Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:03 am
That is, who is God, in the eyes of Muslims, Christians and Jews?

Now keep in mind that I am not referring to the different religious practices or taboos, I am referring to God and who these 3 religions think they are talking about when they say "God."

I was under the impression that all 3 recognized the same God, that is Jehovah, the God of Abraham and Moses (although by different names).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,148 • Replies: 91
No top replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:44 pm
Christians, Muslims and Jews believe in the existence of God, in His oneness, that the whole universe and all living things were created by Him, and that people must regulate their lives according to His revelations.

(After that, comes the free-for-all!) :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:57 pm
Well...it is true. It's all the same god. The first skirmish was between Jews and Christians, and Jesus' split from the Jewish faith. The next skirmish was with the Muslim faith, who claimed through Old Testament tales that their prophet was the son of Hagar, Abraham's servant, who was impregnated by Abraham on his wife, Sarah's permission, as she was barren. Then, god granted Sarah a child, and Sarah was jealous of Hagar, and she was cast out into the desert, presumably to die. Apparently she didn't, and gave birth to the Mohammed, and Islamics have held a grudge ever since against Jews. Personally, I think it's all crap, but if the evidence is to be believed, all three religions trace back to Judaism, and the Jews are amongst the most hated people on earth. Go figure. Each religion made their own gods, based on the original model. Why we all can't get along still eludes me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:29 pm
I thought Who was on first!
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:42 pm
cavfancier wrote:
...Jesus' split from the Jewish faith...

Excuse me, but I don't believe Jesus ever split from the Jewish faith. Jesus died as so-called 'King of the Jews'. Some 70 years after his death, several men began writing the bible and calling themselves Christians, yes, but please do respond as to Jesus the man.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:43 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

What?
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
and so, cavfancier, I googled and found:

"In every respect, therefore, Jesus was a Jew, and was not ashamed to call himself one:

"we know what we worship, for salvation is from the Jews" (John 4.22)

from

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/jesusjew.html"

What say ye?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
Suzette wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

What?

The question at the head of this thread is: Who is God?

I responded: "I thought Who was on first!"

(Think Abbott and Costello!)
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:07 pm
The joke's on you, my agnostic compadre!

I was playing into the Abbott-Costello routine... Rolling Eyes .

Men! Twisted Evil :wink:
0 Replies

redhawk44

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
So, am I correct in interpreting the above to mean that -- first there were Jews, then Christians separated themselves from the Jews to become Christians--while still believing in Jehovah as the supreme being, then about 600 years later some more of the Jews separated themselves to become Muslims while still believing in Jehovah as the supreme being?

Is this the way it happened?
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
Well, I always thought of it more like a dysfunctional family, but, hey, that's just me. From the viewpoint of an agnostic Jew, here is a wonderful source on the history...but, please do note it is indeed a Jewish viewpoint. Enjoy!

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/History/timeline.html#trans
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
Suzette wrote:
The joke's on you, my agnostic compadre!

I was playing into the Abbott-Costello routine... Rolling Eyes .

Men! Twisted Evil :wink:

Damn!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:16 pm
Suzette rocks...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:49 am
The early history surrounding Judaism and Christianity is pretty complex and obscure. Judaism was pretty diverse at this time. There were various sects, and groups, many with political leanings, within Judaism including the Sadducees, Essenes, Pharisees, Zealots, and various others, and there was considerable infighting between these groups. Christianity was a later addition to this mix with the appearance of Yesua (Jesus). The Pharisees were Talmudic scholars, and centered their beliefs on the Torah of Moses as interpreted through Halakah, the legal portion of the Talmud. The Sadducees were the aristocratic priests of the Temple. They were more of a social/political class. They rejected the authority of Halakah; largely for those reasons, they were at odds with the Pharisees. The Essenes were an ascetic group who rejected the Sadducees as corrupt, as did many other Jews, and therefore rejected (especially the Qumran [Dead Sea Scrolls] Essenes) the Temple through their authority. The Zealots were more of a nationalistic political group who are traceable to the Maccabean revolt in the second century C.E., and who by this time turned their energies towards an anti-Roman agenda. It was their activities that sparked the war against the Romans. The Judaic schism occurred after the Great War and destruction of the Second Temple c.70 C.E. The Essenes disappeared some time after the destruction, possibly through persecution by the Romans. The Sadducees disappeared with the destruction of the Temple. The Pharisees moved quickly to regroup and assume control of the Jewish populations that were cast from Jerusalem by the Romans, and those populations that remained in Judea. It was during this time that the Pharisees began a purge of extra-Pharisaical elements in Judaism and among the Jewry. The Christians, who by that time consisted largely of Jews, but with a great influx of Goyim, were ostracized from Judaism. It was at this point that Judaism and Christianity diverged into radically different paths. Pharisaic Judaism was the precursor to modern Rabbinical Judaism.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:39 am
The Gods of Islam and Christianity are evolutionary offshoots of the God of Judaism, but are basically the same deity.

An important difference is that most (but not all) Christians believe that God is a Trinity composed of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Hagar's son was Ishmael, not Muhammad. Arabs. including Muhammad, claim heredity from Abraham through his first-born son Ishmael.
0 Replies

redhawk44

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:39 am
The early history surrounding Judaism and Christianity is pretty complex and obscure. Judaism was pretty diverse at this time. There were various sects, and groups, many with political leanings, within Judaism including the Sadducees, Essenes, Pharisees, Zealots, and various others, and there was considerable infighting between these groups. Christianity was a later addition to this mix with the appearance of Yesua (Jesus). The Pharisees were Talmudic scholars, and centered their beliefs on the Torah of Moses as interpreted through Halakah, the legal portion of the Talmud. The Sadducees were the aristocratic priests of the Temple. They were more of a social/political class. They rejected the authority of Halakah; largely for those reasons, they were at odds with the Pharisees. The Essenes were an ascetic group who rejected the Sadducees as corrupt, as did many other Jews, and therefore rejected (especially the Qumran [Dead Sea Scrolls] Essenes) the Temple through their authority. The Zealots were more of a nationalistic political group who are traceable to the Maccabean revolt in the second century C.E., and who by this time turned their energies towards an anti-Roman agenda. It was their activities that sparked the war against the Romans. The Judaic schism occurred after the Great War and destruction of the Second Temple c.70 C.E. The Essenes disappeared some time after the destruction, possibly through persecution by the Romans. The Sadducees disappeared with the destruction of the Temple. The Pharisees moved quickly to regroup and assume control of the Jewish populations that were cast from Jerusalem by the Romans, and those populations that remained in Judea. It was during this time that the Pharisees began a purge of extra-Pharisaical elements in Judaism and among the Jewry. The Christians, who by that time consisted largely of Jews, but with a great influx of Goyim, were ostracized from Judaism. It was at this point that Judaism and Christianity diverged into radically different paths. Pharisaic Judaism was the precursor to modern Rabbinical Judaism.

OK, so the Jews and the Christians worship the same god--that who identified himself to Abraham as Jehovah, but how about the Muslims? Do they worship the same diety as the Jews and Christians albiet by another name?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:41 am
Oops, Terry...big brainfart on my part. Embarrassed Thanks for reminding me there.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 08:42 am
Redhawk, Muslims not only worship the same God but incorporate stories from the Bible into the Qur'an, including the birth of Jesus whom they consider to be a prophet.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:45 am
reading along
0 Replies

redhawk44

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:53 am
Terry wrote:
Redhawk, Muslims not only worship the same God but incorporate stories from the Bible into the Qur'an, including the birth of Jesus whom they consider to be a prophet.

Thanks, that is what I thought.

I was told recently that they (muslims) did not worship the same god as Jews and Christians.

This issue came up as a byproduct of another argument about the General who, in making a speech to a Christian church, stated that some criminal in Somalia had a god that was inferior to our (the Christian) god. I took the statement to mean that the criminal was worshiping the gods of greed and avarice, but my friend took it as a statement against Islam. When I pointed out that the Christian god, IS the muslim god, he said that I was wrong, so I thought I would ask you guys here since you are more up to speed on things like this.

Thanks again.
0 Replies