A Failure To Convince Me That Any Gods Exist

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
To say that you don´t believe that any God exist could imply in the belief on non belief a failure to know for sure, or, to where I stand, being close to say that you believe that any God don´t exist...which seams to fit given the development you brought in the Thread ! Of course you can deny it, but hardly you can convince me...
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

As for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you can't demonstrate any impact that the belief in this entity has had on the formation of Western civilization, which has been profoundly impacted by belief in Gog. In fact, aside from whether you believe God exists, it is an empirical fact that belief in God has had enormous formative impact on Western civilization. So trivializing it in this manner simply demonstrates ignorance of the issues.

ipse dixit

A god is real because the belief in a god effected western civilization. Western civilization is real and has an impact on you, therefore god must be real.

You've made an excellent case that the belief in god is real, not the god.

A
R
T

Krumple

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

As for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you can't demonstrate any impact that the belief in this entity has had on the formation of Western civilization, which has been profoundly impacted by belief in Gog. In fact, aside from whether you believe God exists, it is an empirical fact that belief in God has had enormous formative impact on Western civilization. So trivializing it in this manner simply demonstrates ignorance of the issues.

Oh so it's only about impact then? So I guess we should start believing that aliens are visiting earth and abducting people. This has had a huge impact on western civilization, so it must be true.

Just because people are led by ignorance on a huge scale does not give it credibly.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

ipse dixit

A god is real because the belief in a god effected western civilization. Western civilization is real and has an impact on you, therefore god must be real.

A
R
T

Concerning the Truth on God or anything else hardly could it be proved...
So I honestly don´t believe that you were looking for proof or certainty on this matter !
To believe or to believe that not, you of course in good will, would have to look for a desirable model to fit the role...either to take or to criticize !
From what I could read on your so far well articulated speech you negatively comment the classical models, I agree with what mainly was said, it makes sense to some extent, but why should we not open the expression, the term God, to a more enlarged approach given the magnitude it is supposed to circumscribe ?
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Concerning the Truth on God or anything else hardly could it be proved.

Lots of things can't be proven. A large portion of those things can't be proven because they are false.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

So I honestly don´t believe that you were looking for proof or certainty on this matter !

Proof on what? Certainty on what?

There is plenty of proof for a natural universe. Certainly enough that I can converge on certainty.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

To believe or to believe that not, you of course in good will, would have to look for a desirable model to fit the role...either to take or to criticize!

I have no necessity to criticize.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

From what I could read on your so far well articulated speech you negatively comment the classical models, I agree with what mainly was said, it makes sense to some extent, but why should we not open the expression, the term God, to a more enlarged approach given the magnitude it is supposed to circumscribe ?

Why not? Because there is no need to. I can tell that you open your definition up such that you believe in a god. I believe you do so because you want a god to be real. If I defined the Flying Spaghetti Monster as the air we breathe, would the FSM be real? By my definition, sure. However, such definition is tailored specifically to product, and not actually to test the idea of the FSM.

I'm glad you've found a way to incorporate the belief in a god, if it makes you comfortable. I simply do not require this kind of comfort, so I have no need to force the belief in an unnecessary being.

A
R
T
jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
So I guess we should start believing that aliens are visiting earth and abducting people. This has had a huge impact on western civilization, so it must be true.

Really? Has it? On my planet it has hardly made any impact at all, outside television shows and glossy magazines. Your planet sounds much more interesting.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:23 pm
@failures art,
Quote:

Indeed but from a pragmatic viewpoint, it is very important nevertheless. It is a fact that the vast majority of people have some kind of belief in a 'higher being' whether they are institutionally religious or not. The fact that they believe it is empirically demonstrable, and the consequences of the belief are also significant, regardless of whether you think the belief has any corresponding reality.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:32 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Why not? Because there is no need to. I can tell that you open your definition up such that you believe in a god. I believe you do so because you want a god to be real. If I defined the Flying Spaghetti Monster as the air we breathe, would the FSM be real? By my definition, sure. However, such definition is tailored specifically to product, and not actually to test the idea of the FSM.

I'm glad you've found a way to incorporate the belief in a god, if it makes you comfortable. I simply do not require this kind of comfort, so I have no need to force the belief in an unnecessary being.

A
R
T

I will address just the last of your reply once it brings what is essential in our dispute to the spot light.
I don´t believe in a God just because it makes me feel comfortable, or happy, or whatever you might think natural to such belief...and that is simply due to my view of GOD hardly having anything to do with comfort or other childish self indulgent behaviour to sleep better at night living the teletubbies fabula ...
I have an intuitive recursive sense of Unity out of everything I see around me, this impression of, a hard bound in the patterns of information that compose my perception of Reality, a sense of self fundament, self justification, almost abstract, and certainly not restrained by concepts, or human, morally based, biased perspectives...GOD to me, is the entire length of the Information string that cannot be reproduced or explained if not by itself own "Beingness"(lets put it this way)...God on this light, is the eternal motion machine without can be end or true beginning, and far beyond Big-Bang or Big-Crunch chronology and symmetry...One that turns the "imperfection" of masses forces and energy´s lack of equilibrium into the perfect justification of diversity...the engine of Becoming !
Why should n´t I believe in such a God ?
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:48 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:

Indeed but from a pragmatic viewpoint, it is very important nevertheless.

Important, but perhaps not in the way you mean it. A child who fears a monster under its bed experiences real fear, even if the fear is based on something that is not real (the monster).

We are not so impaired that we cannot address real fears and beliefs about unreal things.

jeeprs wrote:

It is a fact that the vast majority of people have some kind of belief in a 'higher being' whether they are institutionally religious or not.

Argumentum ad populum

Do I really need to explain the logical fallacy here? It doesn't matter how many people believe it, and the fact that some many not be institutionally religious is immaterial. I've never claimed that a person need be religious to be convinced a god exists.

jeeprs wrote:

The fact that they believe it is empirically demonstrable, and the consequences of the belief are also significant, regardless of whether you think the belief has any corresponding reality.

Sure, the consequences are significant. Hundreds of burnt witches can't all be innocent right?

A
R
T
jeeprs

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:54 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Sure, the consequences are significant. Hundreds of burnt witches can't all be innocent right?

That's curious, I had read somewhere that institutional religion had done things other than burn witches, but if you know better....

Anyway, one of the differences I have with atheists is that they fail to recognize the normative value of the judeo-christian ethos in the formation of Western society, usually due to their own anti-religious prejudices. I know that such prejudices have a strong historical justification, due to the appalling way that the Christian institutions have behaved at various times, but that is not the whole story either.
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I don´t believe in a God just because it makes me feel comfortable, or happy, or whatever you might think natural to such belief.

Then I'll restate. The feeling of unity I have with nature does not come with a requisite belief in any gods. So, for whatever reason, you feel the need to believe in a god to achieve "unity," I do not require the augmentation.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I have an intuitive recursive sense of Unity out of everything I see around me, this impression of, a hard bound in the patterns of information that compose my perception of Reality, a sense of self fundament, self justification, almost abstract, and certainly not restrained by concepts, or human, morally based, biased perspectives.

I can't begin to reply to this. I literally cannot understand what you wrote here.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

GOD to me, is the entire length of the Information string that cannot be reproduced or explained if not by itself own "Beingness"(lets put it this way).
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You've now defined a god. How is this convincing that it exists? You've defined god in lots of other undefined terms.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

God on this light, is the eternal motion machine without can be end or true beginning, and far beyond Big-Bang or Big-Crunch chronology and symmetry.

Comparing a god to an eternal motion machine in trying to convince a person that it is real is a bit ironic.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

One that turns the "imperfection" of masses forces and energy´s lack of equilibrium into the perfect justification of diversity...the engine of Becoming !

What is imperfect about mass?
What of energy is out of equilibrium?

These are two huge claims.
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Why should n´t I believe in such a God ?

By all means, believe. It doesn't harm me. Go nuts. It simply isn't a cogent argument for me to believe.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:08 pm
Jeepers I would be more concerned with the actual growing of irrational magical thinking coming out today of some of this religious community´s spreading deep in America suburban rural areas population...on the other hand we can always point out good stuff...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
Not the mass or energy themselves out of equilibrium...the dynamics of gravity on matter that is not perfectly distributed...as you well know since matter antimatter initial conflict and after that, before even stars were born in the distribution of dust clouds around the primitive Cosmos...Could n´t you figure out the sort of poetic tone ??? nevermind...I wrongly guess you would figure how to navigate those words since I am not that ignorant although I gladly admit that I still have allot to learn...I was directing my attention into the dynamic, just that ! Sssss ... Rolling Eyes

PS - Oh let me ad that God is not an augmentation to Unity, not what I meant and you did get it wrong again, (amazing lack of intuitive thinking Jesus !) God to me is Unity itself ! ONE !!! (more like a number)
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:37 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:

That's curious, I had read somewhere that institutional religion had done things other than burn witches, but if you know better....

Anyway, one of the differences I have with atheists is that they fail to recognize the normative value of the judeo-christian ethos in the formation of Western society, usually due to their own anti-religious prejudices. I know that such prejudices have a strong historical justification, due to the appalling way that the Christian institutions have behaved at various times, but that is not the whole story either.

This was visited earlier in this thread by Finn. The idea that atheism is reactionary--specifically that atheists are in rebellion to modern religion as opposed to founded on a naturalist foundation is nothing new. This accusation fails in a number of ways.

1) Atheism is older than ANY religion, let alone Judaism and Christianity.
2) The formation of western civilization may have rested in the normative values of the judeo-christian ethos, but what is normative to the judeo-christian values is based on previous cultures and civilizations. E.g. - The Jews didn't invent "thou shalt not kill." When (read: if) Moses spoke these words, the appropriate response should have been, "no ****."

A
R
The atheist apostate meme is a non-starter.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
...in numbers you can diversify as much as you want but in the end all still comes down to one number, ONE !
That´s the Metaphor once there cannot be prove but just concept. I am not afraid of using metaphor and figures of speech, neither I am that naive that I think that I can bring hard evidence or some sort of proof for whatever issue is up for debate... that is more like your department and type of approach !
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
God to me is Unity itself ! ONE !!! (more like a number)

Interesting argument. So, I can't believe in unity without believing in a god then? If I already believe in unity, what does god add to that belief?

How is that not augmentation?

A
R
T
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:43 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

jeeprs wrote:

Quote:

This was visited earlier in this thread by Finn. The idea that atheism is reactionary--specifically that atheists are in rebellion to modern religion as opposed to founded on a naturalist foundation is nothing new. This accusation fails in a number of ways.

1) Atheism is older than ANY religion, let alone Judaism and Christianity.
2) The formation of western civilization may have rested in the normative values of the judeo-christian ethos, but what is normative to the judeo-christian values is based on previous cultures and civilizations. E.g. - The Jews didn't invent "thou shalt not kill." When (read: if) Moses spoke these words, the appropriate response should have been, "no ****."

A
R
The atheist apostate meme is a non-starter.

I don´t think that you are necessarily wrong where, but neither do I think that you are right...actually we can go both ways and still be on the money...the world is large enough and there are all kinds of people and beliefs !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:47 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
God to me is Unity itself ! ONE !!! (more like a number)

Interesting argument. So, I can't believe in unity without believing in a god then? If I already believe in unity, what does god add to that belief?

How is that not augmentation?

A
R
T

There we go...My notion does not ad an atom to the natural world expression, as phenomena...I merely recognize its unified property as a set, as Wholeness, and pack it in ONE nature. That alone is God !
failures art

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Why is this "unified property set" a god and not a unicorn?

A
R
T
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Why is this "unified property set" a god and not a unicorn?

A
R
T

I can give you a fair enough good reason, if you are willing to lesson...
The primitive base idea on GOD is Unity and Wholeness...that who embraces all...as for Unicorns, well lets just say that they don´t have so much wing lift...

What is it that is Everywhere ?
What is it that is Everything ?
What is it that knows all ?
The Universe, Being, or God, are 3 levels of answer that address, to my view, the same nature ...
0 Replies