Prove to me your existence

Twirlip

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:16 pm
@BrianH phil,
BrianH;163769 wrote:
Can you find a way to prove to me that you eixist knowing that, to me, existence is the ability to rationalize, through rationality, formulate a mentality, through your mentality, formulate a reality and therefore, establishign existence? However, your rationality cannot be compromised and relinquished because then, everything, including your existence, is forfeited and not existing for me.

I still can't solve your riddle, but I'm still trying to grasp it.

My impression of what you mean is this:

You find yourself apparently existing, in an apparently real world, which apparently also contains other persons.

You suspect that this apparently real world is not in fact real.

Your salvation, so to speak, from this unreal world is what I would call your reason, and what you call your rationality, or your ability to rationalise.

(I think we are talking about the same thing, but I would point out that to "rationalise" is usually taken to mean to provide spurious reasons, for a conclusion taken dogmatically to be true in advance. I am fairly sure that you do not mean this.)

In your view (as I imagine it to be), the means of salvation through reason is as follows:

Your reason enables to discern the unreality of the world that presents itself to you as the one real world.

Your reason also enables you to grasp, even if only dimly at first, aspects of the world as it really is.

In a kind of leap of faith, you take as real that which your reason tells you must be real, rather than the apparent world which so insistently and commandingly presents itself to you as real.

In doing so, you have a deep impression that you are coming closer to being your own real self, even though this rational leap of faith seems to bring you into conflict with everything which previously seemed to you to be real, and which demands that you continue to take it to be real.

On the other hand, insofar as you yield to the demand of 'reality', you feel that you are not being true to yourself, you are losing your real existence.

It is a kind of existentialist version of Pascal's wager, in that, although you do not really know for certain which version of 'reality' is real, and along with it, which version of your 'self' is real, in one version of 'reality' you as a person are crushed out of existence, while in the other version of 'reality', you at least have a chance of existing, so you 'bet' on that, just as Pascal 'bet' on God.

If you give up your reason, you give up the world, and with the world, you lose also your own self, your soul.

Am I merely projecting, or am I on roughly the right lines so far?

This is not a solution to the riddle, not even a guess at the solution, only an attempt to guess imaginatively what, in your mind, is the precondition even for an understanding of what the riddle is.
BrianH;164638 wrote:
Are you a philosophy major or studying philosphy in college? (Supposing that you're an existing rationality that can provide me with a valid and genuine response)

No, I have never taken any formal course in philosophy. I have an existential riddle of my own to solve, and no existing scheme of thought (that I am aware of) even seems to enable me to formulate the riddle, let alone solve it, therefore, by definition, I am involved in philosophy, at least until I find my way through philosophy to some more concrete and specific intellectual and/or spiritual discipline which enables me to confront and outface my own Sphinx.
BrianH phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:58 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;164670 wrote:
I still can't solve your riddle, but I'm still trying to grasp it.

My impression of what you mean is this:

You find yourself apparently existing, in an apparently real world, which apparently also contains other persons.

Your salvation, so to speak, from this unreal world is what I would call your reason, and what you call your rationality, or your ability to rationalise.

(I think we are talking about the same thing, but I would point out that to "rationalise" is usually taken to mean to provide spurious reasons, for a conclusion taken dogmatically to be true in advance. I am fairly sure that you do not mean this.)

In your view (as I imagine it to be), the means of salvation through reason is as follows:

Your reason enables to discern the unreality of the world that presents itself to you as the one real world.

Your reason also enables you to grasp, even if only dimly at first, aspects of the world as it really is.

In a kind of leap of faith, you take as real that which your reason tells you must be real, rather than the apparent world which so insistently and commandingly presents itself to you as real.

In doing so, you have a deep impression that you are coming closer to being your own real self, even though this rational leap of faith seems to bring you into conflict with everything which previously seemed to you to be real, and which demands that you continue to take it to be real.

On the other hand, insofar as you yield to the demand of 'reality', you feel that you are not being true to yourself, you are losing your real existence.

It is a kind of existentialist version of Pascal's wager, in that, although you do not really know for certain which version of 'reality' is real, and along with it, which version of your 'self' is real, in one version of 'reality' you as a person are crushed out of existence, while in the other version of 'reality', you at least have a chance of existing, so you 'bet' on that, just as Pascal 'bet' on God.

If you give up your reason, you give up the world, and with the world, you lose also your own self, your soul.

Am I merely projecting, or am I on roughly the right lines so far?

This is not a solution to the riddle, not even a guess at the solution, only an attempt to guess imaginatively what, in your mind, is the precondition even for an understanding of what the riddle is.

No, I have never taken any formal course in philosophy. I have an existential riddle of my own to solve, and no existing scheme of thought (that I am aware of) even seems to enable me to formulate the riddle, let alone solve it, therefore, by definition, I am involved in philosophy, at least until I find my way through philosophy to some more concrete and specific intellectual and/or spiritual discipline which enables me to confront and outface my own Sphinx.

you are on the right track. existence is relinquished. I fear telling people an answer to this because that would require me to give to someone my reasoning and that would mean that through no real 'self' have they been able to come up with the answer. They would not be able to think and that makes them nonexistent. Their minds are there but their thoughts do not originate from their minds. If they don't think then they're not living.

I also am not studying. I was just curious. I wanted to join philosophy club at my school but at my high school, it's an absolute joke. My ideology comes from self thought and formulation of ideas.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:02 pm
@BrianH phil,
BrianH wrote:
to know so much about what i am convinced about in this conversation with little insight on my rationality is pointless to me. I am not convinced of your existence regardless of what you say. So prove to me that you exist. If that is what you find more important then let's experiment with the idea because, as of right now, that's all i've been conversing with, ideas. Let us turn the tables from your perception of phychological to the general idea of logical. I don't care much for knowing that you can prove it if i can't see your rationlaity however, which i have yet to view in this discourse. I already stated that without rationality, you are nonexistent. Twirlip posted on my thread with some insight on that. (Twirlip being nonexistent because i have not seen any rationality on his behalf)

If you don't find his talking to you to be good evidence that he exists, I've not a clue what you would find to be good evidence. And if you're not going to use reason here, why should anyone try to prove anything to you in the first place? It's what we call a lost cause. And sometimes those causes should stay lost, in my opinion.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@BrianH phil,
I think therefore, I am. You I am not so sure about?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;164670 wrote:

What would be the basis of this suspicion, I wonder. And, if this world were not the real world, then what would the real one be like? What would make this one different?

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 05:39 PM ----------

Zetherin;164688 wrote:
If you don't find his talking to you to be good evidence that he exists, I've not a clue what you would find to be good evidence. And if you're not going to use reason here, why should anyone try to prove anything to you in the first place? It's what we call a lost cause. And sometimes those causes should stay lost, in my opinion.

It is not really that his talking to him is not evidence that he exists. If he is talking to you then he does exist, otherwise, how could he be talking to you? Evidence for something cannot be the thing itself, can it be. Evidence for an elephant is not an elephant. An elephant is what we need evidence for. If I point to an elephant in a cage in a zoo that would not be evidence of an elephant. That would be the elephant.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:45 pm
@BrianH phil,
kennethamy wrote:
It is not really that his talking to him is not evidence that he exists. If he is talking to you then he does exist, otherwise, how could he be talking to you? Evidence for something cannot be the thing itself, can it be. Evidence for an elephant is not an elephant. An elephant is what we need evidence for. If I point to an elephant in a cage in a zoo that would not be evidence of an elephant. That would be the elephant.

If someone spoke to me, I would find that good evidence that they exist. Because, as you pointed out, if they spoke to me, it means they exist.

That you spoke to him, you don't think is evidence that you exist?
Twirlip

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164702 wrote:
What would be the basis of this suspicion, I wonder. And, if this world were not the real world, then what would the real one be like? What would make this one different?

I can't speak for the OP, but, because in the long passage [from which] you quoted I was largely trying to guess at some of his meaning by projecting thoughts of my own, I am obliged to answer for myself.

I suspect that that aspect of the world which is invariant under mood changes - even the extreme daily (and even sometimes hourly) mood changes to which I am subject - more or less coincides with the world as it is investigated by science. Would you agree?

But the world as it is investigated by science is not the world that any of us actually lives in.

Nor, on the other hand, do we live in roughly 6,820,600,000 separate individual worlds.

We live in various shared 'realities'. Obviously, there is only one reality. (I know this is arguable, but I am no more inclined to argue with it than I am inclined to bother arguing against solipsism.) How do the various, more or or less shared, 'realities' we inhabit as human beings relate to the one reality?

We can learn a lot, even about ourselves, from science, but it is not enough, especially when we have urgent problems to solve and vital decisions to make. What, then, can we reliably learn about the world, in addition to what we learn through science? If we do not subscribe to scientism as an ideology, are we necessarily prey to religious or political dogma, or to the "social construction of reality" (as opposed to Searle's "construction of social reality"), or to individual fantasy and guesswork and possible insanity, or is it a matter of "whereof one cannot speak, thereof must one remain silent"?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:20 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;164705 wrote:
If someone spoke to me, I would find that good evidence that they exist. Because, as you pointed out, if they spoke to me, it means they exist.

That you spoke to him, you don't think is evidence that you exist?

Of course, my having spoken to him would not merely be good evidence that I exist, it would be my existing. How could I speak without existing. Evidence of something is one thing: but the something is a different thing; and perhaps X is evidence of itself. I don't know. But it certainly is not merely evidence of itself.

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 06:30 PM ----------

Twirlip;164709 wrote:

But the world as it is investigated by science is not the world that any of us actually lives in.

We live in various shared 'realities'.

What would make you think that, the world as it is investigated by science is not the world that any of us actually lives in?

I would think that it is the very same world as it is investigated by science that we all live it It not, why would we care about scientific investigation? We do not live in shared realities (whatever that means) although we do share beliefs about reality. There is bu one reality. There are several beliefs about reality. Let's not confuse the one with the other, shall we?
Zetherin

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:54 pm
@BrianH phil,
kennethamy wrote:
Of course, my having spoken to him would not merely be good evidence that I exist, it would be my existing.

Yes, I think so too. But Brian doesn't. And this is why I'm questioning just what Brian would find as good evidence.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:08 pm
@kennethamy,
I don't want to sidetrack this interesting thread too much, but I should reply, at least briefly.
kennethamy;164720 wrote:
What would make you think that, the world as it is investigated by science is not the world that any of us actually lives in?

I would think that it is the very same world as it is investigated by science that we all live it It not, why would we care about scientific investigation? We do not live in shared realities (whatever that means) although we do share beliefs about reality. There is bu one reality. There are several beliefs about reality. Let's not confuse the one with the other, shall we?

Science investigates aspects of the one world/reality/cosmos/universe that we all live in. We share many experiences of aspects of that same world/reality/cosmos/universe which science does not (or does not presently) investigate. What version of philosophical realism, if any, is applicable all aspects of the one world/reality/cosmos/universe, including those aspects not (or not presently) investigated by science? On questions not decided by science, is one answer as good as another? Of concepts not belonging to science, is one as sane/realistic as another?

I don't think there is as tidy a separation between reality and belief about reality as you suggest. I said so before, in a very long, multi-part post (#68) in another thread:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/metaphilosophy/8689-philosophy-rise-science-7.html#post160449

but I don't think anyone took up any of the points I thought I had managed to raise there.
0 Replies

BrianH phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:29 pm
@prothero,
prothero;164689 wrote:
I think therefore, I am. You I am not so sure about?

it's true. To think is to exist but your idea of thinking and my idea of thinking might not be the same.

---------- Post added 05-15-2010 at 04:46 PM ----------

Zetherin;164739 wrote:
Yes, I think so too. But Brian doesn't. And this is why I'm questioning just what Brian would find as good evidence.

solipsism is what this is. You can speak and i can speak to you but how can i possibly prove that you are still in the room if i am not in there and i cannot see you? How can i be certain that when i leave the room, there is a nothingness there? Properties can be perveiced through perceptions but as we argued before with the color of a car, not everyone or everything sees the same thing. To a blind animal, visual perception is nonexistent. They will live off of textures and sounds, not sight. How can they prove that soemthing can be 'seen' if they have never seen before? to them, sight is nonexistent and any visual aspect to you is nonexistent. Besides, the original question revealed certain methods of how it can be proven to me. None of the reasons that have been presented are convincing arguments. Twirlip is the only one who's on the right track.
Ergo phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:48 pm
@BrianH phil,
SSN: 078-05-1120
BrianH phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:49 pm
@Ergo phil,
Ergo;164756 wrote:
SSN: 078-05-1120

as of right now, you are totally nonexistent to me. It's not an offense, it is simply my view of life.

an SSN is compeltely independent to your existence and even if your number exists, why should you?
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:48 pm
@BrianH phil,
BrianH;164749 wrote:
Twirlip is the only one who's on the right track.

And even I'm still not close.

In general terms, the only way I can think of to convince you of my existence would to point out to you some feature of the real world which is evident to you but not to most people.

For instance, if there existed in the real world an enormous DayGlo pink elephant, orbiting the Moon, and possessing the mysterious property of being visible to people who really exist (and who therefore inhabit the real world) but invisible to people who don't really exist (and who therefore inhabit only some unreal world), then I could simply tell you where I see the pink elephant glowing in the night sky, and you could confirm my observation (making all due allowance for our time zone difference), and conclude that I inhabit the real world, like you, and therefore I exist.

I'll keep my eyes open (all three of them).
BrianH phil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:33 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;164776 wrote:
And even I'm still not close.

In general terms, the only way I can think of to convince you of my existence would to point out to you some feature of the real world which is evident to you but not to most people.

For instance, if there existed in the real world an enormous DayGlo pink elephant, orbiting the Moon, and possessing the mysterious property of being visible to people who really exist (and who therefore inhabit the real world) but invisible to people who don't really exist (and who therefore inhabit only some unreal world), then I could simply tell you where I see the pink elephant glowing in the night sky, and you could confirm my observation (making all due allowance for our time zone difference), and conclude that I inhabit the real world, like you, and therefore I exist.

I'll keep my eyes open (all three of them).

no, you just got further.:brickwall: that's how i feel right now. But hey, this is really not going to work out. All the responses i have recieved so far are really just not convincing. Ergo was the only one who was actually somewhat convincing, after thinking about it, by implying that he has some control over existence. His SSN would not exist if he would not eixst. However, those who greatly follow dogmas would not exist if dogmas did not exist. Their existence is dependent upon the existence of an independent variable. Again, my idea of existence is very different to most people's, which is what most people failed to comprehend when i asked my question, even though it's all there, my idea of existence. Well, so long.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:12 pm
@BrianH phil,
BrianH;163769 wrote:
can you possibly prove to me that you exist? I exist but my rationality might not be seen as existing to some individuals as theirs does not seem to mine. Therefore, i find it impossible to prove existence of any being independent of my existence. Can you find a way to prove to me that you eixist knowing that, to me, existence is the ability to rationalize, through rationality, formulate a mentality, through your mentality, formulate a reality and therefore, establishign existence? However, your rationality cannot be compromised and relinquished because then, everything, including your existence, is forfeited and not existing for me. It's an equation i have given you that has a simple solution. Syllogistically, if i can be provided with these examples then i would agree with you that you exist.
1) what doesn't exist that should exist?

2) isn't it an irrational standpoint to say that something that naturally should exist, has an doubt of existance?`

3) if I kicked ur butt, wouldn't I exist, or does some imaginative thing kick ur butt instead?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:23 pm
@BrianH phil,
BrianH wrote:
All the responses i have recieved so far are really just not convincing.

No, it is just that you are being irrational. You are denying any evidence that is presented to you. It's not their fault, it's yours.

Be a little more reasonable, and maybe this discussion will go better.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:57 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168276 wrote:
No, it is just that you are being irrational. You are denying any evidence that is presented to you. It's not their fault, it's yours.

Be a little more reasonable, and maybe this discussion will go better.

It seems to me obvious that if someone seriously asks for evidence that he or you exist, then nothing more that you can offer than the evidence he already has, will persuade him that he or you exists.
Klope3

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:25 pm
@kennethamy,
Being absolutely honest, no, I do not believe there is any sound way for me to prove to you that I exist. In order to prove this, I would have to do something, and anything I do could just be a figment of your imagination/perception. I honestly don't think there is ANY way around that, whatsoever.

However, I also believe that if it is at all possible that I really AM surrounded by billions of other people who have minds, feelings and needs like I do, that I should give the matter the "benefit of the doubt" (sorry if I misused that cliche) and act appropriately.

Even in order to scientifically prove something, one must start with presuppositions. If I want to scientifically prove that a flower grew from a seed, then I must first assume that 1) the flower had a cause, and 2) the flower does, in fact, exist in the first place. In life in general (completely disconnected from scientific experiments), I choose to always start with the presupposition that other minds exist. If other minds did NOT exist (by the way--prove that they don't), one of my best options would be suicide, because there would be no reason to live.

(As an afterthought, there are a number of things that could logically follow from the fact that I exist, if I concede that I am finite. Everything finite has to have a cause, so either my mother exists [as a material cause of a material being], or God exists [as an immaterial cause of a material being].)
kennethamy

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:29 pm
@Klope3,
Klope3;168306 wrote:
Being absolutely honest, no, I do not believe there is any sound way for me to prove to you that I exist. In order to prove this, I would have to do something, and anything I do could just be a figment of your imagination/perception. I honestly don't think there is ANY way around that, whatsoever.

Does the fact that you may make a mistake in the proof of the Pythagorean theorem show that there is no proof of the Pythagorean theorem? If not, then why should that fact that I could be a figment of your imagination show that I cannot prove that I exist?

Any proof might be mistaken. Does that show that there are no proofs?