DEFENSELESSNESS = DANGER

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:57 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
Well, I would not trust your average 10 year old to be able to properly fire and handle the recoil
of any weapon in public, except maybe a .22 rifle while lying down.
My GOODNESS, u overestimate recoil.
5 years ago, after surgery I was too enfeebled to walk,
but I 'm 100% confident that I coud have easily fired off
all 9 rounds from my little .22 Taurus revolver; recoil is next to nothing.
.38 woud have been easy too.

Pangloss wrote:
I could just imagine kids walking around with .44 magnums
and sending bullets everywhere once they start squeezing the trigger
That addresses shot placement for the SECOND SHOT. The first shot is not affected by recoil.
Personally, I don 't recommend .44 magna for personal defense,
except from large animals. My own .44 revolver is loaded with
.44 special hollowpointed slugs, to put the brakes on
qua overpenetration, but what is important at any age
is to work out with it a lot so as to become well accustomed to it.

Pangloss wrote:
...no I think we're better off waiting for the cops to arrive than playing that scenario.
YEAH, that 's fine to wait for them
as long as u convince the bad guy to co-operate.

David
A Lyn Fei

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I 'm getting to like u, Lyn.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
yet they are expected (by you) to be able to shoot well?
Yes; thay can be and have been very accurate,
with practice; even trick shots. Annie Oakley was 8,
when she started shooting and became a trick shot.

Don't get me wrong, Annie Oakley is a very good person for a girl to look up to, and she was an amazing shot. This does not make every eight year old a good shot. She was quite famous for being above the average.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Some children develop more quickly, sure.
But the vast majority DON'T have the capacity to make moral,
justified, logical decisions on whom to vote for .
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I was politically active when I was a kid, joining in Republican campaigns, as conservative as I was able to find.
I felt abused, cheated and screwed out of my natural democratic right to vote.
When I argued with voters (all of whom were adults) I very ofen found
that thay were profoundly ignorant of the available candidates, of the issues and of applicable history.

I was also politically active as a kid. This does not mean I had a well rounded outlook of history and politics. And I have gotten into some excellent debates with people such as yourself, and some useless debates with the uninformed. Adults are not necessarily informed voters; this is true. However, they do have a minimum of education and life experience which one can only hope has given them the tools to make informed decisions should they wish to use them.

One thing I believe you are forgetting is that we DO NOT live in a Democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic. This is not a semantic issue, it is an issue of rights. The reason our Founding Fathers did not create a Democracy is because they did not want the rash reaction of the masses to determine our countries course of action. Likewise, they did not want decisions to be made quickly or in favor of one side more than the other. And every decision should have the option of being overturned.

Quote:
or when to shoot and when not to
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I 'm not sure that its best to entangle voting and shooting so closely together, for optimal results.
Anyway, it can be much easier to decide about defensive shooting,
e.g., robbery, burglary, kidnapping etc.
Defensive shooting is usually rendered within a very short distance, around 5 feet, point blank range.
For instance, think of when an elderly couple were jogging in the woods
and the husband was set upon by a cougar.
His wife was beating the cougar with a stick.
It woud have been better if thay 'd been armed with guns.
Perhaps true not to entangle voting with shooting because of the difference in the type of decision making each requires. However, children walking around with guns STILL presents an emotional problem. If I had a gun with me at the supermarket every time my parents decided I couldn't get a certain piece of candy, at the age of six, I might have threatened them with it. Sincerely. I loved candy. Now that I am full grown and not a selfish child, I don't eat candy, and I know it is morally wrong to threaten someone. That took biological development which you have admitted holds importance here.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
But I do have a question for you.
Have you read the second amendment?
Because, when I actually bothered to read the thing word for word
I was surprised at how interpretive it really is.
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The first time I read the 2nd Amendment, I was 9 years old.
While the teacher was teaching, I chanced to look in the back of the history book,
whereupon I found the Constitution of the United States.
I thawt: "THIS seems interesting."
It is short and I read it from the Preamble to the last amendment; (not in one sitting).

Yes, I have read it all as well. Not at nine, admittedly. I give you much respect for that.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Here it is word for word:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. "

To me this can say a number of things: one of which is that in order to protect the States rights outside
of the Federal Government, there should be State Militia, or Police, as we have. It does not say, in my interpretation,
that the INDIVIDUAL has the right to keep and bear arms.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
In the case of US v. VERDUGO (199O) 11O S.Ct. 1O56
(at P. 1O61) the US Supreme Court declares that:

"The Second Amendment protects
'the right of the people to keep
and bear arms'".

THE SUPREME COURT THEN PROCEEDS TO DEFINE "THE PEOPLE" AS BEING THE
SAME PEOPLE WHO CAN VOTE TO ELECT THE US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
EVERY SECOND YEAR. (Notably, one need not join the State Police
in order to vote for his congressman.) The Court further defined
"the people" to mean those people who have a right peaceably to
assemble [1st Amendment] and those who have the right to be free of
unreasonable searches and seizures [4th Amendment] in their persons
houses, papers and effects (personal rights, not rights of states,
as the authoritarian-collectivists allege of the 2nd Amendment).
THE COURT HELD THAT THE TERM "THE PEOPLE" MEANS THE SAME THING
EVERYWHERE THAT IT IS FOUND IN THE CONSTITUTION OF 1787, AND
EVERYWHERE THAT IT IS FOUND IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS.

In VERDUGO (supra), the Court indicated that the same people
are protected by the First, SECOND, Fourth, Ninth and Tenth Amendments;
i.e. THE PEOPLE who can speak n worship freely are THE PEOPLE who can keep and bear arms.
The Supreme Court re-affirmed this holding in D.C. v. HELLER 554 US 290; 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008)

In the 1700s, there were NO police anywhere in the USA,
nor were there any in England, until the following century.
Police were popularly viewed as an instrument of despotism.
Each citizen was expected to defend himself.
Indeed, in Colonial times, it was against the law to go to Church
in an unarmed condition. It was considered irresponsible or indecent.
Apparently, thay 'd been losing too many Christians on the way to Church.

Citing Supreme Court cases might well legally prove that "the people" means each citizen protected by the constitution. I will only say that Supreme Court decisions can be overturned and obviously this case you have cited did not give everyone their right to bear arms. Why do you believe that is?

A Lyn Fei wrote:
I'm sure to many, many people it does and it really doesn't matter because the point of my showing this
is that the law should fall somewhere in the middle.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Most respectfully, Lyn, I must dissent from that proposition, about falling in the middle.
Will u hire an accountant whose accuracy falls "somewhere in the middle" ?
Woud u use a surgeon whose known standards of cleanliness on-the-job are "somewhere in the middle"?
I don't think so.

Of course, you are right: I would never settle for a mediocre doctor. I would settle for a centrist politician, however. Mediocre and centrist are not the same thing. I believe you and I are good examples of two people sitting on opposites sides of an issue who are well informed of the history and data relating to the topic. If we suddenly received the right to carry weapons around with us everywhere, this would appease you. If suddenly everyone was only allowed a weapon in their home, this would appease me. I fail to see how either results in the maximum appeasement for the maximum amount of people. That would not be a fair and juste America.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
It is the same for business law and health care.
Why it is ever such a problem to reach compromises between left and right is mind boggling.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Well, one of the reasons can be whether government has relevant jurisdiction or not.
(I don 't choose to discuss health care.)
Absolutely a good idea not to muddle the debate with health care, though I'm absolutely sure I'd be interested in what your thoughts are on the matter. As far as business is concerned, I am a strong supporter of business. I am also a strong supporter of diversity and living well. This is not the place to get into a debate about governments role in business, either, I fear. Another thread, perhaps.

With much respect,
A Lyn
Pangloss

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I've fired handguns, and I don't think most children could handle one, if it's in a larger caliber. Make them legal for kids, and they'll all get daddy to go out and buy them a "big 'un". Yea, you're right that recoil doesn't affect the first shot, but when some little kid thinks a big bad "stranger" is coming after him and pulls the revolver, you think he's gonna stop with one?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:50 pm
Right, David, kids can readily control the gun, just like 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj, now deceased, did:
Quote:
With his father and a firearms instructor standing nearby, an 8-year-old Connecticut boy shot himself in the head with a submachine gun yesterday, killing himself in an accident some say should never have happened.

8-year-old shoots himself in the head at a Massachusetts gun show.Christopher Bizilj was testing a 9 mm Micro Uzi at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Mass., as part of the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo, when he shot himself Sunday.

"The firearm instructor prepped the weapon for him, and once it was ready he handed it to the child," Westfield Police Lt. Hipolito Nunez told ABCNews.com today. Christopher then pulled the trigger, and the gun's recoil pulled the barrel upward, causing a round to hit him on the right side of his head, according Nunez. He was pronounced dead a short time later at Baystate Medical Center in nearby Springfield.

Massachusetts law allows a child to fire a gun with parental consent, so long as there's an active permit for the gun and a licensed firearm instructor is supervising. It is unclear whether the gun had a permit or whether the instructor was licensed, but Nunez said Christopher's father was nearby
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:00 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:
Don't get me wrong, Annie Oakley is a very good person for a girl to look up to, and she was an amazing shot.
This does not make every eight year old a good shot.
She was quite famous for being above the average.
It is my earnest belief that all experienced gunners will advise that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.
That was the reason for her proficiency.
By co-incidence, the early history of both Annie Oakley and James Butler Hickok were similar in that in each case,
(at ages 8 and 9 respectively) their mothers put rifles into their hands and ordered them not to come back without lunch.

In time, simple shooting became boring. Thay both became trick shots.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Some children develop more quickly, sure.
But the vast majority DON'T have the capacity to make moral,
justified, logical decisions on whom to vote for .
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I was politically active when I was a kid, joining in Republican campaigns, as conservative as I was able to find.
I felt abused, cheated and screwed out of my natural democratic right to vote.
When I argued with voters (all of whom were adults) I very ofen found
that thay were profoundly ignorant of the available candidates, of the issues and of applicable history.
A Lyn Fei wrote:
I was also politically active as a kid. This does not mean I had a well rounded outlook of history and politics.
That is not a criterion for the franchise.
There r only 2 criteria, to wit: citizenship n age.
A well rounded outlook is not required.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
And I have gotten into some excellent debates with people such as yourself, and some useless debates with the uninformed. Adults are not necessarily informed voters; this is true. However, they do have a minimum of education and life experience which one can only hope has given them the tools to make informed decisions should they wish to use them.
If a tour bus from a nursing home for the mentally retarded drove them up the Board of Elections, with birth certificates in hand,
thay 'd become voters. There is no I.Q. test,
except that all people below age 18 are conclusively deemed too stupid to vote. I dissent from that.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
One thing I believe you are forgetting is that we DO NOT live in a Democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic.
That is precisely and absolutely right.
Incidentally, the democratic republic in which I live is NY.
In which State r u ?

A Lyn Fei wrote:
This is not a semantic issue, it is an issue of rights.
True.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
The reason our Founding Fathers did not create a Democracy is because they did not want the rash reaction of the masses to determine our countries course of action. Likewise, they did not want decisions to be made quickly or in favor of one side more than the other. And every decision should have the option of being overturned.
Thay sought to avoid emotion-based mob rule.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
or when to shoot and when not to
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I 'm not sure that its best to entangle voting and shooting so closely together, for optimal results.
Anyway, it can be much easier to decide about defensive shooting,
e.g., robbery, burglary, kidnapping etc.
Defensive shooting is usually rendered within a very short distance, around 5 feet, point blank range.
For instance, think of when an elderly couple were jogging in the woods
and the husband was set upon by a cougar.
His wife was beating the cougar with a stick.
It woud have been better if thay 'd been armed with guns.
A Lyn Fei wrote:
Perhaps true not to entangle voting with shooting because of the difference in the type of decision making each requires. However, children walking around with guns STILL presents an emotional problem.
Problem for the children ?
For whom ?

A Lyn Fei wrote:
If I had a gun with me at the supermarket every time my parents decided I couldn't get a certain piece of candy, at the age of six, I might have threatened them with it.
Woud thay have bought u one, if thay deemed your mind too chaotic for safety ?

I suspect that even at 6,
u knew that u shoud not go around murdering people.
(The threat implies the possibility of the deed.)

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Sincerely. I loved candy. Now that I am full grown and not a selfish child, I don't eat candy, and I know it is morally wrong to threaten someone. That took biological development which you have admitted holds importance here.
That 's a matter of EDUCATION.
I suggest that firearms etiquette and the safe and accurate handling thereof
be taught in the public schools, as early in life as possible.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
But I do have a question for you.
Have you read the second amendment?
Because, when I actually bothered to read the thing word for word
I was surprised at how interpretive it really is.
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The first time I read the 2nd Amendment, I was 9 years old.
While the teacher was teaching, I chanced to look in the back of the history book,
whereupon I found the Constitution of the United States.
I thawt: "THIS seems interesting."
It is short and I read it from the Preamble to the last amendment; (not in one sitting).

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Yes, I have read it all as well. Not at nine, admittedly. I give you much respect for that.
Thank u. It was interesting.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Here it is word for word:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. "

To me this can say a number of things: one of which is that in order to protect the States rights outside
of the Federal Government, there should be State Militia, or Police, as we have. It does not say, in my interpretation,
that the INDIVIDUAL has the right to keep and bear arms.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
In the case of US v. VERDUGO (199O) 11O S.Ct. 1O56
(at P. 1O61) the US Supreme Court declares that:

"The Second Amendment protects
'the right of the people to keep
and bear arms'".

THE SUPREME COURT THEN PROCEEDS TO DEFINE "THE PEOPLE" AS BEING THE
SAME PEOPLE WHO CAN VOTE TO ELECT THE US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
EVERY SECOND YEAR. (Notably, one need not join the State Police
in order to vote for his congressman.) The Court further defined
"the people" to mean those people who have a right peaceably to
assemble [1st Amendment] and those who have the right to be free of
unreasonable searches and seizures [4th Amendment] in their persons
houses, papers and effects (personal rights, not rights of states,
as the authoritarian-collectivists allege of the 2nd Amendment).
THE COURT HELD THAT THE TERM "THE PEOPLE" MEANS THE SAME THING
EVERYWHERE THAT IT IS FOUND IN THE CONSTITUTION OF 1787, AND
EVERYWHERE THAT IT IS FOUND IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS.

In VERDUGO (supra), the Court indicated that the same people
are protected by the First, SECOND, Fourth, Ninth and Tenth Amendments;
i.e. THE PEOPLE who can speak n worship freely are THE PEOPLE who can keep and bear arms.
The Supreme Court re-affirmed this holding in D.C. v. HELLER 554 US 290; 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008)

In the 1700s, there were NO police anywhere in the USA,
nor were there any in England, until the following century.
Police were popularly viewed as an instrument of despotism.
Each citizen was expected to defend himself.
Indeed, in Colonial times, it was against the law to go to Church
in an unarmed condition. It was considered irresponsible or indecent.
Apparently, thay 'd been losing too many Christians on the way to Church.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Citing Supreme Court cases might well legally prove that "the people" means each citizen protected by the constitution.
I will only say that Supreme Court decisions can be overturned
and obviously this case you have cited did not give everyone
their right to bear arms. Why do you believe that is?
Because the case before the Court was a 4th Amendment case
qua searches and seizures in MEXICO, not a self defense case here in America.

However, I will add that by identifying the people whose rights are protected by the 2nd Amendment it DID
interpret the Constitution thereby rendering a libertarian result qua personal defense
because the Court RELIED upon its definition of "the people" in rendering its decision, thereby establishing stare decisis.
In other words, I disagree with your assertion that it did not.

It shoud be noted that the ubiquitos cultural mindset was very
pro-gun liberty. The modern leftist anti-gun mentality was then unknown.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
I'm sure to many, many people it does and it really doesn't matter because the point of my showing this
is that the law should fall somewhere in the middle.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Most respectfully, Lyn, I must dissent from that proposition, about falling in the middle.
Will u hire an accountant whose accuracy falls "somewhere in the middle" ?
Woud u use a surgeon whose known standards of cleanliness on-the-job are "somewhere in the middle"?
I don't think so.
A Lyn Fei wrote:
Of course, you are right: I would never settle for a mediocre doctor. I would settle for a centrist politician, however.
Mediocre and centrist are not the same thing.
As a citizen, I demand of the judiciary a literal reading of our Constitutional liberties, with no compromise.

Suppose W had called me and told me to go to Church.
I 'd have pointed out that he had no jd to require that of me.

If W says: "C'mon, be REASONABLE about it!
I don 't say that u have to go every Sunday,
but at least once a month; show good faith by NEGOTIATING a compromise.
Be open to a CENTRISTIC position, David."

I don 't think so, Lyn.
I prefer to resist usurpations of power.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
I believe you and I are good examples of two people sitting on opposites sides of an issue who are well informed of the history and data relating to the topic. If we suddenly received the right to carry weapons around with us everywhere, this would appease you. If suddenly everyone was only allowed a weapon in their home, this would appease me. I fail to see how either results in the maximum appeasement for the maximum amount of people. That would not be a fair and juste America.
That is not the operative criterion.
As per John Locke, we begin from a state of Nature, pre-government.
When a government is created, that new government has exactly
the jd which was granted to it by the contracting parties
who brought it into existence. If it transgresses, exercising fake authority,
then it governs by USURPATION resulting from fraud and deception.

The Founders were very acutely conscious of the citizens' need to fight back against that.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
It is the same for business law and health care.
Why it is ever such a problem to reach compromises between left and right is mind boggling.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Well, one of the reasons can be whether government has relevant jurisdiction or not.
(I don 't choose to discuss health care.)
A Lyn Fei wrote:
Absolutely a good idea not to muddle the debate with health care, though I'm absolutely sure I'd be interested in what your thoughts are on the matter. As far as business is concerned, I am a strong supporter of business. I am also a strong supporter of diversity and living well.

With much respect,
A Lyn
Qua living well, I am the founder of a special interest group in NY Mensa, devoted to that.
It is called the Opulent Mensan Special Interest Group.
For the most part, it functions as a fine dining group in Manhattan for enjoying its best restaurants.
If u r in NY when we have one of our dinner meetings, u might be interested in attending.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@MontereyJack,
I remember when that happened.
It was simply a matter of his not bending his elbows.
That necessity shoud have been impressed upon him.
If the barrel of the SMG had been longer, then he 'd only have gotten a little bump on his forehead.

Tell me, Jack: how many children his age have drowned
in swimming pools or in the ocean ?

How ofen when that happened
did u feel impelled to post about it, implying that it shoud have been prevented ????

Jack, u show that your objection is not that he got killed.
YOUR complaint is that he got killed WITH A GUN, because of your anti-gun freedom emotions.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 04:51 pm
@Pangloss,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Pangloss wrote:
I've fired handguns, and I don't think most children could handle one,
if it's in a larger caliber. Make them legal for kids, and they'll all get daddy to go out and buy them a "big 'un".
Between ages 8 - 13 I was surrounded by many kids who
loved target shooting with their pistols n revolvers.
I woud not have done it; we woud not have done it, if we found it painful or unpleasant.

Pangloss wrote:
Yea, you're right that recoil doesn't affect the first shot,
but when some little kid thinks a big bad "stranger" is coming after him
and pulls the revolver, you think he's gonna stop with one?
I imagine that he will stop when the big bad stranger stops chasing him
and runs the other way, when his victim starts shooting at him.

Let us be cognizant that too many helpless children
have fallen victim to the depredations of man and beast; too many victims have PERISHED in the event.

I disapprove of that and I wish to enable them to effective ly defend their lives n property.

David
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 05:12 pm
I support the individual right to bear arms, for adults. Children need protection too, and that should be what parents are for. In most states, minors can, at least with their parents' permission, use long guns, but I don't see any reason why they should be out with handguns. If they are going to help defend the home from attack, they can do this with a shotgun just as well.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:32 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
I support the individual right to bear arms, for adults.
I imagine your Avatar woud AGREE with u.

Pangloss wrote:
Children need protection too, and that should be what parents are for.
U r telling us that children have NOT fallen victim to violent crime,
thay have NOT been violently killed, because their parents were there defending them.
Is that your position ?

I saw something horrible on TV (not fiction).
One of the worst things I 've heard of in my life; abhorent in the extreme:
a 7 year old boy went out riding his bike after dinner.
A pervert grabbed him and cut his throat; left him for dead,
after cutting off his sexual organ. The boy survived his wounds.

If it were within my power to change history,
I 'd prefer that the victim put a couple of .38 rounds into the pervert 's face.
(I think that woud slow him down.)

Correct me if I am rong; CORRECT ME, IF I AM RONG, but from reading your posts,
I infer that given a choice YOU'd prefer the scenario to lay out the way that it actually HAPPENED,
rather than MY preference. Right ???

In contrast, I choose the success of the VICTIM n the downfall of the predator.

Pangloss wrote:
In most states, minors can, at least with their parents' permission, use long guns,
but I don't see any reason why they should be out with handguns.
Its easy to spit on someone ELSE's right to exist, huh?

Pangloss wrote:
If they are going to help defend the home from attack, they can do this with a shotgun just as well.
Defending the home is OK, huh,
but defending his life or his wallet in the street, is no good ??

I don 't see it that way.

(People can 't carry shotguns all over the place; too big.
Talk about RECOIL; talk about SHOTGUNS. Break the kid's shoulder.)

David
A Lyn Fei

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You have convinced me on several points. Am I to conclude, however, that you are a lawyer?

Still, I do not believe gun rights should be given to persons of a certain age or ability. I DO believe that no government should usurp power, and therefore, see your point. I apologize for alluding to a specific personality flaw of mine which is to hope that everyone who votes is well educated, when you are correct in that this is not a requirement.
The emotional problem to which I was referring is the "gimme" attitude of a five year old. When I was young, I had very little sense of right and wrong and certainly no sense of mortality. I never had grandparents or experienced death as many children do, so perhaps I am an exception to the general norm.

But I really have an issue with one of your points. NO MATTER how safely you might try to teach gun etiquette, putting a loaded weapon into a school will result in death and harm. I do not believe that the overall outcome will outweigh the initial damage.

Also, I live in NY and am always looking for an excuse to dine finely.

As long as no one shoots me for my liberal beliefs. (Joke)

A Lyn
Pangloss

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

U r telling us that children have NOT fallen victim to violent crime,
thay have NOT been violently killed, because their parents were there defending them.
Is that your position ?

Of course not, no need to put words in my mouth. In an ideal situation, parents would look out for their kids, but this is not always reality.

Quote:
I saw something horrible on TV (not fiction).
One of the worst things I 've heard of in my life; abhorent in the extreme:
a 7 year old boy went out riding his bike after dinner.
A pervert grabbed him and cut his throat; left him for dead,
after cutting off his sexual organ. The boy survived his wounds.

If it were within my power to change history,
I 'd prefer that the victim put a couple of .38 rounds into the pervert 's face.
(I think that woud slow him down.)

Correct me if I am rong; CORRECT ME, IF I AM RONG, but from reading your posts,
I infer that given a choice YOU'd prefer the scenario to lay out the way that it actually HAPPENED,
rather than MY preference. Right ???

In contrast, I choose the success of the VICTIM n the downfall of the predator.

Uhh...wrong again. Why would I want a little boy to have his throat slit? I shouldn't even entertain your ASSumption with a response.

What makes you think that, had the boy been armed, he wouldn't have been assaulted? And then logically you are implying that we should arm all 7 year olds with .38 specials in order to prevent the rare sexual predator from attacking...yea that sounds like a really smart course of action. We'd be witnessing the making of "Kindergarten Cop" meets "Westside Story"...

Quote:
Its easy to spit on someone ELSE's right to exist, huh?

On the contrary, I'm very concerned with everybody's right to live. That's EXACTLY why I don't think we should have armed 7-year olds running around; they can't be trusted to drive a car or drink alcohol, so they sure as hell can't be trusted with guns. The number of incidental deaths caused by gun-toting kindergartners would far outnumber any lives saved by kids properly using a gun to defend themselves from an attack.

Quote:
Defending the home is OK, huh,
but defending his life or his wallet in the street, is no good ??

I'm fine with ADULTS carrying weapons in public, but children, no way. For the same reasons they can't drive a car at that age. Frankly, I can't believe we're even arguing about this, and that there actually are people like you out there who think every child should be carrying a concealed handgun...it's insane.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:04 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:
You have convinced me on several points.
Which points ?

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Am I to conclude, however, that you are a lawyer?
Yes; a retired trial attorney.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Still, I do not believe gun rights should be given to persons of a certain age or ability.
With all respece, u have all turned around backward.
Upon the basis of known American history, I assert that jurisdiction
to interfere with civilian possession of guns was never given to government,
and indeed, that jurisdiction was explicitly denied to government in the 2nd and 9th Amendments,
reaffirmed by the 14th Amendment, such that the same as regardless of age or ability
government has NO jd to make u go to Church if u don 't wanna,
so also it has no jd to make u divest yourself of newspapers nor guns.

Those were put beyond the reach of government,
because the Founders wanted us to have a free country.
Thay also knew that we might well have to overthrow government AGAIN, and thay were not shy about saying so.
I can and will offer proof upon demand.

A Lyn Fei wrote:

I DO believe that no government should usurp power,
and therefore, see your point. I apologize for alluding to a specific personality flaw of mine
which is to hope that everyone who votes is well educated,
when you are correct in that this is not a requirement.

The emotional problem to which I was referring is the "gimme"
attitude of a five year old. When I was young, I had very little
sense of right and wrong and certainly no sense of mortality.
I never had grandparents or experienced death as many children do,
so perhaps I am an exception to the general norm.

But I really have an issue with one of your points. NO MATTER how safely you might try to teach gun etiquette,
putting a loaded weapon into a school will result in death and harm.
By way of disproving that proposition, I offer that I took a gun to school 1000s of times, with no death nor harm.
Many schools have had rifle teams, since this was promoted
around the time of the First World War when Congress created
the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice,
which propagated rifle practice, for obvious reasons.
I attended some of those schools. I never heard of any death
nor harm having resulted from those guns, nor from mine.

A Lyn Fei wrote:
I do not believe that the overall outcome will outweigh the initial damage.
WHAT initial damage ?
Concerning the mass shootings in schools,
I attribute them more to knowledge that the intended victims
were unarmed, in compliance with anti-gun laws,
making them attractive targets: "come and get me; I 'm helpless."

A Lyn Fei wrote:
Also, I live in NY and am always looking for an excuse to dine finely.

As long as no one shoots me for my liberal beliefs. (Joke)

A Lyn
This is an ad that I 've published in A2K a few times. PhilForum members are welcome.
I 'll add your name to the list, if u like, but lemme know beforehand so that I can give the restaurant an accurate count:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
On Wednesday, October 6th, 2010
there will be a small dinner of the
Opulent Mensan Special Interest Group of New York Mensa.

Delight in the warm beauty and historical interest
of ONE IF BY LAND, TWO IF BY SEA at 17 Barrow St.,
a few feet east of 7th Avenue in lower Manhattan.

Its succulent Beef Wellington (baked to your taste) is hedonicly superb, altho
there is peril of addiction to the rapturous, sybaritic contentment thereby engendered.
Their menu offerings have been exceptionally savory & deeply satisfying, but
u may attain sprain of the brain from the pain of choosing
from among the multiply alluring menu offerings that woud seduce u
from the TRUE PATH that leads to the Beef Wellington; yield not your culinary virtue!

This restaurant was previously owned by Vice President Aaron Burr,
before he slew America's first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton on July 12, 1804.

Check the menu (note scroll bar, on the right)
on the designated link hereinafter set forth,
and those denizens of A2k who r interested, lemme know
so that I can give the restaurant an accurate count:

http://www.oneifbyland.com/menu9.html

No smoking; cash is preferred over credit cards; minimum 20% tip

David

0 Replies