Help me create new words that are needed.

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:56 pm
I am trying to assemble a list of words that need to be created. seeing as how there are so many words and languages we may be able to take some from another language.

I am in search of a word like exist to use on things(need a word for things that technically are not things) with no shape or location. im sure we have all heard that love,truth, hope, and many other concepts dont exist because they have no shape or location. some times you can say things occur but it seems a new word is needed. I will be adding many more examples over time as i have noticed a need for many new words but i just cant remember them all but i will.

feel free to post any ideas you have of words that need to be created or describe things that dont fit under any other word or definition.

i will add more as i have found myself writing "for lack of a better word" many many times while engaging in philosophical discussion. I feel that this could led to a breakthrough in many areas of philosophy as misunderstanding is a big problem in any explanation.

thanks and i cant believe this has not been done already. i have a feeling someone will know of someone that has done this already whos created words just haven't caught on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;174778 wrote:
I am trying to assemble a list of words that need to be created. seeing as how there are so many words and languages we may be able to take some from another language.

I am in search of a word like exist to use on things(need a word for things that technically are not things) with no shape or location. im sure we have all heard that love,truth, hope, and many other concepts dont exist because they have no shape or location. some times you can say things occur but it seems a new word is needed. I will be adding many more examples over time as i have noticed a need for many new words but i just cant remember them all but i will.

feel free to post any ideas you have of words that need to be created or describe things that dont fit under any other word or definition.

i will add more as i have found myself writing "for lack of a better word" many many times while engaging in philosophical discussion. I feel that this could led to a breakthrough in many areas of philosophy as misunderstanding is a big problem in any explanation.

thanks and i cant believe this has not been done already. i have a feeling someone will know of someone that has done this already whos created words just haven't caught on.

Moral form, or moral reality works for me... Not real, so no truely a concept either...

Look at Heidegger... To express his thoughts on phenomenology he made up words or bent and borrowed words to suit his purpose... I guess I do too
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:50 pm
@Doubt doubt,
While I am unsure about the ontological status of their existence, the term abstract concepts comes to mind.
Krumple

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@Doubt doubt,
I thought there was already a philosophical word for what you are looking for.

Emptiness.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:11 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;174811 wrote:
While I am unsure about the ontological status of their existence, the term abstract concepts comes to mind.

All concepts are abstracts...
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@Fido,
adeictic, is a linguistic term that covers it. the adeictic is that which has no definitve direction, place, location, definiteness, or time, all of which necessitate and unknowing of physical shape or feature.
Fido

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:08 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;174883 wrote:
adeictic, is a linguistic term that covers it. the adeictic is that which has no definitve direction, place, location, definiteness, or time, all of which necessitate and unknowing of physical shape or feature.

So emotions are adeictic???... Mine are hectic...
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 10:23 am
@Fido,
Fido;174928 wrote:
So emotions are adeictic???... Mine are hectic...

Emotions may or may not express deixis. Deixis is comepletly user subjective.
0 Replies