How far can inductive reasoning take us?

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:39 pm
I'm aware that there are 2 types of reasoning, i.e inductive and deductive.

I understand how both work, but what my worry is that inductive reasoning may have some flaws that are just taking advantage of modern science.

Take a look at the big bang theory, I know it has 3 compelling evidence to suggest an expanding universe. The first and the best is galaxies exceeding away from us at a constant rate(hubble constant).. but what I'm worried about is, the theory ASSUMES that if galaxies are moving away from us than in the past they must of been alot closer and at some point in the past(14-15 billion years ago), they would of all been so close that the law of physics/nature just break down.

My question is HOW DO WE KNOW, that this is the case... that in the past it followed the condition to what we see today?

Also hubble constant does not apply to other cluster of galaxies, only our galaxies right? just correct me on this one.

The theory is the best among all the other theories, and I don't deny galaxies expanding and cosmic microwave background etc..

But my problem is inductive reasoning only works if we assume certain things.

:detective:

Thanks Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,003 • Replies: 17
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:16 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;147630 wrote:

I understand how both work, but what my worry is that inductive reasoning may have some flaws that are just taking advantage of modern science.

Take a look at the big bang theory, I know it has 3 compelling evidence to suggest an expanding universe. The first and the best is galaxies exceeding away from us at a constant rate(hubble constant).. but what I'm worried about is, the theory ASSUMES that if galaxies are moving away from us than in the past they must of been alot closer and at some point in the past(14-15 billion years ago), they would of all been so close that the law of physics/nature just break down.

My question is HOW DO WE KNOW, that this is the case... that in the past it followed the condition to what we see today?

Also hubble constant does not apply to other cluster of galaxies, only our galaxies right? just correct me on this one.

The theory is the best among all the other theories, and I don't deny galaxies expanding and cosmic microwave background etc..

Thanks Very Happy

What, do you think, would it be like to know that the unobserved and even unobservable (in this case, the future) is like the observed (in this case, the past) if what we have is not knowledge?

The fact that we have to assume certain things does not matter as long as what we assume is true. I don't know of anything that we know without assuming some other things. Do you?
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;147630 wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

As you look further way, you look far to the past. Scientists are able to piece a picture of the average distance between objects to our time. They found that they are moving away at a constant rate.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:58 pm
@ikurwa89,
Quote:

I don't deny galaxies expanding and cosmic microwave background etc..

there are not many galaxies that they can eliminate as the source of micro-waves , however , very few actually
0 Replies

ikurwa89

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;147682 wrote:
What, do you think, would it be like to know that the unobserved and even unobservable (in this case, the future) is like the observed (in this case, the past) if what we have is not knowledge?

The fact that we have to assume certain things does not matter as long as what we assume is true. I don't know of anything that we know without assuming some other things. Do you?

That's the problem.. how do we know it's true?

How do we know that 10billion years ago, galaxies were expanding? what if they were not? what if the universe goes through a series of expansion and contraction?

There will always be some true statements that we will never be able to prove them as true!

Your last question, is what bothers me.. is that we ASSUME it to be true! What reason/evidence do you have to suggest that's the case?

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 01:05 PM ----------

TuringEquivalent;148027 wrote:
As you look further way, you look far to the past. Scientists are able to piece a picture of the average distance between objects to our time. They found that they are moving away at a constant rate.

Hubbles law does NOT apply to far away galaxies, only to the cluster of galaxies that the milky way belongs to.

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 01:06 PM ----------

north;148032 wrote:
there are not many galaxies that they can eliminate as the source of micro-waves , however , very few actually

Huh?? I don't get what your trying to say?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;148041 wrote:
That's the problem.. how do we know it's true?

How do we know that 10billion years ago, galaxies were expanding? what if they were not? what if the universe goes through a series of expansion and contraction?

There will always be some true statements that we will never be able to prove them as true!

Your last question, is what bothers me.. is that we ASSUME it to be true! What reason/evidence do you have to suggest that's the case?

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 01:05 PM ----------

I think that your difficulty concerns knowing with certainty so what not only do we know, but we know that we know, so that we know we are not wrong. But it is not necessary to know that we know in order to know. We might always be wrong, of course. But that does not mean that we are wrong. And if we are right, then we do know. It is difficult to be certain, but that does not mean we cannot know.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:34 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

Hubbles law does NOT apply to far away galaxies, only to the cluster of galaxies that the milky way belongs to.

This is cheap.
Hubble law is v=h*d.

This implies that for a object a distance d away from us are moving with relative velocity v.

Also, space is isotropic, so this implies that every two object a distance d away will move at relative velocity v.
north

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:02 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

Quote:

Huh?? I don't get what your trying to say?

that microwave evidence is not evidence of the big-bang
ikurwa89

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:08 am
@north,
north;148065 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

that microwave evidence is not evidence of the big-bang

It was predicated by the big bang theory... which is evidence for expanding universe..

---------- Post added 04-04-2010 at 04:18 PM ----------

TuringEquivalent;148052 wrote:
This is cheap.
Hubble law is v=h*d.

This implies that for a object a distance d away from us are moving with relative velocity v.

Also, space is isotropic, so this implies that every two object a distance d away will move at relative velocity v.

WMAP- Big Bang Expansion: the Hubble Constant (have a little read where hubble law breaks down)

In modern physical cosmology, the cosmological principle is the working assumption that observers on Earth do not occupy any restrictive or distorted observational location within the universe as a whole. As astronomer William Keel explains:
[INDENT]The cosmological principle is usually stated formally as 'Viewed on a sufficiently large scale, the properties of the Universe are the same for all observers.' This amounts to the strongly philosophical statement that the part of the Universe which we can see is a fair sample, and that the same physical laws apply throughout. In essence, this in a sense says that the Universe is knowable and is playing fair with scientists.[1]

Cosmological principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The point of this thread was, how is inductive reasoning that experts in the field use can decieve us.
[/INDENT]
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:55 am
@ikurwa89,
Quote:
WMAP- Big Bang Expansion: the Hubble Constant (have a little read where hubble law breaks down)

In modern physical cosmology, the cosmological principle is the working assumption that observers on Earth do not occupy any restrictive or distorted observational location within the universe as a whole. As astronomer William Keel explains:
The cosmological principle is usually stated formally as 'Viewed on a sufficiently large scale, the properties of the Universe are the same for all observers.' This amounts to the strongly philosophical statement that the part of the Universe which we can see is a fair sample, and that the same physical laws apply throughout. In essence, this in a sense says that the Universe is knowable and is playing fair with scientists.[1]

Cosmological principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The point of this thread was, how is inductive reasoning that experts in the field use can decieve us.

My only point is that hubble is v=hd. There is no reference to galaxies, or cluster galaxies. To say that the law makes reference to specifics objects is wrong.
trismegisto

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:15 am
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;147630 wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

Science is funny that way. As far as I know science and reality don't match up. Thats why CERN is so hot to find their imaginary Higgins Boson. But following your line of thought, how would we use science to determine if the "laws" of physics we observe today have remained constant throughout the life of the universe? everything we know of the universe suggests constant change, I suppose the same should be applied to how the universe behaves.
0 Replies

ikurwa89

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:28 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;148120 wrote:
My only point is that hubble is v=hd. There is no reference to galaxies, or cluster galaxies. To say that the law makes reference to specifics objects is wrong.

That equation you speak of is referenced to galaxies.. and galaxies only in our cluster.

v for velocity with respect to galaxies... v needs a frame of reference.

saying v= 25 m/s make no sense in physics... it need frame of reference.. hence it is referring to galaxies and what i'm trying to say is that law does not apply outside our cluster of galaxies i.e the virgo cluster.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:38 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;148194 wrote:

That equation you speak of is referenced to galaxies.. and galaxies only in our cluster.

..... hence it is referring to galaxies and what i'm trying to say is that law does not apply outside our cluster of galaxies i.e the virgo cluster.

This makes no sense at all.

There are no preferred location in space. To say that the law does not apply to outside our cluster galaxy is to say that there is something special about our location is our cluster galaxy.

What you say violates symmetry principles.
ikurwa89

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:01 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;148308 wrote:
This makes no sense at all.

There are no preferred location in space. To say that the law does not apply to outside our cluster galaxy is to say that there is something special about our location is our cluster galaxy.

What you say violates symmetry principles.

No, i'm wasn't implying our cluster of galaxy is special.. I'm just saying that the hubble law does not apply to galaxies outside our cluster of galaxies.

I would recommend you to look up HOW hubble discovered this, and see where this particular law breaks down.

Hence it brings me back to my thread as to how far can inductive reasoning take us? How certain are we with our assumptions?

---------- Post added 04-05-2010 at 11:03 AM ----------

trismegisto;148127 wrote:
Science is funny that way. As far as I know science and reality don't match up. Thats why CERN is so hot to find their imaginary Higgins Boson. But following your line of thought, how would we use science to determine if the "laws" of physics we observe today have remained constant throughout the life of the universe? everything we know of the universe suggests constant change, I suppose the same should be applied to how the universe behaves.

This universe is built on change, hence it would make sense that these law of nature change through out time.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:50 pm
@ikurwa89,
Quote:
No, i'm wasn't implying our cluster of galaxy is special.. I'm just saying that the hubble law does not apply to galaxies outside our cluster of galaxies.

I would recommend you to look up HOW hubble discovered this, and see where this particular law breaks down.

Hence it brings me back to my thread as to how far can inductive reasoning take us? How certain are we with our assumptions?

This is wrong. hubble ` s law if it is a law must apply to every single object in the universe. This is a result of symmetry principles. The laws of physics do not change.
Huxley

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:42 am
@TuringEquivalent,
At the very least, to the point of nature utility -- I think that's patently true, no matter which theory of science you subscribe to.
0 Replies

Alan Masterman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:48 am
@ikurwa89,
Hi Ikurwa89,

When we think about science, a lot of our difficulties arise from the fact that we instinctively want to use the outmoded vocabulary of classical metaphysics. "Classical Metaphysics" was invented by guys like Plato and Aristotle, and was the accepted mainstream way of thinking until the 19th Century, although the first torpedo was fired against it by David Hume in the 1700's.

In particular, we instinctively want to understand in terms of "true" and "false", and "cause" and "effect". Modern science has no use for these terms, except perhaps as a convenient conversational shorthand.

The "Big Bang" theory is generally accepted because it is the simplest and most economical hypothesis to account for the data as we have them. Any alternative hypothesis would need to be much more complicated and fantastic, and would require far more evidence than is currently available. Of course, you could fall back on intelligent design theory, which is what people do who want to dodge the difficult scientific questions!

The secret to inductive reasoning is to outgrow the philosophically-childish need for "proof" and "certainty", and replace it with the question "does this appear to lead somewhere constructive?"
kennethamy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:59 am
@Alan Masterman,
Alan Masterman;167678 wrote:
Hi Ikurwa89,

The secret to inductive reasoning is to outgrow the philosophically-childish need for "proof" and "certainty", and replace it with the question "does this appear to lead somewhere constructive?"

I, myself, see nothing wrong with "truth", "proof", or "certainty" as long as these terms are used intelligently, and not used to mean something they do not really mean. But how would you propose to outgrow the question, 'is it true that we should replace the term "true" with something different?' ? How should we ask that question avoiding, at the same time, the term "true"?
0 Replies