Ten Eighties Remakes That Actually Deserve to Happen

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:51 am
Quote:
With so many eighties cultural phenomenons now being revived for younger audiences — from The Karate Kid to The A-Team to trickle-down economics — we’re left to wonder: Just what Reagan-era titles haven’t been plundered yet? We don’t mean landmarks like The Smurfs or Police Academy, or beloved cult hits like Flight of the Navigator — all of which are now in various stages of redevelopment. We mean those eighties movies or TV shows that never caught on to begin with — the ones with unrealized potential, just waiting to be dusted off. Herewith, we present ten properties in need of a second look. (Note to Hollywood executives: If you do happen to greenlight any of these, we’d like our 10 percent finders’ fee paid out in Double Dare dollars.)

To take a look at the slideshow:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/06/80s_remakes.html?mid=agenda--20100611#
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,512 • Replies: 38
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
wow, i wouldn't see any of those (actually the only one i did see was firefox, might try to download it to see how it holds up)
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Hmmm. Ishtar? Seriously? LOL
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 02:01 pm
@Irishk,
I actually liked Ishtar, I thought it was funny. However, a remake of the A_TEAM? cmon. Only Mr T can be Barrabus.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 04:52 pm
Those Misfits are the oldest teenagers on record!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 04:58 pm
Late 80s, 89 or thereabouts, there was a tv series called "Crime Story" which ran for a year or a year and a half which I though was fabulous.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't say that I'd be too eager on any of them, with the exception of Firefox.

Seeing the write-up for Airwolf brought back memories of stuff I watched Jan Michael Vincent in. There was a career cut short, huh?

And, of course, old Ernest Borgnine! What a long career he had.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the 1980s TV show Miami Vice. I thought it was fun, but perhaps a product of its time? Perhaps it wouldn't translate well into today's audience?

I'm curious how well the new "Hawaii Five-O" series will do. A look back at the old one recently showed to me that it didn't stand up too well. It had a dated feel to it. I suppose this could be for many other shows, like for example, "The Streets of San Francisco".
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
My entire family liked Tales of the Golden Monkey although some episodes were a little flat.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Wow, what a mostly terrible list. Ishtar was fine on its own. Sure it was kind of stupid, but I think that is the point most people miss about it. Most of those movies I didn't see the first time, and wouldn't see on their second run with new paint.

Why not remake Ernest Goes to Camp while remake fever has struck the movie business. Now is probably one of the only moments in time that an Ernest movie could actually be redone.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:32 pm
@Theaetetus,
Somewhere and somehow some Hollywood Studio executive accidentally stumbled onto your post and is surfing through his iPhone to see which screenwriter could do a quick treatment/early stage script based on your Ernest idea.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Rolling Eyes Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead wins the Hollywood remake sweepstakes Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes http://www.avclub.com/articles/dont-tell-mom-the-babysitters-dead-wins-the-hollyw,42114/ Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:56 am
@tsarstepan,
The Short Curcuit movies deserve a remake.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:08 am
so it wasn't bad enough that wil smith decided his son should remake the karate kid, now he thinks his daughter should star in a remake of annie

hopefully willow snaps her neck "whippin' her hair back and forth", before this travesty can be completed
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:18 am
The Highwayman

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/758/78ozyr29ngia881.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:30 am
How funny that this thread resurfaced. My son, who is 26, told me that a remake of Conan the Barbarian is in the works as well as a remake of the Smurfs. I checked them out just now and it is true. Both movies are to released this year.

My son feels that it is shame Hollywood is so bereft of ideas. I just feel the whole thing is all too Brave New World; that there is an attempt to formulate a culture on old television stories because people no longer talk to each other.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:13 pm
@plainoldme,
What do you mean a remake of the Smurfs? There was no live-action movie that was made before now. There was Smurfs and the Magic Flute, which was animated-and making a live-action film of the Smurfs sounds like a travesty.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Short Circuit movies deserve a remake. - Fixed
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:18 pm
"Conan the Smurf"-- I might go to see that.

Never saw "The Highwayman", but I do like that truck.

I liked "Tales of the Golden Monkey" too, wouldn't mind seeing that back in production.

It was the 80s that saw a remake of ""Casablanca" for TV, which apparently deservedly only lasted five episodes--David Soul as Rick, Scatman Crothers as Sam, and Hector Elizondo as Louis Renault. I know I saw it, but I can't remember if it was good or bad, which is probably an indication. In trying to track that down, Google told me that Pamela Anderson's "Barb Wire" is apparently categorized in movie databases as "Casablanca remake set in a post-apocalyptic strip club", and in 2008 "Madonna wants to remake 'Casablanca' and of all the places in all the world she wants to set it in war-torn Iraq"--the things they've done to that poor movie. Fortunately, unless Madonna gets her act together, no one seems up for a remake right now.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:44 pm
Is this some kind of a joke?

Seriously?

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:31 pm
The NEW Karate Kid was a rehash of the Second original Karate Kid-they only major difference was the new film took place in China and not Japan. It was something of a let down.
0 Replies