Splitting the cost of a meal

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:32 am
Yourself and a group of friends just had dinner at an expensive restaurant. The bill has arrived. How will it be split? Do you each pay for whatever you ate? Do you split the bill evenly by the number of people in the group? Does whoever have the most money pay most of the bill? Which of these is the fairest and why? Finally, do you see any parallels with taxes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 33
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:34 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162410 wrote:
Yourself and a group of friends just had dinner at an expensive restaurant. The bill has arrived. How will it be split? Do you each pay for whatever you ate? Do you split the bill evenly by the number of people in the group? Does whoever have the most money pay most of the bill? Which of these is the fairest and why? Finally, do you see any parallels with taxes?

I usually excuse myself to visit the bathroom.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:47 am
@Night Ripper,
One can always ask for separate checks.

How a check is split up often depends on the group and the unwritten rule they have established. Some groups will simply split evenly, others will pass the check around for everyone to add up their portion of the cost (especially if the bar tab is greater than the food bill). The most interesting aspect of the question is who makes up the difference if the contributions fall short?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:59 am
@Night Ripper,
It seems to me, if I were to actually answer the question posed by myself, that I would rank their fairness from fairest to unfairest as "seperate checks", "splitting the check" and finally, "rich guy pays". Yet, despite "rich guy pays" being the least fair, it's how the USA tax system works. If you make nothing you pay nothing. The more money you make, the more you pay, regardless of what you ordered off the menu.
Jebediah

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:21 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162419 wrote:
It seems to me, if I were to actually answer the question posed by myself, that I would rank their fairness from fairest to unfairest as "seperate checks", "splitting the check" and finally, "rich guy pays". Yet, despite "rich guy pays" being the least fair, it's how the USA tax system works. If you make nothing you pay nothing. The more money you make, the more you pay, regardless of what you ordered off the menu.

That is how the US tax system works, but in the US not everyone is "eating the meal".
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:04 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162425 wrote:
That is how the US tax system works, but in the US not everyone is "eating the meal".

You mean there are people that don't use police, roads, libraries, parks, etc? I think everyone is eating, and just about evenly, but a few rich guys are getting stuck with the check while others head for the bathroom.
Jebediah

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:25 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162438 wrote:
You mean there are people that don't use police, roads, libraries, parks, etc? I think everyone is eating, and just about evenly, but a few rich guys are getting stuck with the check while others head for the bathroom.

This is where you run into trouble by starting with an analogy.

I could counter analogy with saying it's more like the poor people are working at the restaurant, and the rich pay them for it. The rich don't eat without the middle class and the poor, and they aren't rich without the rest of the people in society.

Or I could say, the poor person has 1 hamburger which the government leaves alone, and the rich person has 100 hamburgers of which the government takes 35, leaving him with 65 hamburgers for the meal, and say that this system is better than only taking 30 from the rich person and taking half of the poor persons hamburger.

But we're still stuck in analogies which seems a bit pointless.
blogbomber

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:38 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;162416 wrote:
One can always ask for separate checks.

How a check is split up often depends on the group and the unwritten rule they have established. Some groups will simply split evenly, others will pass the check around for everyone to add up their portion of the cost (especially if the bar tab is greater than the food bill). The most interesting aspect of the question is who makes up the difference if the contributions fall short?

I agree about the unwritten rule. You need to know the company you are sharing a meal with. And if you don't know the group, it doesn't hurt to ask the group at the table how they want to split it up or you can preemptively ask the waitress to split yours from the group before it even comes up as an issue.

The person who would make up the difference is the person who could vouch for the other. If its a friend, usually payment for their meal is in full with no string attached.

If its a stranger/acquaintance/quasi-friend Maybe think about the frequency of seeing them again and pay accordingly.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:42 am
@Night Ripper,
I never lose sleep over being too generous.
I don't have any friends who feel differently.

If I am eating with aquaintances, separate checks.
xris

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:08 pm
@wayne,
Too right, if you feel aggrieved your not in the company of friends. Divide it by how many there are. Except for the obvious differences. Not complicated , is it?
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:20 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162442 wrote:
Or I could say, the poor person has 1 hamburger which the government leaves alone, and the rich person has 100 hamburgers of which the government takes 35, leaving him with 65 hamburgers for the meal, and say that this system is better than only taking 30 from the rich person and taking half of the poor persons hamburger.

So whichever victim can take the most abuse, gets the most abuse?
Jebediah

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:32 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162453 wrote:

Are we talking about victims and abuse, or people at a restaurant and hamburgers? (Clearly we aren't talking about citizens and taxes)
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162456 wrote:
Are we talking about victims and abuse, or people at a restaurant and hamburgers? (Clearly we aren't talking about citizens and taxes)

Someone taking money from you against your will is theft and makes you a victim.
wayne

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162453 wrote:

How can this be considered abuse? I doubt that the wealthy man will go hungry, or be forced to live in his car.

Sounds like you prefer the law of the jungle.

There is a price tag on everything, including prosperity.

Actually ,there are systems that work as you seem to suppose as fair and equal. The cost of a speeding ticket, for instance.
Perhaps you can explain how a $100 ticket is a fair and equal punishment for the single mother as opposed to the billionaire.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:38 pm
@Night Ripper,

With the cost of a meal, there should be agreement before going out to eat. Then there is no question about who pays what.

With taxes, the rich are benefiting from the laws more than anyone else, so they should pay more. You don't think that those who get more should pay the same as those who get less, do you?
sometime sun

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@Night Ripper,

Group, pay for what you consume, simple.
You want to keep your friends don't you? don't be automatic in assuming they want to pay for every one else stomach.
People might feel embarrassed because they don't have the money to pay for their own hunger let alone what can often be viewed as someone else's greed.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:10 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;163136 wrote:
With taxes, the rich are benefiting from the laws more than anyone else, so they should pay more. You don't think that those who get more should pay the same as those who get less, do you?

If the richer are indeed getting more for their additional money than the poor then you would be right. The problem is, how do you think the rich benefit more? Did the government make them rich? No. Does the government give them extra services, free helicopter rides or a pony? No. So then what exactly do you think it is that rich people are getting more of? If anything it's the poor that get all the free handouts from the government.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:42 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162457 wrote:
Someone taking money from you against your will is theft and makes you a victim.

So, every time I pay my phone bill I am the victim of theft?
Night Ripper

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166895 wrote:
So, every time I pay my phone bill I am the victim of theft?

No because you don't pay your phone bill against your will. You entered into a voluntary agreement to pay the phone company. If you don't, according to the terms of the agreement, the phone company will discontinue your service and turn the remaining debt over to a collection agency.
fast

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:19 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;162457 wrote:

Not every instance of taking money from you against your will is theft, even if the emotions for why you say it drives you to say it. Taxation isn't theft. Theft is illegal. Taxation isn't.

ETA: just like capital punishment isn't murder.