Giving your organs away, after you die (altruism?)

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:57 pm
Is it an act of altruism if you request in your will that your vital organs, which are needed by people with illness, are given away?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,509 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Clydesdale

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 12:14 am
@mishmish,
Many factors could play into this, it could be a way for the individual to ensure their place in their respective theological paradise. So in that sense, no it would not be a true act of altruism. Consider that regardless of if "God" is real or not, the influence and desire to give in his name is altruistic enough, especially from the eyes of an atheist (myself). Bottom line is I think that would be a very virtuous gesture to humanity. Just hope their body doesn't reject the organ :S
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 12:23 am
@mishmish,
No, it doesn't seem like it, although it is the right thing to do obviously.

I remember seeing the statistic:

In countries where you have to opt-in to the organ donation program--10 percent of people are signed up

In countries where you have to opt-out of the organ donation program--90 percent are signed up.

It just goes to show that it so abstract that there isn't any real emotion in it. I see altruism as emotional--if you aren't feeling any empathy, just doing the logical thing, then it's not really altruism. And if you are feeling that, that makes it altruistic, even if you somehow benefit too.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@mishmish,
mishmish;162735 wrote:
Is it an act of altruism if you request in your will that your vital organs, which are needed by people with illness, are given away?

Other than those who, as Clydesdale points out, are doing it to score points with their god (or someone else), it is going to tend to be altruistic, as it is not oneself who will benefit from one's organs being used by someone else.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@Pyrrho,
I don't know about altruism but it is the decent and responsible thing to do.
I think it should be automatic law unless stipulated in a will or edict that they not be.

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 12:05 AM ----------

It is what makes us truly human to be able to do this.
Human-ness also known as humanity decrees we do such.
Shame all my bits have been knackered.
I saw some ones eye being taken out once just for the purpose to give some one else sight.
It should be law.
More laws to enforce humanity would be a good thing.
0 Replies

biggie

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:16 pm
well it would be consider altruism, because if im going to give my organs to someone in hopes of saving their live (a definite moral), then by virtue, i would want someone to do the same if i was in need of an organ (therefore giving away your organ in the hopes that one would do the same for you, if you needed an organ, is something necessary) whether if I agree with this philosophy is for debate, but in essence it would be considered true alturism
JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:25 pm
@biggie,
Yes, it is both ethical and rational.
0 Replies