How should I live my life? How do you live yours?

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:54 am
Well I think life is without objective meaning, purpose except for the one I give it so it is hard to motivate myself to do things when nothing has more significance than anything else, anyone else been in my position before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 643 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:00 am
@Andarius1,
Andarius1;172859 wrote:
Well I think life is without objective meaning, purpose except for the one I give it so it is hard to motivate myself to do things when nothing has more significance than anything else, anyone else been in my position before?

Well what is important to you? There has to be something you are interested in. You don't have to place any value on it other than the fact that it is interesting to you. Start there.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:06 am
@Andarius1,
Andarius1;172859 wrote:

Hell yeah. I still think life is without some conceptual purpose. I once suffered extremely at times from this lack of meaning. In my opinion, one has to learn to love this world, and especially the people in it. Some are better than others. Seek the best. Forgive or forget the rest. That's what works for me. Existence is potentially utterly beautiful at least at times if we can wipe our glasses clean of illusions and confusions and vanities. Well, that's my opinion. Good luck out there!
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:44 pm
@Andarius1,
Andarius1;172859 wrote:

Yes, for a very long time, and to a large extent I'm still in it. I think Reconstructo's advice is very good.

For the moment I can think of nothing to add to that advice, except to draw out its implication that you must trust your own judgement as to what is the "best". After all, unless you already know what is best, what is there other than your own judgement that you could trust?

It may be just me, but I have found Plato's dialogue Protagoras very helpful to keep in mind when I am asking myself what is best, and in whom and in what to trust. I don't know any answers to Socrates's questions, but they are damned good questions, and it's a mistake not to ask them.

---------- Post added 06-04-2010 at 09:00 PM ----------

For some reason, I want to suggest listening to this song. But don't listen to it if you don't like loud music!
YouTube - Good Things Don't Always Come To You
0 Replies

apehead

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:01 pm
@Andarius1,
Andarius1;172859 wrote:
Well I think life is without objective meaning, purpose except for the one I give it

I'm not sure if life has objective meaning or not, but I will say it is my belief that we wouldn't be able to determine it either way.
Andarius1;172859 wrote:
so it is hard to motivate myself to do things when nothing has more significance than anything else, anyone else been in my position before?

Not really. Just because nothing is objectively more significant than anything else, doesn't necessarily mean that some actions won't carry more significance when considered in the context of your personal values, aesthetics, and preferences.

I'm assuming you dressed yourself today, and picked out the clothes you ended up wearing. I'm also assuming that you have some other clothes that you decided not to wear. Hey Presto! You've just created value! By your action you've demonstrated that you valued looking a certain way today than looking another. Boy, that was easy!
0 Replies