Gandhi quotes

polpol

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 12:06 pm
I'm not sure if I have the exact words..."Only when we have gone too far do we know how far we can go".

---------- Post added 03-07-2010 at 01:49 PM ----------

Gandhi's seven deadly sins that may destroy us:

Wealth without work

Pleasure without Conscience

Knowledge without Character

Commerce (business), without Morality (Ethics)

Science without Humanity

Religion without Sacrifice

Politics without Principle

His son or grandson added an 8th one:

Rights without

Responsibility
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,278 • Replies: 19
No top replies

polpol

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@polpol,
One more quote: "prayer is when you speak to God and meditation is when God speaks to you".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 10:17 pm
@polpol,
that first one pretty well sums up Wall Street, don't it?

Of course why would they listen to Gandhi. There's no money to be made doing that.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 10:44 pm
@polpol,
polpol;137240 wrote:
I'm not sure if I have the exact words..."Only when we have gone too far do we know how far we can go".

---------- Post added 03-07-2010 at 01:49 PM ----------

Gandhi's seven deadly sins that may destroy us:

Wealth without work

Pleasure without Conscience

Knowledge without Character

Commerce (business), without Morality (Ethics)

Science without Humanity

Religion without Sacrifice

Politics without Principle

His son or grandson added an 8th one:

Rights without

Responsibility

WAS GANDHI A TANTRIC
polpol

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 01:18 pm
@kennethamy,
What is a Tantric? I vaguely remember it's some kind of religion, I'm not sure.
mister kitten

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:24 pm
@polpol,
"Wherever there is light, there will be shadow."

I remember reading or hearing someone say he said that. Or maybe the message got scrambled along the way to my brain!
kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@polpol,
polpol;137596 wrote:
What is a Tantric? I vaguely remember it's some kind of religion, I'm not sure.

Read the site, or look it up in a dictionary.
polpol

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:56 pm
@kennethamy,
No, I wouldn't say he was Tantric. He was a Hindu by birth and had only basic knowledge of Hinduism as a youngster. He learned a lot about his religion in England because many people were interested in Eastern religions at that time. He even became a convinced vegetarian in England, until then he just abided by his family's rules. Gandhi did not like to be labelled a Hindu though he was. He once said "Yes, I am a Hindu, I am also a Jew and a muslim". He would often say "my religion" referring to his conviction that there are as many religions as there are people. He saw "Religion" as the trunk of a tree with the different religions as branches and the various personal beleafs as offshoots. I guess that would make him a mystic humanist, but again, he didn't like labels.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:14 pm
@polpol,
polpol;137672 wrote:
No, I wouldn't say he was Tantric.

I think you're on pretty safe ground there
kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;137677 wrote:
I think you're on pretty safe ground there

I don't know about that. If he wasn't then why did he insist on sleeping with young girls into his old age? (What other explanation could there be for wanting to sleep with young girls)?
polpol

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@mister kitten,
Yes Mister Kitten, he said that. It comes from the Baghav.G. and it goes on to say that after the darkness comes the light. We find this idea in different cultures, in bad times we must remain brave and think that things are bound to change and in good times we must think of the future because nothing lasts forever, something like that. But tell me what does "re da il cielo" mean and please don't tell me to look it up in the dictionary, your reply will go faster.

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 06:03 PM ----------

jeeprs, I saw elswhere that you practice Budhism. I was reading about that today about how Modern physics and Eastern Philosophies coincide. I finally understood how Budhism can be said to be an atheist religion. We you say that?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:18 pm
@polpol,
It depends on what you mean by 'atheism'. If by atheism you mean 'hostile to religion and spirituality and believes God a delusion' then definitely not. The Buddha teaches people to accept responsibility for their own destiny and as far as metaphysics is concerned, not to speculate about things we can never know. The core teaching of the Buddha is 'cease to do evil, learn to do good, and purify the mind'. It sounds very simple but few accomplish it.

I know of a good essay on 'Buddhism and the God Idea' by a Theravada scholar if you would like the reference.
polpol

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 07:04 pm
@jeeprs,
Yes, I would like that, thank you kindly. I get what you are saying about "atheism". No, I don't mean that. Glad to know you Jeeprs.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 07:33 pm
@polpol,
And you too! That essay is Buddhism and the God-idea. That is a Theravada view. The Mahayana view may be different. But it is a good essay. :bigsmile:
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137681 wrote:
I don't know about that. If he wasn't then why did he insist on sleeping with young girls into his old age? (What other explanation could there be for wanting to sleep with young girls)?

He wanted to test himself. He wanted to see if he had self-control.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;137747 wrote:
He wanted to test himself. He wanted to see if he had self-control.

How did he make out? And how can I get a gig like that? What an idea!
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:43 pm
@polpol,
you can only get it, if you don't want it. If you want it, you are disqualified in advance.

Ironic, huh.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;137751 wrote:
you can only get it, if you don't want it. If you want it, you are disqualified in advance.

Ironic, huh.

Damn! Can't I just pretend not to want it, like Gandhi. I can just see myself putting on my diaper and politely asking two young things to share my bed with me so that I can exercise self-control. I can't guess what they would say. Think I should try it-I mean when it gets warmer?
polpol

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 01:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137756 wrote:
Damn! Can't I just pretend not to want it, like Gandhi. I can just see myself putting on my diaper and politely asking two young things to share my bed with me so that I can exercise self-control. I can't guess what they would say. Think I should try it-I mean when it gets warmer?

Dream about it, stupid idiot!
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 10:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137681 wrote:
I (What other explanation could there be for wanting to sleep with young girls)?

Hi Ken,
To create offspring, perhaps?

Thank you, and multiply magnificently.

Mark...
0 Replies