What frightens you more, anarchy or abusive authority?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 09:36 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
definition of anarchy, the absence of government
That IS the definition.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 10:02 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

If the world were made up of only ubermenchen we would not need government (my definition of anarchy, the absence of government), but given that that is not (and probably never will be) the case we must live with our regulatory creation but constantly struggle to keep it in good (democratic) condition. The popular idea of anarchy is a macho romance.

You are, of course, correct. There have been a few practical models of anarchism, like anarcho-syndacalism, but the current state of international politics and ecological emergency have pretty much made that plan, and others like it, defunct.

But by the same token, i don't imagine that you are suggesting that naively accepted authority is the solution...man, i didn't realize i had stepped into a 4-year-old thread when i originally posted.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 11:17 pm
@JLNobody,
Government cannot be relied upon to regulate itself just as the economy cannot be relied to do so. As I noted above government, our regulatory creation, must be subjected always to the scrutiny of our democratic ideals. Government must be protected against unbridled lust for power and the economy must be protected against unregulated greed. No political or economic system is self-maintaining. To assume they can be is the fantasy of utopians
0 Replies