The roots of philosophy...

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:13 pm
@Fido,
Fido;136743 wrote:
We can't think except by unities... Dogs are unities...Cats are unities...If you cannot class everything with the united examples of the same class then forms/ideas would be useless...

Yes, I agree. And this is Wittgenstein. Except that a study of the most abstract concept can reveal a thing or two. The essence of the mind, for instance, which is the imposition of essence.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:23 pm
@Marius,
The mind is an abstraction of an abstraction called the brain...Yet, it is still an infinite, and as an infinite cannot be conceived, so it exists in the only way it can be said to exist, as a certain meaning unique to all of us...
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:29 pm
@Fido,
Fido;137019 wrote:
The mind is an abstraction of an abstraction called the brain...Yet, it is still an infinite, and as an infinite cannot be conceived, so it exists in the only way it can be said to exist, as a certain meaning unique to all of us...

We are close in our views, except that the "brain" is also an abstraction. For me, the key is to remember that all abstractions are imposed by "us," including this abstraction "us." Including: mind/matter, self/other, etc.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:49 pm
@Marius,
That is what I said... Or rather, wrote..
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:14 pm
@Fido,
Fido;137044 wrote:
That is what I said... Or rather, wrote..

Then we agree. Nice. Sorry if I didn't see that at first. All n all, in think we understand 1 another.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 05:20 am
@Marius,
It is so rare to find myself in agreement with anyone that when I am it makes me think I must be wrong...
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:12 am
@Fido,
Fido;137160 wrote:
It is so rare to find myself in agreement with anyone that when I am it makes me think I must be wrong...

Well, I might be biased but I think you're right.
0 Replies