Justice not like it was?

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:34 am
Hello everyone.

Is the UK Justice Sytem getting too soft? More and more criminals are getting their sentence reduced or some don't sentences at all! Why is this?

Would like to read your thoughts on this one.

Thank You All
Rhys
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
@The Joker006,
Rhys Arnold wrote:

Is the UK Justice Sytem getting too soft? More and more criminals are getting their sentence reduced or some don't sentences at all! Why is this?

I do believe that sentences, sentence reductions, and verdicts of not guilty are regulated by laws and the Sentencing Guidelines; prosecuting or not prosecuting is regulated in the Code for Crown Prosecutors.

Besides that, there is no UK Justice System at all: English law is the legal system of England and Wales while Scotland has the different Scots law.
The justice system of England/Wales and Scotland is quite different as well.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:15 am
Hi Rhys,
Please tell me you were not that naive as to take Jordan up on his proposition?
An early 70s criminal psychology report revealed this - If the sentence for medium to low crimes were to be raised to the level of or above that of serious crime it would increase serious crime rates exponentially. Because - the severity of the penalty would make lesser criminals employ the use of more aggressive tactics and utilise deadly weapons, in order to avoid capture.
Your stance on Zero tolerance has both beneficial pros and detrimental cons. There would be less, but more serious crime as a result.
IMO. All criminals, duly proven, should be exiled to the Antarctic Peninsula.
Have a brilliant day my friend.
Mark...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:25 am
mark noble wrote:
beneficial pros and detrimental cons.

I'd like to know about beneficial cons and detrimental pros..
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
@Francis,
Hi Francis,
Nice to meet you.
The sentence following the "pros and cons" one, shows this - "Less, but more serious crime".
Have a great day.
Mark...
The Joker006

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:05 pm
@mark noble,
Good day Mark,

Would you agree with bringing back the "Death Sentence"? Or would much prefer criminals to mince about behind bars who waste our Oxygen?

Much appreciated
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:09 pm
@Francis,
Smile
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:38 pm
@The Joker006,
No! Exile to the Antarctic peninsula is suffice.
Mark...
0 Replies

gibbs97

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 06:09 am
@The Joker006,
I believe that the justice system has got to soft. There are too many crimes in the UK and as a result encouraging more people to commit crimes like theft as they are not being punished severely and therefore not having a deterrent for the youth these days.
I think the death penalty should be brought back as it will make criminals think twice before committing another offence.
I understand that it’s not moral to kill someone for theft but I believe people should be executed from breaking the law from the severity of murder and up. But I believe on the other hand the people who commit less serious offences should have a harsher sentence to encourage deterrents. This can result in a gradual fall in crimes committed in areas.
Ever since the death sentence in the UK has been obliterated the severity of crimes and the number of serious crimes like murder has increased. The demolition of the death penalty in 1964 was the last hanging in the UK but since then the murder rate has doubled at present day this means more criminals that committed murder are still in prison being catered for instead of them dyeing.
We know it is against religion to kill for example in the religion of Christianity one of the 10 commandments is ‘thou shall not kill’ and in the human rights act it state that nobody has the right to take another’s life but my reasoning for this is that is someone kills another then there right should be revoked and should be killed as their punishment.
0 Replies