Chess Board Queen's position and the attacked fields.

abrath

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 04:18 am
Suppose a 8x8 range is the chess board and the queen is positioned in any place. Say, the range is E4:L11 and the queen is in H6. The poistion of the queen, that is the row number and column number of the range, is entered in two other cells (say in E2 and F2 as 3 ( & 4 resepectively). Please suggest me a formulla, to be entered at E4 and copied to the entire range of E4:L11 so that the queen's positon cell returns 0 (zero), all the cells than can be attacked by the queen returns 1 (one) and all other cells return -1 (minus one). As per the data given above, H6 to give zero and all the cells vertically, horizontally and diagonally linked to H6 will return "ONE". Obviouslyn if the queen's position is changed in cells E2 and F2, the Board Range (E4:L11) has to be updated accodingly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,466 • Replies: 1
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:16 am
@abrath,
That sounds complicated. I don't have a clue how to put it into formula. Although my brain must be doing it automatically because I can play the game perfectly well.
0 Replies