Deed to property fails to mention house

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:37 pm
My father passed away in December, my mother in 1993, and named me as the exectutor of their estate in the will. After reviewing their 1957 property deed I find that it fails to mention the 3 bedroom farmhouse they lived in for over 50 years. The house was built in the early 1900's and was most certainly there when they made the purchase yet the deed refers only to exiting "buildings" on the 7.39 acres purchased from the previous owners. Does anyone know if this was typical for rural property sales during that time or if it will be an issue now that my sister and I are ready to sell the homestead?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:02 pm
@braxy520,
The best place to get an expert answer to that is at your local title company. You don't say what state and county the property is located so I can't help with a link to a title company in the area.

I used to work for a title company in California and they addressed issues like this all the time.

I'm thinking that if this is a quote from the deed, that this is the reference needed about the house:

Quote:
the deed refers only to existing "buildings" on the 7.39 acres purchased from the previous owners

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:15 pm
In the meantime, here is a site you might browse through on deeds and ownership questions to see if any are similar to your situation:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/FAQ/2573-1

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:17 pm
@braxy520,
does it mention "tenement" or "messuage"?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:48 pm
@braxy520,
It could be that the house, if old and decrepit [and I'm not saying it is], was not valued highly and so it was described with the other existing buildings.
0 Replies