Troubles with brownouts re: internet connection

Monger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 01:26 pm
Very Happy Just one thing to keep in mind though, Miss bunny, UPSes are designed to give you a fairly short amount of time to properly save your projects & shut down your 'puter or network. They're not a power backup plan or nuthin'.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
A UPS, or Uninteruptible Power Supply, capable of carrying any imagineable home computer rig through a voltage drop, or "brownout", is all but indispensible ... and most affort much better surge protection than the common surge-protector/power strps most folks use. $50-$100 will get you one that'll more than do the job in most applications. It'll also give you plenty of time to do an orderly shutdown in the event of total power failure. Keep any external modem or broadband connection device hooked up to the backup too, and you'll be pretty well covered. All of my 'puter stuff is connected to power via UPSs, and all my AV gear is connected through voltage regulator/conditioners, which in turn are connected to UPSs. Lightning strikes here are common, as are "brownouts", and outright power failures also happen from time to time; we have an automatic whole-house backup generator, but it takes around 45-60 seconds for it to kick in and switch over. The UPSs easily handle the transfer period (though the main AV rig stresses hell out of its UPS if the system is really crankin' when the power goes down Laughing )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
You're in a fortress, Timber!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:42 pm
Yep, Monger - I read that. Thankee.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:04 pm
A castle, bunny ... Castle Timber :wink:

We're half an hour or so from the nearest town in good weather. There are times around here when all you have is what you've made sure you're gonna have. The well, the basement sump pump, the septic system pump, and the circulating pump for the hot water heat all run on electricity. Kerosene lamps and the fireplaces won't pump water. Apart from all that, I'm pretty much "into" electronics of all sorts, so I take special precautions to protect 'em.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 05:11 pm
gadgets and mins - go together like toast and butter....
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 03:06 am
As usual ARS has a great write-up on power protection. It might be worth reading for some.

ArsTechnica article on UPS
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 03:12 am
jpowell, that was helpful. Thanks. Conicidetantally, 2 comps ago, we had a motherboard failure, and our last comp, the monitor blew. Laughing
0 Replies