Decision regarding parenthood

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:10 pm
I used to want to have children because that's what most people did. However, 6 months ago i started learning about philosophy, and i came across the question of what makes something right or wrong. This question confounds me, and largely because of this question, i have decided not to have children. I mean, what would i say to them? How do i know i'm right in my idea of right and wrong? I don't believe in God, but if i had children and taught that to my children, and God existed, would i basically be sending my children to Hell?

I just started this discussion because i'm curious as to what sort of impact philosophical thoughts have had on you as a parent, if any, or how has philosophy influenced your view of how parents should behave. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,672 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:16 pm
@Insane Philosopher,
Insane Philosopher wrote:

I used to want to have children because that's what most people did. However, 6 months ago i started learning about philosophy, and i came across the question of what makes something right or wrong. This question confounds me, and largely because of this question, i have decided not to have children. I mean, what would i say to them? How do i know i'm right in my idea of right and wrong? I don't believe in God, but if i had children and taught that to my children, and God existed, would i basically be sending my children to Hell?

I just started this discussion because i'm curious as to what sort of impact philosophical thoughts have had on you as a parent, if any, or how has philosophy influenced your view of how parents should behave. What do you think?

I have also decided not to have kids. But i think you are looking at it from the perspective that they can't decide on their own what they want to believe. Why not raise them honestly? Tell them both sides of the issue and leave it up to them to answer, even if they are young, all you have to do is say, well some people think this, and others think that. So what do you think? I think your kid would respect you more if you let them decide for themselves instead of indoctrinate them with your beliefs. If they ask your opinion you can definitely give it but at the same time you can tell them, that you might be wrong too. If you do this than you teach them probably the best lesson in life.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:45 pm
@Insane Philosopher,
In order for children to decide what they want to believe in, they have to have
knowledge first. I don't believe in God either, despite my catholic upbringing - or should I say because of my catholic background.
My child went to a catholic school until she was old enough to question their
religion and she has made up her mind that she won't believe in God (she's 14 years old). I did not influence her decision and I would not have if she had
decided to believe in God.

Don't base your wish to have children on the absence of a religious belief.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:43 pm
@Insane Philosopher,
I am inclined to think those philosophic thoughts quickly devolve to the lowest common denominator.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:27 am
Usually thinking doesn't come into play when you decide to have children. I think most people have children because emotionally they want them.

Either that or the passion takes over and in that case one definately isn't thinking about.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:06 am
You can tell children whatever you want, but also see that they develop a love of knowledge. Read to them when they are small. Allow them space and time to figure out people, things, themselves. I did not bring up my two boys within a religion.

Nothing works, however, without discipline tempered by love. That's what gives them confidence and self-esteem. I think most of our learnng along spiritual, religions lines, occurs in what we read ourselves, after we've finished our "schooling."
engineer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:37 pm
Having children is one of life's great adventures. Some people choose other adventures. Some people aren't adventurous. Like all adventures, you can put some degree of planning in it or wing it. You can prepare or go in blind. Overplaning and overthinking might be the optimum way to go into any adventure. Sometimes the uncertainty is what makes it worthwhile.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:51 pm
@Pemerson,
Yes - I tell my children I am a superhero.
0 Replies