Why Not Nudity?

HexHammer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
@Aquathunda,
It usually is due to religion, else many "heathen" religions worship the nakedness and naturalistic style.
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:37 am
@Dosed,
It's overrated, in my experience.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:49 am
One word: aesthetics!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
@HexHammer,
I know it's a clichée, but the thing that arouses me the most about an attractive woman is her face, especially her eyes. On the other hand, I come from Germany, where saunas tend to be co-ed with a no-clothes dress code. As a result, breasts and genitals excite me much less than faces. So if I got to write the laws for American beaches, I would mandate shoulder-length burkhas. Below them, clothing would be optional. It's just common sense and decency.
failures art

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:08 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

failures art wrote:

If everyone was naked, I wouldn't sit down on the metro. I guess I could, but moist towelettes add up and damn this economy...

A
R
Towelettes

i know you are playing around with this response, but i actually want to object to it for a second. i honestly don't think you would act that way. think about it. we touch a lot of stuff with our hands and i just saw an episode of myth busters where they tested how easy it is to spread germs and it was quite surprising. you touch so many things in public places with just your hands and we are fully clothed yet that doesn't seem to bother you. maybe it does but the point is, i think if you were raised in such an environment you wouldn't even of considered it, but since it is something you are not accustomed to, it sounds foreign and you want to try and distance yourself from it.

imagine how many workers at the fast food places you stop off at for lunch have lice in their hair? it's more than you think.

Perhaps you're right.

However, I'm willing to leverage my odds with doorknobs, less so with ass-seat-ass transfers. I don't eat fast food, so that threat is pretty much null.

A
R
T
sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm
@Krumple,
It's rather easier to wash your hands regularly than to wash your butt.

Plus, your hands don't have any orifices. (Unless there are suppurating wounds or something, which is kind of its own issue.) And germs are really fond of orifices.

At any rate, in practice I think simple discomfort (the areas we usually cover are not coincidentally the areas that tend to be most sensitive) would be more of an issue than germ transfer.

I'm all for some nudity in some situations -- I think it's criminal that it's a big deal for women to take off their shirts on extremely hot days while nobody thinks twice about men doing it, for example. But people who haven't actually LIVED naked for a bit often don't realize that it's just kind of a hassle. (People in nudist colonies tend to lug towels around a lot.)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:36 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

i think in a lot of ways clothes do a disservice to humanity. it creates an unnecessary taboo which only creates more problems.

I think it helps the somewhat artificial construct of monogamy to survive, itself a survival mechanism that apparently protects and feeds children.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:24 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

However, I'm willing to leverage my odds with doorknobs, less so with ass-seat-ass transfers.

I'm pretty sure I can fairly understand the psychology behind your emotion, and as others have also mentioned . . . that's pretty much in the social build adopted by the social model one has grown up in. I would tend to think that we might be able to verify the validity of that by looking not only at the animal kingdom's overlap with human social lifestyle--many a home have indoor pets which sit and lay around on, and lick and so forth and so on... and we have comparatively few problems with that. I have heard of cases where humans were infected with neural degenerating virus, or what-have-you, but again, quite few.

Then, we must realize that the Homo genus has come a long way, actually, in just that condition. The time we have in our recorded history is but the clear lead before the real portion of the casette tape ribbon, as compared to that latter 120 minute recording. This will obviously mean that it's not going to deflect the general progress of health organisms.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:40 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah, and no clothes = no pockets to put our wallets and keys, etc! Shocked
Fido

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:52 pm
@Aquathunda,
Aquathunda wrote:

Of all the strange moral values created, who decided clothing was necessary? It's like one day someone snapped their fingers and decided "Oh, I should cover my genitals and breasts!" who made this rule.

Did clothing start as rape prevention?
Did clothing start as a way to hide small genitalia?

Why not nudity?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
@Aquathunda,
Aquathunda wrote:

Of all the strange moral values created, who decided clothing was necessary? It's like one day someone snapped their fingers and decided "Oh, I should cover my genitals and breasts!" who made this rule.

Did clothing start as rape prevention?
Did clothing start as a way to hide small genitalia?

Why not nudity?

Now people are paid to take off their clothes, but if everyone suddenly decided to run around naked, more money still would be paid to see many dressed...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I know it's a clichée, but the thing that arouses me the most about an attractive woman is her face, especially her eyes. On the other hand, I come from Germany, where saunas tend to be co-ed with a no-clothes dress code. As a result, breasts and genitals excite me much less than faces. So if I got to write the laws for American beaches, I would mandate shoulder-length burkhas. Below them, clothing would be optional. It's just common sense and decency.

If God had wnated us to run around naked we would have been born that way!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:00 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Yeah, and no clothes = no pockets to put our wallets and keys, etc! Shocked

There goes the economy... We would all need foreskins to have some place to stuff our cab fare...
Eorl

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:34 pm
@Fido,
I was once told by someone who claimed to know for sure, that it all came about because some snake told some chic to eat an apple.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:38 pm
@Eorl,
My own theory has to do with clothing as armor. Can you just imagine those stone age brutes engaging in close combat with knives, clubs, and other assorted blunt and sharp objects with their gonies swinging in the breeze? I cannot.

We've all heard of the Irish tribes getting nekkid, paint themselves blue, and rushing into battle. I remain skeptical
Eorl

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@roger,
Too right!

It's funny how we all start with "Yeah! Naked! Natural! You can't stop the music!"

Then we all think about it seriously for a bit and there are dozens of good reasons not to nude up.

Let's compromise with "More Naked! More Often!"
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:27 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I was once told by someone who claimed to know for sure, that it all came about because some snake told some chic to eat an apple.

The last thing you want to tell a kid is that you don't know... All you need do is shut them up and get them back to work on their survival and any myth is better than no myth... You never know what part of your authority you might need with kids so it is always a mistake to tell them you do not know and are as ignorant as they.... With equality, contempt is general.... Which is also an issue with clothing since so much of it is used to show rank or wealth...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:30 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

My own theory has to do with clothing as armor. Can you just imagine those stone age brutes engaging in close combat with knives, clubs, and other assorted blunt and sharp objects with their gonies swinging in the breeze? I cannot.

We've all heard of the Irish tribes getting nekkid, paint themselves blue, and rushing into battle. I remain skeptical

The Celts generally had a contempt for armor, as did the Vikings... Berzerk comes from that period.... Armor was an advantage to the Romans, but also the fact that they fought as a unit rather than as individuals...
0 Replies

freyanudist

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:13 pm
@Aquathunda,
hy not? What is there to be ashamed of? Being nude is great, but it can be rather boring if you have to be alone to be nude. Quite often, the approach you use to tell somebody you are a naturist will have a big impact on how they respond. Some techniques work better than others, and will depend upon the people involved.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm
@freyanudist,
Agree. I sometimes just get my Frederick out and wiggle it at them, hoping they will snuggle up and take a selfie.
0 Replies