There's more than one way to communicate

Marius

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:47 am
Yet so many philosophers seem to focus purely on words. So here's a change of pace:

http://www.art-is-fun.com/image-files/abstract-art-music.jpg

That's my current philosophy. I'll leave it up to you how to interpret it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 777 • Replies: 7
No top replies

raidon04

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 06:32 pm
@Marius,
Maintaining the theme YouTube - Ashes and Snow- Feather to Fire
Numerous interpretations, all of wonder
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:05 pm
@Marius,
Marius;131056 wrote:
Yet so many philosophers seem to focus purely on words.

I agree. Therefore the accusation of logocentrism. Some philosophers have recognized the superiority of music, for instance, for representing certain aspects of experience.
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@Marius,
Great idea for a thread. I sometimes rely on Youtube to achieve a deeper understanding about other cultures, people and ideas than words could possibly convey.

PF's "Catchebula" first linked to the below video, but I think it deserves a repeat play in this thread.

Hint: hit the title at the top of the link to see the video on Youtube. It benefits greatly from the larger screen.

Since the image has fine detail, for maximum appreciation, when you get to Youtube, at the bottom of the video increase 360p up to 480 p. Then go to giant screen (4-cornered box at the bottom right corner of the Youtube video).

rebecca

YouTube - Kseniya Simonova - Sand Animation (??????? ??? ?????? / Ukraine's Got Talent)
Amperage

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:47 pm
@melonkali,
Just hearing this....and seeing the images is so thought provoking

YouTube - for the love of god
0 Replies

pantheras

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:32 am
@Marius,
YouTube - Louis Armstrong - Hello, Dolly!
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:06 am
@Marius,
Marius;131056 wrote:
Yet so many philosophers seem to focus purely on words.

That's not just by accident, though. Words are coming at us all the time, and its healthy to reflect on what they mean, or rather it is unhealthy not to.

Has anyone here read David Abram's The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World (1997)? I haven't; it's just a book I've been thinking I should read.
0 Replies

Marius

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:13 pm
@Marius,
Quote:
That's not just by accident, though. Words are coming at us all the time, and its healthy to reflect on what they mean, or rather it is unhealthy not to.

I agree that words certainly deserve their PLACE in philosophy. But one need only look around to see that art & song & story are coming at us JUST as often, if not MORE.
0 Replies