crytic message
Well, I solved the problem the low-tech (chicken?) way - I removed SystemWorks 2004 and put back the 2003. Everything's going just fine, now.

The latest word from Symantec was rather off-putting because it involved messing with the Registry which is not something I'm at all inclined to try. Also, the instructions said that they were really for 2003, but most (query: which?) were appropriate for 2004. Lovely and fuzzy, thank you very much.

So new isn't always better, and I guess I can live without a password manager.
0 Replies